Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Hikari
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/05/11

Loc: Maine, USA
Re: Mount for DSLR and 200mm lens or shorter new [Re: hoa101]
      #5658861 - 02/02/13 08:23 PM

Quote:

I would feel a little silly buying a Sirius/HEQ5 Pro, GM8, Tak or ieq30-type mount for just camera...

Well, a telescope is just a lens. I started with buying a Takahashi mount with a side by side plate for a camera and guide scope. I hate to think of myself as silly...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Patrick
Postmaster

Reged: 05/16/03

Loc: Franklin, Ohio
      #5659044 - 02/02/13 10:37 PM

One mount not mentioned so far is the Vixen GP2. My sample has a PE of +/- 7 arc seconds. The mount and tripod are quite portable. I love mine and use it for scopes up to my c6 sct.

Patrick

pfile
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/14/09

Re: Mount for DSLR and 200mm lens or shorter new [Re: Patrick]
      #5659276 - 02/03/13 01:55 AM

i used an orion skyview pro for quite a while with a 200mm lens. but as others have pointed out, the chinese mounts can have problems and mine did - DEC stiction. i tried to solve it but failed.

also having gotos is pretty important for me. with the SVP it was very hard to center my targets, even using plate solving software. with just a hand controller everything has to be done using dead reckoning. 10m away from the target? hold down the button for 70 seconds at 8x tracking rate. wrong direction? oops. back for 140 seconds.

Patrick
Postmaster

Reged: 05/16/03

Loc: Franklin, Ohio
      #5659449 - 02/03/13 07:23 AM

Is goto a requirement? You may want to put the new Celestron VX on your list.

Patrick

hoa101

Reged: 02/04/12

Loc: Northern Virginia
Re: Mount for DSLR and 200mm lens or shorter new [Re: Patrick]
      #5659529 - 02/03/13 08:51 AM

People have raised that point, and I tend to agree. With a 200mm lens all by itself on the mount, framing a dim object will be nearly impossible without goto. Or extremely frustrating at any rate.

I have to admit, I am leaning heavily toward the Orion Sirius mount at this point. It is a touch heavy for my purpose, but has all the features and is a well-proven system. A look on Astrobin proves that beyond any doubt.

I really think some of the new mounts look good, but I'm reluctant to spend that kind of money for them just yet.

Quote:

Patrick

Tim C
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/11/07

Loc: Marietta, GA
      #5659543 - 02/03/13 09:02 AM

I think the Orion Sirius would be a good choice. Really, unless you are looking for something super portable for longer trips you should go ahead and by a mount in this class (maybe you should go ahead and spring for the Atlas/CGEM although I think the Sirius will perform just a s well for OTAs in the 4 inch refractor class or the smaller RC's for longer focal lengths). You'll wind up there eventually if you like astrophotography at all and in the long run it will be much less expensive to just start there.

Quote:

People have raised that point, and I tend to agree. With a 200mm lens all by itself on the mount, framing a dim object will be nearly impossible without goto. Or extremely frustrating at any rate.

I have to admit, I am leaning heavily toward the Orion Sirius mount at this point. It is a touch heavy for my purpose, but has all the features and is a well-proven system. A look on Astrobin proves that beyond any doubt.

I really think some of the new mounts look good, but I'm reluctant to spend that kind of money for them just yet.

Quote:

Patrick

terry59
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/18/11

Loc: Colorado, USA
      #5659592 - 02/03/13 09:35 AM

Quote:

If you get the Sirius and are going to have a laptop hooked up, I highly recommed you use EQMOD instead of the SynScan hnd controller.

mmalik
Postmaster

Reged: 01/13/12

Loc: USA
      #5659815 - 02/03/13 11:42 AM

Quote:

Mount for DSLR and 200mm lens or shorter

Most important question will be how long you intend to do 200mm AP; if any bit serious, you'll probably grow out of 200mm phase quickly hence any mounts you get ONLY for this particular setup? Thx

mmalik
Postmaster

Reged: 01/13/12

Loc: USA
Re: Mount for DSLR and 200mm lens or shorter new [Re: mmalik]
      #5659851 - 02/03/13 12:00 PM

These are the tools... (iPad/SkySafari Pro/SkyWire...) I use for night sky navigation, pointing, aligning/sync, framing, etc.; if you need such functionality/convenience, then look for a compatible mount. Thx

gezak22
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/15/04

Loc: On far side of moon. Send help...
      #5659912 - 02/03/13 12:39 PM

Quote:

I disagree. I am using a 400mm scope without goto and I have found the manual setting circles to be more than sufficient. Simply push-to a bright star near 0 dec and adjust the manual setting circles to read the coordinates of the star. Now push-to your target's coordinates. Done.

Sure, go-to is faster and simpler, but it's not required.

hoa101

Re: Mount for DSLR and 200mm lens or shorter new [Re: gezak22]
      #5660467 - 02/03/13 05:53 PM

You underestimate my laziness.

Quote:

I disagree. I am using a 400mm scope without goto and I have found the manual setting circles to be more than sufficient. Simply push-to a bright star near 0 dec and adjust the manual setting circles to read the coordinates of the star. Now push-to your target's coordinates. Done.

Sure, go-to is faster and simpler, but it's not required.

gezak22
scholastic sledgehammer

#5660503 - 02/03/13 06:12 PM

Quote:

You underestimate my laziness.

Seriously though, aligning a go-to mount such that go-tos are accurate is about as time consuming as aligning a push-to mount such that push-tos are accurate. Of course I am assuming that you are imaging at 400mm or less with an 8300 sized sensor or bigger. I guess maybe the GM-8 with its clutchless design may have an unfair advantage over other mounts with a clutch when considering using it as a push-to mount.

And if you are spending all that time focusing your f/2.8 optics (it's a pain in the neck - I've been there), then push-to will not be an issue.

But don't get me wrong, go-to is nice, and if it comes for free with the mount, use it!

pfile
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/14/09

Re: Mount for DSLR and 200mm lens or shorter new [Re: gezak22]
      #5660674 - 02/03/13 08:25 PM

if you use astrotortilla it's very easy to get on your target with a goto mount. just 2 iterations and you're there.

hoa101

Re: Mount for DSLR and 200mm lens or shorter new [Re: pfile]
      #5662215 - 02/04/13 05:57 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone, it's been very helpful. I pulled the trigger on a Sirius mount. I do not think I'll be disappointed.

One question though, what type of DC power connector does it come with? Is it a cigarette lighter thing or something strange?

RogerRZ
Whatta you lookin' at?

Reged: 01/09/06

Loc: West Collette, NB, Canada
      #5662986 - 02/05/13 07:38 AM

I think you will be pleased with your purchase. If you're like most every other astrophotographer, sooner or later you will want to image at longer focal lengths, and this mount will work well up to at least 1000mm (some go longer, but longer is heavier, so one needs to be careful).

Unless they have changed since I bought my EQ6 Pro (the first cousin once removed to the Sirius), they have a cigarette lighter plug on the end of the power cord.

hoa101

Re: Mount for DSLR and 200mm lens or shorter new [Re: RogerRZ]
      #5663203 - 02/05/13 09:56 AM

Yeah, I'm pretty excited. Initially I was going to just go all-out and get the Magnificant Mini SSAG package as well... but I decided to just do unguided stuff for awhile. That way I can take it slow and spend money on other things.

I obtained a used Intel Atom/Win XP netbook on the cheap and have ordered my AGM battery, shoestring USB connector, etcetera. Should be good to go when the mount arrives.

JMW
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/11/07

Loc: Nevada
      #5664298 - 02/05/13 08:44 PM

I have a red dot finder that mates with the Flash shoe on my DSLR. It is pretty easy pointing the red dot at my target instead of trying to see it on the view finder or the LCD with live view. Once I am in the neighborhood I take 30 second test shots to see how the target matches my framing.

You could also rig up a red dot or telrad to attach to the mounting bracket that is holding the camera.

hoa101

Re: Mount for DSLR and 200mm lens or shorter new [Re: JMW]
      #5664378 - 02/05/13 09:48 PM

Samir says you can actually aim a green laser down the viewfinder and it will project out the lens at your target. I think I may try that as long as nobody is imaging in the same location.

gezak22
scholastic sledgehammer

#5664548 - 02/06/13 01:05 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the advice everyone, it's been very helpful. I pulled the trigger on a Sirius mount. I do not think I'll be disappointed.

One question though, what type of DC power connector does it come with? Is it a cigarette lighter thing or something strange?

Good choice. That mount will serve you very well for a long time.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
20 registered and 39 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2018

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics