Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: MX discount... new [Re: RussD]
      #5673734 - 02/11/13 10:07 AM

What boats are you looking at that even an AP 3600 doesn't look hilariously cheap next to? The mounts are a one-and-done. A boat is proverbially the hole in the water to pour money into. How about Harleys? Astronomy is the cheapest midlife crisis you can get into.

The market is small and all, but what AP boils down to isn't some business guy trying to squeeze every dime out of astronomy; it's about making what Roland wanted for himself available to others. I've talked to him about this-this IS his retirement. All he's trying to do is cover expenses.

Try and buy a high end mount from the folks who really are trying to do it for profit, like Newport or Contraves. That should correct your interpretations on the cost of precision equipment.

-Rich

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
psandelle
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/18/08

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: MX discount... new [Re: Starhawk]
      #5673768 - 02/11/13 10:21 AM

Yeah, but with a Contraves, you can track missiles as well. There's a certain sense of security in knowing you can grab some good Ha data AND nail an incoming North Korean ICBM as well.

orlyandico
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
Re: MX discount... new [Re: psandelle]
      #5674005 - 02/11/13 12:46 PM

I think a better analogy is the Japanese observatory class mounts, like the big Taks (EM-3500) and the Goto's.

When you compare the price of an EM-3500 to the AP3600 with a similar capacity, the 3600 is hilariously cheap in comparison.

RussD

Reged: 04/20/06

Loc: Minnesota
Re: MX discount... new [Re: Starhawk]
      #5674941 - 02/11/13 10:42 PM

Rich,
Ok maybe my analogy was not perfectly on. But where I am from (the land of 10,000 lakes) you can get a pretty nice fishing boat for the cost of an AP3600. So to the average joe a thing that tracks the stars is way over priced when you can get a fishing boat for the same amount. I can just hear it now..."You wanna try tracking something really tough, try going after a walleye....that sort of thing."

I think we are agreeing on this and you may have taken what I said in the opposite way I intended. We are all very very thankful that Roland runs his business the way he does. I now own three of his mounts and a telescope of his making. He could sell a whole lot fewer mounts for a whole lot more if he wanted to. So could Bisque. But they both are in it for us. And I am glad for that. The 3600 is the ONE product in recent memory that had a price so low that it shocked me. That is probably the biggest steal in astronomy right now.

Russ

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
21 registered and 38 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6070

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics