Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Light Pollution

Pages: 1
dkb
sage

Reged: 07/23/08

Loc: Minnesota
Dung beetles using Milky Way for guidance
      #5656079 - 02/01/13 10:40 AM

There was a study done that showed African dung beetles used the Milky Way itself for guidance. Without the Milky Way the dung beetles went in circles. With the Milky Way they roll the dung away in straight lines. It is important for them to roll the dung away from the dung pile in a straight line as quickly as possible otherwise they are likely to lose the ball to competitors, possibly preventing that beetle from reproducing. This was tested by putting little visors on the beetles to keep them from seeing the sky and also inside a planetarium where they altered the Milky Way and star patterns to confirm this finding.

This is the first time I heard of any organism using the Milky Way for guidance. Considering how easily the Milky Way disappears with light pollution this is very valuable information.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
George N
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/19/06

Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY
Re: Dung beetles using Milky Way for guidance new [Re: dkb]
      #5656358 - 02/01/13 01:20 PM

Somehow I don’t think that the navagation problems of African Dung Beetles will be of much interest to the folks who dominate my local government councils.

....but it is cool to know.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Dung beetles using Milky Way for guidance new [Re: George N]
      #5661445 - 02/04/13 10:22 AM

Maybe the Dung Beetles aren't as full of it as government?

The Dung Beetles are organized and put things in straight lines; government prefers the fan method......

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: Dung beetles using Milky Way for guidance new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5661459 - 02/04/13 10:33 AM

Just a friendly reminder to keep this thread on track; and not go down the political road. This is the description of the LP Forum:

Quote:

While CN does not typically allow politics, this is one forum in which the discussion of legislation dealing with this matter is permitted.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LivingNDixie, richard7 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 611

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics