Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoviewers

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
GlennLeDrew
Postmaster

Reged: 06/18/08

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Re: Any Binotrons delivered yet ? new [Re: beatlejuice]
      #5667455 - 02/07/13 04:43 PM

You could look at any reasonably contrasty daytime scene at a sufficient distance to reach focus. You could then assess such things as vignetting, collimation adjustment, light scatter/reflections, etc.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mauikj

Reged: 06/08/08

Loc: Maui, Hawaii, USA
Binotron First light (daylight, that is!) new [Re: mich_al]
      #5669951 - 02/08/13 11:17 PM

Aloha Everyone,

Got my Binotrons with the power switch, a pair of 21 denks, and the upgraded OCS on Wednesday and had a chance to do a few checks on them today - here what I have:

First fit and finish - a 10 for sure. They look great, feel great in you hands, and all the adjustments work smoothly. Everything seems really well made and well thought out. I have some cheap binos I bought a few years back which is all I have to compare them to (and I never used the other ones much as they had terrible image quality) and they are like night and day.

The Sun: It was pretty windy, and I did not have the best viewing area, but the sun looked great. I've read about difficulty merging images, and sometime it was tough with my other bins but did not have any trouble at all. I adjusted the binos to fit my eyes, adjusted the (very well marked) diopter adjustment and the sun was perfect. I was impressed that there was no scattered light or glow around the suns limb as this is obvious in my cheap binos. Can't wait to try them under better conditions. Oh I could not get enough back focus with my Coronado unless the power switch was on the lowest setting. Not really an issue for me as that is the perfect power for the sun. I think my Takahashi 130 will be OK as it has lots more back focus, but I have not tried it yet.

Celestron 8 daylight: Everything worked like a charm. Crisp, merged, images and sharp edge to edge. I tried all 3 power settings and it worked great. Cant wait to check out Jupiter tonight.

I'll post more when I get to really test them on my dob and refractor, but all indications are they are really first rate. Can't wait to hear about others experiences.

KJ

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TG, Geo557 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1805

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics