Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Observing >> Deep Sky Observing

Pages: 1
drbyyz
sage

Reged: 11/04/12

First trip to a new dark sky site
      #5656741 - 02/01/13 04:49 PM

Scope in the car check. CSC lookin good check. No clouds in the sky check. In laws in town to entertain the wife and kid check. List of dsos to wow and impress check. Wish me luck, green skies ahead.

Ill be sure to post a report tonight or tomorrow!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
starrancher
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/09/09

Loc: Northern Arizona
Re: First trip to a new dark sky site new [Re: drbyyz]
      #5656829 - 02/01/13 05:36 PM

Yeah , Neil is a great percussionist . Much more than a drummer .

John_G
sage

Reged: 01/18/10

#5656832 - 02/01/13 05:38 PM

Good luck. I'll never forget my first trip to a dark sky site. It was magnificent.

Achernar
Postmaster

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA
      #5656960 - 02/01/13 06:57 PM

Don't forget warm clothes and footwear........getting too cold is a deal breaker. Those chemical heat packs can sure be handy too when it's very cold.

Taras

drbyyz
sage

Re: First trip to a new dark sky site new [Re: Achernar]
      #5657388 - 02/01/13 11:40 PM

More detailed account of the site and observations tomorrow, but for now all I have to say is Flame Nebula. Holy cow. I can only barely glimpse hints of this guy at my house and here it was in all its glory. Looked like a picture almost. Entire shape was visible, absolutely beautiful.

drbyyz
sage

#5657793 - 02/02/13 09:40 AM

So, a little more complete log. Got the scope set up in a fairly nice sized field just as the sun when down and ate some dinner while it got dark and the scope cooled off. As it got darker, I knew I was going to be in for a good, if not a little cold, night...halfway through twilight and I could already see more stars than I can from my backyard at its darkest. And of course it got better, the winter milky way splashing all the way across the sky with many dsos visible to the naked eye. Gorgeous site. I've had the good fortune to see good skies before(Mt. Lemmon Arizona, upstate Maine) but it's been awhile and it was really a site. I didn't even need the scope, could have just sat out in my chair looking up all night.

Of course the view through the scope was impressive, I didn't keep as detailed of notes as I usually do because I was just having fun and didn't want to waste what time I had here fiddling with pen and paper but I jotted down a few of the highlights.

First of course is the Flame Nebula(NGC2024) which I mentioned last night. Really unbelievable site after trying night after night to barely get a look at it in my backyard. I had myself braced for a few minutes at the eyepiece using AV to try and make it out, but no, it was just right there. The large dark lane was extremely obvious as were the two smaller ones that cut it perpendicularly. Overall it had a "maple leaf" shape that I assume is suppose to be the "flame."

M33 did not disappoint either...much larger than I've ever seen it with 2 of the arms easily visible. Was also able to pick up NGC604 and 592 as smudges on the outskirts of the galaxy.

NGC891 shocked me by showing its dark dust lane quite obviously. I didn't expect it so I checked a picture to be sure it was there and sure enough it was. Really cool, I'm not used to seeing that kind of detail in smaller galaxies. NGC1055 also gave me a little glimpse of detail using averted vision, what appeared to be part of a spiral arm showed up near the core, comparing a crude sketch I did to a picture it appears that this was also caused by a dark dust lane crossing the galaxy.

NGC1535 and 7662 both had really nice, apparent blue colors.

All in all I bagged about 10 new H400s and revisited a bunch of favorites and Messiers. Turned out to be a great few hours, even if my toes were frozen at the end!

Photobud

Reged: 01/07/13

#5662704 - 02/04/13 11:38 PM

Sounds fantastic, especially to one who lives in white zone! I thinl the frozen toes had to be worth it.

drbyyz
sage

Re: First trip to a new dark sky site new [Re: Photobud]
      #5663220 - 02/05/13 10:01 AM

Quote:

Sounds fantastic, especially to one who lives in white zone! I thinl the frozen toes had to be worth it.

It definitely was. Need to invest in some warm boots.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave Mitsky, Phillip Creed, okieav8r 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 575

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics