Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1
orion61

Reged: 10/20/07

Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk
Finally Solved my Glasses problem new
      #5653071 - 01/30/13 07:32 PM

I finally solved my eyeglasses problem. I am far sighted and
Presbyopia (need for Bifocals) so if I took them off I couldn't read my displays, with them on I had trouble with both eyepiece eye relief and the blurring and light scatter normal to looking through glasses.
I don't have astigmatism so I took one lens out of my old glasses and carry them with me. No more cut off fields
The next time I go to my eye Dr. I am going to have him
fit me for one " reading" Contact.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Kfrank
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/20/08

Loc: Northern Colorado
Re: Finally Solved my Glasses problem new [Re: orion61]
      #5654416 - 01/31/13 02:24 PM

Presbyopia IS far sightedness. Means you need correction to read but not for distance vision. Many far sighted folk use bifocals for convenience (they just wear them all the time with no correction in the distance portion of the lens). Many more, however, just opt for reading glasses.

If (as I do) you suffer from both near (myopia) and far sightedness, you definitely need bifocals.

What you're describing as a solution is what an optometrist calls "monovision". For example, in someone who is only farsighted, the doctor corrects one eye to optimize it for reading and leaves the other eye uncorrected. The brain allows the eyes to function as though both eyes work equally well for both near and far vision.

It doesn't work for everyone but if works for you, it's a good solution.

BigC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/29/10

Loc: SE Indiana
Re: Finally Solved my Glasses problem new [Re: Kfrank]
      #5655011 - 01/31/13 08:26 PM

Presbyopia is a condition of the eyes in which the natural focusing seems to no longer function in accomating CHANGES in distance.

Farsightedness is called hyperopia,not presbyopia.

After many years I was shocked when my new eye doctor diagnosed presbyopia,or as he explained it ,"lazy eye".

Because my natural lens were surgically removed as a child there can be no focusing of my eye by the cilliary muscles.Pretty hard for something not there to be lazy.

He also thought the atrophied tissues still remaining in my eyes from those long-ago surgeries were cancers.Which diagnosis certainly generated a lot of concern!Turns out he had never seen someone who had undergone the old style of cataract surgery.

It is important to use the words as correctly as possible because even professionals can be confused.

kansas skies
sage

Reged: 12/02/12

Loc: Kansas, USA
Re: Finally Solved my Glasses problem new [Re: BigC]
      #5655318 - 01/31/13 11:31 PM

I suffer from both presbyopia and astigmatism. These conditions both developed slowly over the years and I vaguely remember what it was like to be able to use a telescope and still read star charts without the aid of glasses. Now, I find I have to put my glasses on (progressive lenses) to be able to read charts and setting circles due to the presbyopia. I need to wear my glasses when viewing through low power eyepieces due to the astigmatism. I then need to remove my glasses to use high power eyepieces as they're not affected (at least not noticeably) by astigmatism. With my higher power eyepieces, I don't have the eye relief necessary to use with glasses anyway. Finally, after a night of observing, I find that I usually need to clean my glasses as they invariably get smudged in the process.

Still, I find that it's worth all the hassle.

Bill

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Finally Solved my Glasses problem new [Re: kansas skies]
      #5655840 - 02/01/13 08:54 AM

Swapping glassess on and off certainly beats the alternative......Wore glasses all my life, had Lasik surgery a few years ago, now have to wear reading glasses. It is a pain putting them on/off to look at sky maps, dropped lens caps, etc...but, at least I'm still able to view.

orion61

Reged: 10/20/07

Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk
Re: Finally Solved my Glasses problem new [Re: Kfrank]
      #5655863 - 02/01/13 09:13 AM

Quote:

Presbyopia IS far sightedness. Means you need correction to read but not for distance vision. Many far sighted folk use bifocals for convenience (they just wear them all the time with no correction in the distance portion of the lens). Many more, however, just opt for reading glasses.

If (as I do) you suffer from both near (myopia) and far sightedness, you definitely need bifocals.

What you're describing as a solution is what an optometrist calls "monovision". For example, in someone who is only farsighted, the doctor corrects one eye to optimize it for reading and leaves the other eye uncorrected. The brain allows the eyes to function as though both eyes work equally well for both near and far vision.

It doesn't work for everyone but if works for you, it's a good solution.

Presbyopia is NOT farsightedness It is Latin for Old Eye when the crystalline lens loose the ability to bend and focus light at under 20"
Hyperopia is far sightedness and Myopia is nearsighted,
I said farsighted and Presbyopia forgot and have..
I spent 15 yrs in the occupation, and didn't want to get too technical. I suggested it because a lot of people cant put in contacts
To be 25 again...with my old brain.. then with my luck Id get Alzheimer, and be right back where I started again

StarStuff1
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/01/07

Loc: South of the Mason-Dixon Line
Re: Finally Solved my Glasses problem new [Re: orion61]
      #5656789 - 02/01/13 05:10 PM

I am 65 and wear bifocals for normal life. Even though there are floaters and some other minor problems I can still reach decent focus with an eyepiece and without wearing glasses. Unfortunately, my "focus" is not the same as most younger folk.

kansas skies
sage

Reged: 12/02/12

Loc: Kansas, USA
Re: Finally Solved my Glasses problem new [Re: StarStuff1]
      #5656842 - 02/01/13 05:43 PM

I'm convinced that floaters exist simply as an exercise in patience.

Bill

Doc Willie
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/31/10

Loc: Mid-Hudson Valley, NY, USA
Re: Finally Solved my Glasses problem [Re: kansas skies]
      #5657169 - 02/01/13 09:28 PM

You need a monocle. Worked for Sir Patrick Moore.

Pages: 1

Extra information
16 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 959

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics