Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> ATM, Optics and DIY Forum

Pages: 1
psi_chemie
sage

Reged: 05/01/11

Loc: Leawood, KS, USA
M4 x 0.7 pitch 40mm long nylon hex head screws
      #5657796 - 02/02/13 09:45 AM

Got these to use in my XT4.5 dob secondary. I'm evaluating now but so far they work better than the metal screws and polyethylene washer. The question is over time will the plastic threads be deformed by the metal receiving threads.

Anyways I got 100 of these, if anyone needs a few and doesn't want to pay the $15 for 100 I will send out a few here or there..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
davidpitre
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/05

Loc: Central Texas
Re: M4 x 0.7 pitch 40mm long nylon hex head screws new [Re: psi_chemie]
      #5658276 - 02/02/13 02:33 PM

Quote:

The question is over time will the plastic threads be deformed by the metal receiving threads.

Probably a matter of the amount of torque used on them. Secondary screws are often tightened with quite a bit of force. This might deform the threads over time, but like you said, you have 100 of them, so no big deal.

Geo.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/01/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: M4 x 0.7 pitch 40mm long nylon hex head screws new [Re: davidpitre]
      #5659785 - 02/03/13 11:29 AM

"NYLON 6/6 POLYAMIDE: General-purpose nylon 6/6 has good toughness, tensile strength, and resistance to creep, particularly in the high temperature range. Nylon has excellent wear properties, low coefficient of friction, and exceptional chemical resistance particularly to aromatic hydrocarbons, greases, and oils. Nylon is a hygroscopic material. Moisture acts as a plasticizer reducing the tensile strength, stuffiness, and increasing elongation, impact strength , and energy absorbing characteristics. Outdoor weathering can be improved by the addition of carbon black. Nylon will perform well in long range service in most applications at temperatures as high as 185° F (85° C). Nylon is a translucent off white color." http://rgafasteners-psm.com/files//new_files/nylon_test_data.pdf

Pages: 1

Extra information
10 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, richard7, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 378

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics