Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1
BrianCSmyrna

Reged: 06/05/12

Loc: Blue Ridge, GA
Celestron CGE Pro 1400HD new
      #5625161 - 01/15/13 08:43 PM

I'm thinking of purchasing a Celestron CGE Pro 1400HD to replace my aging Meade 8" LX200. Does anyone have this scope setup? If so, what do you like about it and what do you dislike?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/10

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
Re: Celestron CGE Pro 1400HD new [Re: BrianCSmyrna]
      #5625173 - 01/15/13 08:49 PM

Our club has one in a roll-off rooof observatory, with the CGE Pro on a permanent pier. It is a fine scope, but it really cries out for permanent mounting. Transport and setup would be a pretty significant undertaking for one person. Visually is is top of the line.

BrianCSmyrna

Re: Celestron CGE Pro 1400HD new [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #5625187 - 01/15/13 08:57 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I plan to have it permanently mounted in my observatory, so portability won't be a concern. Glad to hear it's a fine scope.

Colorado Cliff

Reged: 01/27/13

Re: Celestron CGE Pro 1400HD [Re: BrianCSmyrna]
      #5658636 - 02/02/13 06:05 PM

I'm in the design phase for a roll-off roof observatory to be located near Pikes Peak. I would like to permanently mount this scope/mount combo as the main instrument.

I'd be interested in any advice on designing the pier based on your club's experience. I looked through the Celestron site for documentation that would allow me to design the pier prior to obtaining the scope, but did not see enough to go on. For example, the height of the pier so the roof clears the parked scope is important as is the mount to pier details.

Any information would be much appreciate.

HeyJP
sage

Reged: 12/11/10

Loc: Boulder, CO
Re: Celestron CGE Pro 1400HD new [Re: Colorado Cliff]
      #5664146 - 02/05/13 06:39 PM

Cliff,

You should be on the lookout for parts blown off the Univ of Denver Observatory on the top of Mt Evans last winter. Might come in useful.

Fellow Coloradoan,

Jim in Boulder

BrianCSmyrna

Re: Celestron CGE Pro 1400HD new [Re: Colorado Cliff]
      #5665693 - 02/06/13 05:21 PM

Quote:

I'm in the design phase for a roll-off roof observatory to be located near Pikes Peak. I would like to permanently mount this scope/mount combo as the main instrument.

I'd be interested in any advice on designing the pier based on your club's experience. I looked through the Celestron site for documentation that would allow me to design the pier prior to obtaining the scope, but did not see enough to go on. For example, the height of the pier so the roof clears the parked scope is important as is the mount to pier details.

Any information would be much appreciate.

--------

I'm in a similar situation. I've been planning a roll off roof observatory and it's difficult to find information about the height of the scope from Celestron's website. It makes it tough to fabricate a pier in advance of purchasing the scope. From what I've been able to deduce, if you have the scope sitting on its tripod at the lowest setting (38"), then the mounting bracket for the optical tube is about 55" high. The remainder of the height will depend upon the size of the optical tube attached. I've calculated that if the pier is 38" high, even with a 14" scope you should still have a few inches to clear a 6ft high roll off observatory roof. Any additional thoughts would be appreciated.

telescopemullet
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/16/09

Re: Celestron CGE Pro 1400HD new [Re: BrianCSmyrna]
      #5667880 - 02/07/13 09:16 PM

Quote:

I'm thinking of purchasing a Celestron CGE Pro 1400HD to replace my aging Meade 8" LX200. Does anyone have this scope setup? If so, what do you like about it and what do you dislike?

There is a beauty C14 and mount for see on amart currently, not a edge but still quite a stunning duo for 8k.

LouHalikman

Reged: 02/23/11

Loc: North Central Maryland
Re: Celestron CGE Pro 1400HD new [Re: telescopemullet]
      #5688372 - 02/19/13 06:38 AM

I have a CGE Pro with an Edge 14 HD and an 80 mm APO mounted on a concrete pier in a roll-off roof observatory. The concrete pier is 14" diameter and protrudes 30" from the floor. The floor is suspended so that it does not touch the pier. The pier is anchored to a block of concrete 8" underground weighing 5000#. It is literally rock steady; it was all poured on the same day and is one huge heavy monolith. The mount mates to the pier with a home-made plate utilizing 2 1" thick pieces of plywood which join the j-bolts from the pier to the base of the mount. The scope stands about 7' tall, but I park it on its side, so the height of the roof is not an issue.

However, I don't recommend this method. Better to use a concrete platform anchored to the ground with a steel pier bolted to it and a Dan's plate to join the mount to the pier. My set-up is literally too permanent. It would be very difficult to either raise or lower the pier height, and using a dob is out of the question -- there is no room in the observatory with this beast in place. Think about your current as well as future needs when you design the observatory. If I were to do it again, I would not use a concrete pier but would use the platform approach instead. Lou

CharlesW
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/02/12

Loc: Chula Vista & Indio, CA
Re: Celestron CGE Pro 1400HD new [Re: LouHalikman]
      #5688463 - 02/19/13 08:36 AM

If you give Oceanside Photo Telescope a call they have this scope set up in their showroom. They would probably measure it for you.

Pages: 1

Extra information
10 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, Mitchell Duke, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1544

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics