Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Equipment

Pages: 1
bouffetout
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/21/12

Loc: Canada
Refractor field flattener ,how does it fit ?
      #5658900 - 02/02/13 08:45 PM

I bought a StellarVue refractor ( SV80ST-25SV )and a field flattener that goes with it ,to fit my Canon T3. I still have 3 weeks to wait until it arrives...
I have seen other model wich one end screws to the T-ring and
the other end is a 2"end that goes in the 2" of the focuser !
But the one I bought is different and I don't understand how it fits on the scope or the T-ring....

Can someone explain to me how this fits ??? A picture or a drawing would be very cool...
Thank you for helping me !
Maxx

Edited by bouffetout (02/02/13 10:18 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Raginar
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
Re: Refractor field flattener ,how does it fit ? new [Re: bouffetout]
      #5659540 - 02/03/13 09:00 AM

It should be just like you said, one end fits into the focuser and the other end screws onto your t-ring on your camera. Take a look at the spacing requirements from your CCD to the field flattener as well. For instance, I need 55mm of spacing between the CCD and my ATFF (I think?). So my ccd through the filter wheel results in about 26mm (I think) and I have to make up the remaining 29mm of spacing.

I went searching on their website and couldn't find the directions for your particular field flattener; the one above it was listed at 55mm. So, maybe someone who has one can speak to it better than I can. Also, it sounds like it actually likes to be closer than that to prevent vignetting.

Here is my new favorite toy for changing spacing:
http://goo.gl/JTAUd

It's basically a variable spacing ring. It comes in a 'short' version and a 'long' version.

Hopefully that makes sense .

Send me a PM if you need some more help.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
12 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, tecmage, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 237

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics