Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Astrophotography and Sketching >> CCD Imaging & Processing

Pages: 1
APC777

Reged: 05/17/12

SBIG ST2000 XM new
      #5658884 - 02/02/13 08:35 PM

I just downloaded nebulosity to capture my images with this camera and also downloaded phd and was wondering if someone can tell me if phd will run my autoquide chip or if someone does this with their ST2000 XM and if they can explain how they do it.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mike7Mak
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/07/11

Loc: New York
Re: SBIG ST2000 XM [Re: APC777]
      #5659066 - 02/02/13 10:54 PM

No, PHD cannot run the autoguide chip. Well it can, but you can't run the imaging chip at the same time. Something about the way the SBIG self-guiding cameras work. Two separate programs can't connect to the camera at the same time.

Rick J
Postmaster

Reged: 03/01/08

Loc: Mantrap Lake, MN
Re: SBIG ST2000 XM new [Re: Mike7Mak]
      #5659151 - 02/02/13 11:56 PM

Use CCDSoft that also came with the camera. Maxim D/L is even better but costs money! The imaging program needs to also be the guide program when using the internal guider as they share the same download circuitry and can't both use it at once! CCDOps can also do it but while fine for troubleshooting isn't really an imaging program.

Rick

Joe F Gafford
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/15/06

Loc: Denver, Colorado, US
Re: SBIG ST2000 XM new [Re: Rick J]
      #5659184 - 02/03/13 12:23 AM

Use and buy CCDSoft while you still can. Support will end this summer by SB. It is no longer for sale on their website. SkyX pro will do the camera functions with the optional camera plug-in at extra cost. But SB hasn't of yet installed a function of doing WCS solutions in the SkyX that CCD Soft has. It has an astrometic function, but the WCS solution program in CCD Soft is what you need to find and track asteroids and comets and to find supernovae.

Joe.

Rick J
Postmaster

Reged: 03/01/08

Loc: Mantrap Lake, MN
Re: SBIG ST2000 XM new [Re: Joe F Gafford]
      #5659312 - 02/03/13 02:48 AM

I wouldn't buy CCDSoft at this point but it should have come with his camera and is a free solution. While it is soon to be discontinued it will run that camera just fine for years to come. Still Maxim is far better but costly. With pinpoint it can do all the WCS solutions without need of SkyX or The Sky 6 I use. Main use for plate solves is to automate imaging and for providing astrometric positions for asteroids to the minor planet center. Handy for use with ALADIN and NED to determine what each faint fuzzy is in your image as well. Think all this is more advanced than he needs right now!

Rick

Pages: 1

Extra information
7 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Oldfield, Scott in NC, bilgebay, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 409

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics