Observing >> Solar Observing and Imaging

Pages: 1
jerwin
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/17/12

Loc: Romeoville IL
Upgrade Lunt LS60DS to LS80 new
      #5657810 - 02/02/13 09:54 AM

has anyone upgraded from a LS60 double stack to a LS80 single stack? Any regrets loosing the double stack? I'm pretty sure I can have the internal double stack retro fitted after the fact but it might take me a little bit to do that.

There is a LS80 on the used market that I think I can get for a fair price and I think there is a guy in my astronomy club that would give me what I paid (or close) for my LS60DS just to avoid the wait on the LS60's (though this wait is starting to go away)

I'd be upgrading from a B1200 to a B1800, but the only downgrades would be loosing the double stack and going from a feather touch to a dual speed crayford.

Appreciate your feedback. Really just worried I'm going to hate myself for dropping back to a single stack.

Jim

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
neotesla
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/18/10

Loc: Canada
Re: Upgrade Lunt LS60DS to LS80 new [Re: jerwin]
      #5658206 - 02/02/13 01:51 PM

Check Stephen Ramsden's review site, there are many comments about what you ask in his reviews.

http://www.stephenramsden.com/solarastrophotography/pages/reviews.html

frolinmod
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/06/10

Loc: Southern California
Re: Upgrade Lunt LS60DS to LS80 [Re: neotesla]
      #5659099 - 02/02/13 11:14 PM

I don't think you should trust us. You need to put them side-by-side and compare them yourself.

Matt Wastell
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/05/09

Loc: Paddington, Brisbane, Australi...
Re: Upgrade Lunt LS60DS to LS80 new [Re: frolinmod]
      #5659347 - 02/03/13 04:16 AM

Hi Jim
I have done what you are contemplating - fortunately I did not have to sell my LS 60 DS so I have both.
My findings
- the 60DS in my opinion provides an overall better visual Sun - it just pops more (regardless of the loss of aperture)
- the 80 is superior visually to the 60 in SS mode
- I do a lot of imaging and my conditions tend to be poor - I usually do disc shots with the 60 in SS mode with a DMK51 - DS is a much more challenging imaging set up so I tend to grab and go
- I have used the 80 with a 2.5 Powermate for imaging and this gets in much closer than the 60 but I rarely get the opportunity
I have done all of these comparisons side by side and if you get a chance you should too.
Are you into imaging or visual?
I hope this helps?

Matt Wastell
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Upgrade Lunt LS60DS to LS80 new [Re: Matt Wastell]
      #5659349 - 02/03/13 04:19 AM

Sorry - feather touch is a great thing to have (especially for imaging) - I have always said everyone should have a LS60.........

jerwin
scholastic sledgehammer

#5660106 - 02/03/13 02:32 PM

Today I'm just doing visual, but I have some desire to do some imaging. Probably 75% of my usage today is public outreach. Even sharing my views with others I feel like on the days of public outreach I get more time at the EP than I do at home, probably because at home there are too many distractions. I'll view in short 5-10 minute bursts and do whatever I was doing before, come back a while later, view again...repeat. Imaging would hopefully let me use the scope when I'm busy doing other things around the house.

And not that the LS60 isn't impressive, but I'd probably get a bigger kick watching others reactions viewing through a larger HA scope. (probably shouldn't be the reason I want a larger scope, but it is a factor)

As far as a side by side comparison I don't know if that would happen without me buying the 80 and doing it before I tried to sell the 60. Very few members of my astronomy club have solar scopes (beyond whitelight) and at least that talk about it openly or participate in the public outreach sessions. I'd say I have the HA nicest scope at a pressure tuned double stack LS60.

What I'll probably do is see if I can get a verbal commitment from this guy I know that he really would be interested at $x if I upgraded.

Worst case if I had to sit on it for a few years that probably wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Especially if I was imaging, then I'd have a something for visual while the camera was doing its thing. I'm sure if I waited for a solar event, and eclipse or transit of Mercury I could probably offload it without taking a huge loss on my investment. It is kind of an expensive scope to have 2 of.

Jim

Jim Rosenstock
Postmaster

Reged: 07/14/05

Loc: MD, south of the DC Nebula
      #5660183 - 02/03/13 03:21 PM

You'll miss the doublestack for visual and the Feathertouch for imaging.....a lot!

Jim

jerwin
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Upgrade Lunt LS60DS to LS80 new [Re: Jim Rosenstock]
      #5660265 - 02/03/13 04:07 PM

Could i pull the feathertouch off my ls60 and swap it with an ls80 crayford?

Matt Wastell
Carpal Tunnel

#5661145 - 02/04/13 05:16 AM

Hi Jim - keep what you have - there is still a wow factor with the 60 for outreach - I have found people enjoy the full disc at the scope - and regardless of the size it still takes a while to get used to the view. As far as imaging - start with your 60 and if you get the bug, upgrade later!

bill1234
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/21/11

Loc: NJ, USA
      #5664136 - 02/05/13 06:35 PM

I, like Matt have both setups and wouldn't part wouldn't either one. Excelent side by side setup for outreach..

Pages: 1

Extra information
4 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Scott in NC, Phillip Creed 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 798

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics