Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> ATM, Optics and DIY Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
MKV
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/20/11

Re: Help with a Ross corrector - please new [Re: Ajohn]
      #5657162 - 02/01/13 09:23 PM

John, the slider, by definition, is intended for manual optimization, and autofocus isn't manual.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mark1234

Reged: 04/15/08

#5657824 - 02/02/13 10:02 AM

John,I just openend the attachment and all the specs lens spreadsheet were there? Did you use the top menu bar to actually open the lens spreadsheet, it may not do this automatically. Er, sorry if that sounds a bit patronising, but I admit I've sat there looking confused for a moment after opening an attachment expecting to see the spreadsheet.

Mark

Ajohn
sage

Reged: 12/03/07

Re: Help with a Ross corrector - please new [Re: MKV]
      #5657851 - 02/02/13 10:16 AM

I have managed to find the manual this time. Might be what I call the web effect - mention something and people look and that moves things up the google search lists.

Only spot diagrams Mark so I can't look at scaling them.

The manual states that edu should default to 3 colour tracing and settings are in preferences. Mine defaulted to one as downloaded.

The absence of autofocus when using a slider makes the whole thing almost impossibly tedious. Life is too short. I did play with ?.? Premium a some time ago and persuaded the graphics window to update along with slider movement but can't remember if it also refocused. One thing for sure without a refocus the sliders are a bit of a joke.

One thing that surprises me is the absence of add on "macro's" on the web for edu. I assume some do write them but I have never managed to find any. Now I have the manual it seems to be possible to get autofocus via a slider with a ccl or star file.

A google of oslo filetype:ccl bought up 1 which at times seems to have come with it.Unfortunately .ccl is used elsewhere but various searches using it found nothing useful.

John
-
PS I started this post hours and hours ago so hope people don't mind that it may refer to ealier posts.
-

mark1234

#5657852 - 02/02/13 10:17 AM

John,
if you autofocus while IMS thickness is on a slider, take note of the new thickness after autofocus on the spreadsheet and move slider until its value is in agreement (may need to change resolutions back and forth to do this).
The wavelengths are set using the menu bar which brings up a window. Now that should be in a demo in the tutorial - as other more experienced users suggest to me on the forum - use the tutorial.
Forget your own design while you learn, just play around with one of the examples so you can return to the original values at any time and know it works.
URL of a really good step by step college tutorial online.
http://www.amoptics.com/Resources.htm

Mark

Ajohn
sage

Re: Help with a Ross corrector - please new [Re: mark1234]
      #5658099 - 02/02/13 12:55 PM

Thanks Mark. Might be some confusion on the len file. No problems downloading yours but MKV's just come up as jpg's of spot diagrams.

I found that tutorial link this morning and a number of other things. There seems to be a lot less .len files on the web these days but I found a few correctors to play with.

On sliders my edu came with an outline ccl file for use with the sliders.There is an auto focus command and it appears that commands can be included in ccl files so I will probably have a go at that shortly. It rings a bell from last time I used oslo -- ?.? premium. The callback in the slider dialogue could have numbers from 1 to 9 each of which caused different things to happen as a slider was moved. For instance if I remember correctly 9 updated all open graphics windows.

I don't find the usual tutorials a lot of use for what I often want to do. The diffraction spot for instance. Could be the same with wavelengths as I can't recollect seeing that mentioned in a number I have looked at. I have a feeling that winlens, also free, could prove useful for playing about in an educational fashion. There are video tutorials for that and I believe everything updates when sliders are moved. It's also possible to mix in standard Linos lenses. The optimising version isn't free of course. It has a much better interface than Oslo - things are even in logical places.

My edu shows one wavelength under the wavelength window as it came but the easiest answer to that may be to just use some ones files as a starting point because the data goes with the len file - or add it with an editor etc.

Seems that there was a Unix version of Oslo about. That would be better for me as I am running under linux and unix aps usually work without any problems other than x windows which tend to be a bit naff.

ohn
-

mark1234

#5658695 - 02/02/13 06:30 PM

John, there is one OPIC ccl for OSLO on that site with the link. Maybe give you idea of what they do.

Mark

MKV
Carpal Tunnel

#5659122 - 02/02/13 11:31 PM

John, why don't you just add more wavelengths? In the upper right-hand corner, you have a small box with a right-handed arrow. Click on it to add more wavelengths.

Ajohn
sage

Re: Help with a Ross corrector - please new [Re: MKV]
      #5659572 - 02/03/13 09:25 AM

Thanks all. I have sorted the wavelength and loaded the opic ccl file. I appears to "achromatise" what ever is there and even out the aberrations - more a minimum circle of confusion approach. It could be very useful when things are close.

Yes I had missed that more wavelength could be added in the same way that more lines could be added to the main spread sheet.

Still some missing info though. Some files seem to show the effects of a central obstruction on both the mtf curve and the spot diagram. How? It would be nice to have it and be able to remove it.

I still haven't done anything with the slider call back function as an additional slider for moving the focus point about is fine so far. Other than getting a grip around the commands needed to reset and update a graphics window it shouldn't be difficult to do. Then if auf really does autofocus the right way it should work. With and without that would be best I suspect.

John
-

MKV
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Help with a Ross corrector - please [Re: Ajohn]
      #5659655 - 02/03/13 10:13 AM

John,you can autofocus anything at any time without sliders by simply right clicking on the Thickness category of your Surface Data spreadsheet, and choosing minimum OPD RMS polychromatic or whatever applies.

Likewise, central obstruction is easy to do. Just go to your Aperture category and right click and then choose X.

All this is covered in the manual and in the instructional articles and videos on the Internet. You'll have to do the rest of the homework.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
12 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, richard7, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1647

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics