Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
NHRob
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/27/04

Loc: New Hampshire
nice 5" class Mak? new
      #5657684 - 02/02/13 08:19 AM

Looking to downsize to a 5" class Mak-Cass for casual observing. Finances are an issue so I probably can't swing Russian optics.
Any good recommendations of one vs. another? ... Skywatcher vs. Orion, etc?

Thx,
Rob

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: nice 5" class Mak? new [Re: NHRob]
      #5657690 - 02/02/13 08:36 AM

Hey Rob, I Don't have any 5" Mak experience to relay to you...BUT, I can say that the C6XLT would go along way to satisfying as a casual scope. IMHO, the extra inch will trump the "better" image that the mak design gives. I had a C5 and it didn't quite satisfy, particularly when it came to deep sky. The C6 hit the mark. I have been absolutely mesmerized by the view of the double cluster in this scope! Everything, DSO's, planetary, lunar and doubles are just plain fun in this scope. Cool down is only about 30 minutes or even less in summer. Their quality really is very good. Add a quality zoom and casual doesn't get any better! Celestron got it right. Mine tested by Bob Piekel at close to 1/8th wave (1/6-1/7 solid), where mild undercorrection began to show. It is sharp and has depth of focus with snap. Sorry if I steered off topic for you, but in this size/price range, you must consider the C6! I think it is just what you are looking for. My

EDIT: The C6XLT is the one scope that I find satisfying when putting away the AP 130 GT for winter if that says anything! All the smaller scopes I tried for that role, I was left wanting.

Edited by t.r. (02/02/13 08:47 AM)

NHRob
Post Laureate

Re: nice 5" class Mak? new [Re: t.r.]
      #5657726 - 02/02/13 09:05 AM

Thx for the input Tim. C6 .... hmmm!
Down the road I will spring for a 5" class apo again (after downsizing the house) but, for the short term I will be going cheap!
Maybe I should wait for NEAF and see if any good deals pop up there??

Eddgie
Postmaster

Reged: 02/01/06

#5657876 - 02/02/13 10:36 AM

There really isn't any benefit of the 5" MCTs over the C5. The COs are not really much different, and the f/10 C5 gives you quite a bit wider true field capability.

Some of these MCTs being sold today are actually not working at their full apeture. Keep that in mind.

I would recommend a C5 if size is the most important factor, or a C6 for more performance at about the same focal lenght (same true field size) and weight.

The short focal lenght of the C5 makes it a much better all around choice to me than a 5" MCT. I have owned both and kept the C5. It is just a more flexible scope.

But the reports of some of the 127 MCTs working at less than stated apeture, which means a slower focal ratio and narrower field than stated, really turns me off on them.

Eric63
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/16/12

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
      #5658017 - 02/02/13 12:07 PM

For what it's worth, I love my little 127mm SW Mak. The image is very sharp, I can get approx 1.3 degree view with a 2" 32mm 70 degree EP. Also, at this size I don't find cool down to be too much of an issue. I have this scope to compliment my 102mmF5 Achro, but it is turning out to be the one I use the most.

Eric

RobertED
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/11/03

Loc: Smithfield, RI
Re: nice 5" class Mak? new [Re: Eric63]
      #5658048 - 02/02/13 12:31 PM

I used to own the ORION 5" mak-cass....awesome little scope. I just traded it towards a C-11. I needed more aperture.

Binojunky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/25/10

Re: nice 5" class Mak? new [Re: RobertED]
      #5658087 - 02/02/13 12:51 PM

Most of the 127mm maks are coming from Synta, the Orion Apex is a good performer, however it suffers from the usual mak problems, cool down time, narrowish field of view and contrast suffers a bit but it can and does give some rather jaw dropping views,DA.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: nice 5" class Mak? new [Re: Binojunky]
      #5658123 - 02/02/13 01:08 PM

Another vote for the C5. The MCTs are nice, but the C5 is more versatile...

Binojunky
Carpal Tunnel

Re: nice 5" class Mak? new [Re: rmollise]
      #5658223 - 02/02/13 01:58 PM

Just after I got my Apex 127 I was offered a 5" S/Cass: OTAfrom Japan special optics, probably as clean a specimen as you could wish for, complete with all its accesories and wooden case, I find myself useing that more than the Apex,DA.

KerryR
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/05/07

Loc: SW Michigan
      #5658300 - 02/02/13 02:56 PM

I have a 127mm Apex MCT and a C6. There's no front on which the C6 doesn't significantly out-perform it, more so than can be attributed, I think, to the aperture difference.

I know there are some really good Apexes out there, but I think design, executaion and QC may be better with the c5 and c6, so you may be more likely to 'draw' a good sample by going with the C sct.

I think it's worth looking at 5 and 6" f5 or 6 newts, too. They're often really, really inexpensive, easily mounted, and SOMETIMES come with 2" focusers if you look around/wait long enough. Their simple design reduces the number of places optical errors can happen to 2, so you may get the best optics that way, if you can stand the coma.

Binojunky
Carpal Tunnel

Re: nice 5" class Mak? new [Re: KerryR]
      #5658439 - 02/02/13 04:25 PM

Yuo can pick up the Vixen 130 newt on the Porta Mount for under $400 new,an excellent scope for the money,my apologies to Mak and Cass: lovers,DA.

Rat8bug
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/07/05

Loc: Michigan
      #5658478 - 02/02/13 04:45 PM

If your interest is planetary,moon, double stars, then I would go Apex 127 mak. Mak is more rugged scope than SCT, and no issue with collimating.

http://www.barrie-tao.com/apex127.html

Ciao....Barry

rg55
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/02/08

Loc: western US
Re: nice 5" class Mak? new [Re: Rat8bug]
      #5658590 - 02/02/13 05:45 PM

What Barry said. My two G & G's are my 5" mak and my C80ED. Between the two of them I'm covered for everything.

RobertED
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/11/03

Loc: Smithfield, RI
Re: nice 5" class Mak? new [Re: rmollise]
      #5659528 - 02/03/13 08:50 AM

Quote:

Another vote for the C5. The MCTs are nice, but the C5 is more versatile...

Agreed!!
I found the 5" mak-cass not as good on faint-fuzzies as the Moon and planets.

Eric63
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/16/12

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
Re: nice 5" class Mak? new [Re: RobertED]
      #5659582 - 02/03/13 09:31 AM

That's why I use both the 127mak and the 150f5 Newt. The mak is better for high power and the Newt for faint and fuzzies plus wide field.

moynihan
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/22/03

Loc: Lake Michigan Watershed
      #5659633 - 02/03/13 09:55 AM

Another thread that illustrates the CN tendency for nearly any question about a Mak to generate a plethora of responses extolling the superiority of the SCT.

Has the time come for a new sub-forum, for Maks, as we have divided the newts/fracs/Cats

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: nice 5" class Mak? new [Re: moynihan]
      #5659652 - 02/03/13 10:11 AM

I don't think so, they are both catadioptrics, which other designs fall into as well. The purpose of CN is to engage in seeking and exchanging information. This is accomplished, but we often don't get the responses to our questions that we were expecting or perhaps desire. This is due to the posting of others experience that goes beyond our own. Also, it enables thinking outside the box and gives perspectives that we hadn't considered. Collateral learning if you will. If the OP doesn't want the topic to stray, they can simply limit and narrow the "conversation" as they desire. Mods do this as well. Personally, I welcome ALL comments when I post, positive to my position, negative and even tanget. What's the hurt in this? Playing "Devil's Advocate" is not necessarily...evil. In fact, the only disservice I see here on CN is absolutes!

moynihan
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/22/03

Loc: Lake Michigan Watershed
      #5659723 - 02/03/13 10:55 AM

Quote:

... the only disservice I see here on CN is absolutes!

Indeed.

NHRob
Post Laureate

Re: nice 5" class Mak? [Re: moynihan]
      #5659863 - 02/03/13 12:06 PM

I have no problem including SCTs in the discussion. Good information is always welcome, IMO.

hottr6
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/28/09

Loc: 7,500', Magdalena Mtns, NM
      #5661240 - 02/04/13 07:52 AM

I'd have to agree..... the difference between 5" and 6" cannot be overstated.

I don't have any experience with the 5" MCTs, but I do spend a lot of time comparing my 5" and 6" Newts (both f/5), and the 6" can go a lot deeper. The 6" hints at details that can be seen in my 10" Newt, details that are utterly absent in the 5".

My 6" Synta MCT is a heavy little bugger, and requires an appropriate mount... I recommend CG5 class as a minimum. No doubt the 5" would require a lot less mount.

The Synta 6" suffers the same shortcoming of the 5".... 1.25" visual back. The 6" may also require more cooldown time, something that I have found makes the difference between a great night under the stars, and a waste of time. I presume this is an area that the 5" would be a winner.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
16 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1718

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics