Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: Orion DeepMap 600 new [Re: Crow Haven]
      #5698901 - 02/24/13 08:47 PM

Quote:

I've had mine for many years and after the observatory was finished I put it up on the wall where it comes in handy and is totally weather-proof.
---Maya

Maya, what a great idea! I never thought of putting it on my observatory wall!

Thanks so much!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Orion DeepMap 600 new [Re: Moondoggy]
      #5699383 - 02/25/13 07:56 AM

Quote:

Preston,
It was the year Peach State Star Gaze was done in Tennessee and David Levy was there also.
I also have several items signed by A. Rukl when he was in GA a year or 2 earlier for PSSG. All these folks were great to meet along with their wives. One thing can be said, you can get them to sign their original work,and you can store it on your self.. But how do you feel about meeting them and getting them to sign you electronic device ?

Well, the autographs are cool and all--I got Rukl's when we were in Coperhill too. Got Alan Shepard, etc., etc. But that's not really my cup of tea. I enjoyed meeting these people, but having or not having their autographs on their works doesn't mean pea turkey to me.

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
Re: Orion DeepMap 600 new [Re: rmollise]
      #5700405 - 02/25/13 06:56 PM

Quote:

Well, the autographs are cool and all--I got Rukl's when we were in Coperhill too. Got Alan Shepard, etc., etc. But that's not really my cup of tea. I enjoyed meeting these people, but having or not having their autographs on their works doesn't mean pea turkey to me.

Me too, with one exception: I have an autographed copy of "The Martian Chronicles", which means a *LOT* to me.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: Orion DeepMap 600 new [Re: BobinKy]
      #5702386 - 02/26/13 08:14 PM

I use mine once a year when I Messier Marathon - I use it for additional targets in the neighborhood of each Messier and also during the midnight lull of the Marathon in order to raise my single-night possible target count.

At some point I will use Don Machholz's search order criteria and build Deep Map 600 target list organized by optimal search order. I've been tempted to do the same for Objects in the Heavens (Peter Birren's field guide for small scopes).

Regards,

Jim

Moondoggy
sage

Reged: 03/17/08

Loc: Jack Daniels Country
Re: Orion DeepMap 600 new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5711938 - 03/04/13 05:15 AM

Mr. Tirion was a delight when I spent an hour with him on the field,just me and him. So I got to pic his brain. My story goes like this. I went to PSSG to meet this well known person in the Astronomy field. I had just gotten to the Star Party in the early afternoon and was trying to find a trail on to the Observing field. I heard someone yell at me,and I waited for this man to come closer so I could hear him better. He wanted to find a way on the field since there was treeline and ask me the way. Well we made our way threw an opening. I introduced myself and he told me he was Wil Tirion. My Jaw just droped and I was so excited and honored and told him that I came to hear and hopefully meet him. He smiled and we started our Journey walking. We spent an hour walking around the field talking about everything. Things about his Job to things about his homeland and everything in between. A dream come true to me since I was New in Astronomy,and for me Astronomy was my true hobby I fell in love with and kept me wanting more...
I remember him asking me why people decorated their Dobs with Stars and other Space related stuff. I just laugh and told him we do thing like that here over here in America. Kind of reminds you when you put MAG Wheels on Cars and fancy paint jobs on our cars. He just laugh,since he must have realised that people in different countries do different things. We walked around and was looking at different equipment,until some folks spoted us,and then they came running in droves to get his autograph. He is just a normal person as the rest of us,but has done some outstand work threw the years and still does. My sign copy is in a frame,and I keep one on myself and another with my field equipment. This is a great tool, weather resistent,No GPS needed,EMP protected !

smallscopefanLeo
sage

Reged: 01/23/11

Re: Orion DeepMap 600 new [Re: Moondoggy]
      #5711965 - 03/04/13 05:59 AM

Quote:

Mr. Tirion was a delight when I spent an hour with him on the field,just me and him. ...

.... I remember him asking me why people decorated their Dobs with Stars and other Space related stuff. I just laugh and told him we do thing like that here over here in America. ....

... He is just a normal person as the rest of us,but has done some outstand work threw the years and still does. My sign copy is in a frame,and I keep one on myself and another with my field equipment. This is a great tool, weather resistent,No GPS needed,EMP protected !

Thanks for sharing your story, I am living vicariously through you here!

Gotta love how perplexed he was by all the decorated scopes

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Geo557, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1677

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics