Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Reflectors

Pages: 1
The Ardent
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/24/08

Loc: Virginia
Visit to Teeter's Telescopes
      #5660694 - 02/03/13 08:46 PM Attachment (122 downloads)

I drove up to New Jersey yesterday to pick up my scope. It was an 18" f/4.2, now an 18" f/3.5.

Visting Rob is always a pleasure. I picked up the first two scopes at his tiny garage/workshop. Now its a spacious 3 room factory full of various scopes and parts.

Where do I start? The drying room full of STS bearings and cabinets. While the basic design is the same, the new ones incorporate improvements and features much advanced from my early model.

Several completed truss structures occupy the next room. Which looks better, Tiger Maple or Cherry stain?

It snowed all the way back to Virginia. Coincidence?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
The Ardent
Pooh-Bah

Re: Visit to Teeter's Telescopes new [Re: The Ardent]
      #5660702 - 02/03/13 08:48 PM Attachment (96 downloads)

STS tubes

The Ardent
Pooh-Bah

#5660718 - 02/03/13 08:53 PM Attachment (99 downloads)

Tiger Maple upper cage

careysub
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/18/11

Loc: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
      #5660865 - 02/03/13 10:54 PM

Is this the infamous doorway we hear of, holding down the size of Teeter's scopes?

steveyo

Reged: 03/13/12

Loc: Upstate NY
      #5660887 - 02/03/13 11:12 PM

Quote:

STS tubes

One of those tubes is mine! (STS27)

Woohoo!

Mr. Marbles
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/23/05

Loc: Saratoga Springs, NY
Re: Visit to Teeter's Telescopes new [Re: steveyo]
      #5660998 - 02/04/13 12:33 AM

Quote:

Quote:

STS tubes

One of those tubes is mine! (STS27)

Woohoo!

Yes, Steve, it's like a sonogram image.

starman345
Wait, I'm Thinking

Reged: 07/06/10

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
Re: Visit to Teeter's Telescopes new [Re: careysub]
      #5661172 - 02/04/13 06:29 AM

Quote:

Is this the infamous doorway we hear of, holding down the size of Teeter's scopes?

Can't be, you could drive a small car through that one

RobTeeter
Vendor (Teeter's Telescopes)

Reged: 09/30/04

Loc: Rockaway, NJ
Re: Visit to Teeter's Telescopes new [Re: starman345]
      #5662461 - 02/04/13 08:40 PM

If by "small car" you actually mean "go-cart", sure then, yes you can drive one of those through that door.

Thanks for posting these pictures, John. Any more? Possibly in the "showroom" with some more of the truss scopes?

Thanks,

The Ardent
Pooh-Bah

Re: Visit to Teeter's Telescopes new [Re: RobTeeter]
      #5662549 - 02/04/13 09:49 PM Attachment (63 downloads)

Rob, are you the only person who owns both an 8" and 11" STS?

The flourescent lights and my poor photo skills dont do it justice.

The Ardent
Pooh-Bah

#5662577 - 02/04/13 10:04 PM Attachment (64 downloads)

Right after the Superbowl I took the new scope outside. Took a quick look at Jupiter, M1, M35, NGC 2158, 2129, 2903, Tau CMa cluster, M42. The seeing was awful and skies somewhat cloudy. My front yard is in the direct glare of 3 streetlights and the neighbor's porchlights, and I live in the city so the Milky Way is never visible. The scope performed wonderfully, the Joe Flacco of dobs. Its nice to have an 18" scope with the eyepiece 60" at zenith, allowing seated observing. No stepstool , no ladder.

Back in the saddle again! This is the scope I should have bought 5 years ago. How do I change my CN handle? Its a painful reminder of what Phil Harrington calls Caveat Emptor.

fnowat

Reged: 06/12/12

Loc: N.E. Illinois (Chicago suburbs...
      #5688195 - 02/19/13 01:51 AM

I am turning GREEN with envy!! Congratulations Ray!

Mike B
Starstruck

Reged: 04/06/05

Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA
      #5688722 - 02/19/13 11:42 AM

Woah- very impressive array there! Lemme see... i'll try one of those, and one of THOSE, and...

Quote:

Right after the Superbowl I took the new scope outside.

In my neighborhood Caveat Emptor might not be grasped, particularly after an a-list sporting event... maybe more like carry-out-emptier?

An 18-incher with a 60-inch EP height at zenith... what will they think of next?

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
      #5689505 - 02/19/13 07:06 PM

18UC--I see you are buying an 18 inch Teeter; you already own an 18UC, right? Is there a reason you are switching to an 18 inch Teeter?

Pinbout
Postmaster

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
      #5689569 - 02/19/13 07:41 PM

Quote:

The flourescent lights and my poor photo skills dont do it justice.

I like those colors... the middle one with the black hardware. what finish is the middle?

The Ardent
Pooh-Bah

Re: Visit to Teeter's Telescopes new [Re: GeneT]
      #5689890 - 02/19/13 10:40 PM

Quote:

18UC--I see you are buying an 18 inch Teeter; you already own an 18UC, right? Is there a reason you are switching to an 18 inch Teeter?

The short answer is I dont have the 18UC anymore, just the CN handle. I dont think I can change that without re-registering.

Well this is the long story....

In April of 2008 I was at the regional star party with my 6.5" Mak-Newt. That was a great scope, I was able to split Porrima at 330x and have a wide field 2+ degree Milky Way. But...

I was surrounded by big dobs: 15", 18", 20", and 25". For several years I took my 12.5" Discovery, I was the smallest of the big dobs, or largest of the small. The 12.5 never had trouble keeping up with the big boys. But that year I took a smaller scope and the lesson of aperture really hit me.

I went home and looked at big scopes. All the Obsession owners I knew were happy. I liked the classic truss scopes. The 18" UC was new and different. It looked nice on the internet.

The first night I set it up I was unable to collimate it. Just using a laser, I was unable to get the return beam to even hit the secondary. I called them and was told to send the truss back (at my expense) Turns out one truss pole was too long. The trusses are all connected, I wasnt about to take it apart and fool with it.

I got that fixed and used the scope over the next two years. I had ServoCat installed for tracking. The views were great but there were problems with the scope: vibration, dust, stray light, collimation shift, altitude cable came off every time the bearing was folded over. The worst was the mirror sling, it kept coming out of the metal post. The sling was too short and not even wrapped around the post once, I think its supposed to wrap around two or three times.

The best thing about the scope was the OMI mirror, a fantastic, if heavy optic. Ive already been excoriated on this forum for expressing my displeasure with Obsession, but when you spend that much, when you work every weekend and holiday to afford something nice, you want it to work. Not be perfect, just work good the first time.

An observing buddy has an 18" Obsession from 2001. It works great. I really like that scope. Maybe if I had bought the truss...

I sold the structure and kept the mirror. I contacted Rob Teeter. His stuff looked good and he will use your parts. If worse came to worst, he's at NEAF every year. In late 2010 I picked up my new Teeter 18". The scope fit (barely) in my compact car. It was easy to setup and use. I took it to the week long star party and had a ball. I think I just looked at Jupiter for 3 nights straight.

As good as the scope was, I still needed a stepstool to view as the eyepiece was 72" at zenith. I had trouble with arthritis and stepping on and off the stool for several hours was exausting.

In December of 2011 I ordered a mirror from Gordon Waite. I didnt want a specific focal length, just 65" or less at zenith. The mirror was ready in September. I took the old structure up. I picked it up earlier this month. Rob made some changes and improvements.

Last weekend I took it out to a semi-rural site. I just wanted to try the scope on familliar sights and see how things work. Well, it works, and works well. I can sit and observe, motion in alt has a much smaller arc than before. I saw spiral arms in M33 and 51, the separate NGC's within M33, old friends 2403 and 2903, lumps in M82, the two close doubles SW of M81 were resolved, and I saw Thor's Helmet for the first time. I live in the city so I cant see these often.

My problem with this scope is the fast focal ratio. With the Paracorr its about f/4. So a 20mm eyepiece gives an exit pupil of 5mm. I need 2mm and below not to see astigmatism from my eye. But I can still use a 4mm eyepiece for really high power and still have 1mm exit pupil, and no floaters. For me, <1mm = floaters, >3mm = astigmatism.

Im looking forward to spending a good night in Coma Berenices and Canes Venatici: NGC 4565, 4244, 4361, 4656.... I havent seen these in so long.

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
      #5693224 - 02/21/13 05:52 PM

I believe you can change your CN handle without re-registering, if you have a good reason, and I believe you do. I also sold my 18UC. I had collimation issues, did not like the way it handled, did not like the collapsing rings, and the truss poles needed adjustments because the telescope was not tested under the stars before shipment. I ended up buying a second set of trusses. Also, my OMI mirror wasn't all that great. I did not have it tested, but I was disappointed. Years before I had owned a 20 inch Classic Obsession--and loved it. I am getting old and I thought the 18UC would give me a large mirror telescope, but at greatly reduced weight and a smaller footprint. Overall, I was disappointed. I do not believe we are bashing Obsession. DaveK has done much to advance amateur astronomy through his excellent telescopes. However, myself and others have been critical of the Ultra Compact design--not the Classics.

Throughout all this, I had kept my 12.5 inch Portaball. I am glad I did. It is a great telescope.

If I ever buy another telescope, it will be a Teeter or a Starstructure, with Zambutto or Lockwood optics.

Glad you are now happy with your telescope!
GeneT

Jim Romanski
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/02/05

Loc: Guilford, Connecticut
      #5694960 - 02/22/13 03:16 PM

Consider ditching the handle and just using your name. I use a handle for some other forums but decided to use my name for CN. I don't mind beind identified on this forum and now when someone googles my name they get lots of hits of my participation in a very respectable hobby.

knightware
Vendor (Knightware)

Reged: 03/22/06

Loc: North Carolina
Re: Visit to Teeter's Telescopes new [Re: Jim Romanski]
      #5696763 - 02/23/13 02:57 PM

One point made by Ray deserves re-emphasizing, and that is the customization that Rob Teeter offers in telescope building. Rob listens to your needs and requirements, and he works with you to achieve the best solution. His willingness to customize the scope to my specification is what tipped my buying decision. The scope is a pleasure to use.

I also have a Waite Research mirror (f/4.5). When the scope is properly collimated and reaches thermal equilibrium, it produces razor sharp images. Waite mirrors are the real deal.

photiost
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/14/06

Loc: Montreal, Canada
      #5697641 - 02/24/13 12:24 AM

Quote:

Right after the Superbowl I took the new scope outside. Took a quick look at Jupiter, M1, M35, NGC 2158, 2129, 2903, Tau CMa cluster, M42. The seeing was awful and skies somewhat cloudy. My front yard is in the direct glare of 3 streetlights and the neighbor's porchlights, and I live in the city so the Milky Way is never visible. The scope performed wonderfully, the Joe Flacco of dobs. Its nice to have an 18" scope with the eyepiece 60" at zenith, allowing seated observing. No stepstool , no ladder.

Back in the saddle again! This is the scope I should have bought 5 years ago. How do I change my CN handle? Its a painful reminder of what Phil Harrington calls Caveat Emptor.

very nice !!

gaz-in
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/17/07

Re: Visit to Teeter's Telescopes new [Re: photiost]
      #5699499 - 02/25/13 09:41 AM

" also have a Waite Research mirror (f/4.5). When the scope is properly collimated and reaches thermal equilibrium, it produces razor sharp images. Waite mirrors are the real deal. "

X2 My Waite Mirror is just superb! As is the Teeter Structure it resides in...

Pages: 1

Extra information
7 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Phillip Creed, JayinUT, okieav8r 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1731

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics