Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Equipment

Pages: 1
AB9MS

Reged: 10/19/12

Canon 1000D software help needed new
      #5659910 - 02/03/13 12:37 PM

I bought a canon rebel xs (1000d). I don't know why Canon is making installing their drivers so difficult. I've had it a month and have been unable to install the XP drives. I didn't realize that Canon only has the upgrade packages on their website. You have to have the original disk. I dug around and found a register hack that is suppose to allow the software to install. Didn't work. About half the software installed but no DRIVER. Uninstall whipe start over. Finally I searched ebay and bought a "Canon Digital Camera Solution Disk ver 17.2" Still no joy. All the software installed but XP complained the disk contains No DRIVERS. I opened the INI files for the installer sure enough one folder has win95-98 drivers and the other folder has ME/XP drives. The ME/XP INI file states the camera as canon 300. So XP is right driver for my camera not found.
arrggg. So I'm stuck. Anyone that has the Canon 1000D and has the install disk for XP and or Vista What Solution Disk Version came with your camera? Apparently I need to buy that Exact Version on Ebay. Getting the camera to work with the computer was not supposed to be the hard part of AP.
Thank You.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
korborh
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/29/11

Loc: Arizona
Re: Canon 1000D software help needed new [Re: AB9MS]
      #5660240 - 02/03/13 03:52 PM

What was the registry hack you tried? The following worked for me allowing installation of the canon software.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Canon\DPP]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Canon\Digital Photo Professional]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Canon\ZoomBrowser EX]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Canon\EOS Capture]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Canon\EOSViewerUtility]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Canon\PhotoStitch]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Canon\EOS Utility]

AB9MS

Re: Canon 1000D software help needed new [Re: korborh]
      #5660512 - 02/03/13 06:17 PM

Yup. Thats the one. I got the apps installed but not the drivers.

AB9MS

#5660521 - 02/03/13 06:21 PM

When i attach the camera to a usb2 port i still get xp asking to install the drivers. Device manager has the orange "!" Triangle symbol and says it can't find any drivers for this device.

korborh
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Canon 1000D software help needed [Re: AB9MS]
      #5660773 - 02/03/13 09:34 PM

Did you install the Canon EOS utility ? After installing that windows should be able to connect to your camera. I dont think a separate driver is needed.

AB9MS

#5661169 - 02/04/13 06:27 AM

Yup. It's installed. The options requiring communication with the camera are grayed out. The other option is the camera is bad.

korborh
scholastic sledgehammer

#5661441 - 02/04/13 10:21 AM

You may want to try installing the software on another computer to rule out camera issue.

AB9MS

#5661929 - 02/04/13 02:42 PM

I've tried a few already. My a netbook, a laptop and a desktop. To be fair I'm not sure if the netbook is USB1 or USB2, but I'm am sure of the laptop and desktop being USB2. If that makes a difference? I had to get a copy of the CD and transfer it to a thumb drive to install it on the netbook.

Binary Star

Reged: 09/04/08

Loc: N.E. Ohio
      #5662700 - 02/04/13 11:30 PM

Are you sure of the disk version that's needed? The one that came with mine was version 18.1. The Canon 300d you mention was a couple models before the XS.

Regardless, as korborh said there really isn't a need for a specific driver with XP, the disks are for the associated software (EOS Utility). One other thing you can check is that your XP is up to date with Service Pack 3. Send me a PM if you need the CD.

snowcrow
sage

Reged: 10/21/12

Loc: Vermont
Re: Canon 1000D software help needed new [Re: Binary Star]
      #5662921 - 02/05/13 04:58 AM

Try another USB cable.

AB9MS

Re: Canon 1000D software help needed new [Re: snowcrow]
      #5662999 - 02/05/13 07:49 AM

I just checked. It is at Service Pack 3. And I've tried several different USB cables already. Its been a long month.
Buyers remorse is definitely setting in. When I plug it in an turn it on XP says new hardware found "DCP" no drives found.

D_talley
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/07/05

Loc: Richmond VA
      #5663042 - 02/05/13 08:23 AM

It is not the cable. The problem is you need the Canon software CD that came with that camera. I have 6 different Canon cameras and they will not load in XP without the driver cd that they came with. No registry hack will change that.

Good luck finding one.

AB9MS

Re: Canon 1000D software help needed new [Re: D_talley]
      #5663126 - 02/05/13 09:17 AM

Now we've come full circle. Ebay has dozens of differnt versions available. I just need to know which version. Binary STAR Suggested 18.1.
Would a much newer version work?

AB9MS

#5667704 - 02/07/13 07:21 PM

Well, after 8 hours with google I know my canon 1000d is in Factory Service Mode. No solution yet to how to get it back into Normal mode though.

Geo.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/01/08

Loc: Upstate NY
      #5669481 - 02/08/13 05:37 PM

Per Canon: "There is no driver for the OS Version you selected [XP]. The driver may be included in your OS or you may not need a driver."

Nor is there any for the 400D, 450D or 550D. Canon cameras require a consumer driver and a factory service mode driver. The Consumer driver for the 1000D is a PTP driver. The PTP driver is part of the XP operating system and is generic. In Factory Mode the Factory DCP driver is needed. This driver is part of every software purchase, so you need the OEM CD for the 1000D.

AB9MS

Re: Canon 1000D software help needed new [Re: Geo.]
      #5670379 - 02/09/13 09:39 AM

I've bought a copy of Canon Software Solutions disk ver 17.2 According to canon they shipped 17.0 with the 1000d. The PTP driver is on the disk but the DCP driver is nowhere on it. I've looked at every .inf file in notepad and see no reference to it. Since consumers were never intended to use Factory Service Mode why would they include driver for that mode?

Phil Sherman
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/07/10

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
      #5670996 - 02/09/13 04:30 PM

I'm not surprised that you can't find the driver. The driver is not an installable component but is included when you install the Canon utilities. These are the basic utilities necessary to provide communication between the camera and the OS.

I believe that the utilities are available from Canon's web site but it's been a long time since I was there. At one point, I used the site to retrieve the utilities for my 350D so I could use it on a new computer. A few years later, I found the original box for the camera and inside it was the software disk with everything on it.

Phil

AB9MS

Re: Canon 1000D software help needed new [Re: Phil Sherman]
      #5671029 - 02/09/13 04:53 PM

I've got EOS and other programs installed for the disk. The OS does not recognize the hardware. The camera used two different drivers depending on which communications mode it is in. It should always be in PTP mode. This camera is in Factory Service Mode. It uses a different driver for that. I do appreciate all the suggestions. I don't intend to sound short. I've been fighting this camera since December. Total waste of money so far.

Pages: 1

Extra information
15 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cbwerner, tecmage, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 889

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics