Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Refractors

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Astrophysics 6 f12 Superplanetary ebay scam new [Re: Napersky]
      #5637288 - 01/22/13 04:28 PM

You'd think with a million of these out there, the cost would go down..........

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
sage

Reged: 11/05/06

Loc: mid tenn
Re: Astrophysics 6 f12 Superplanetary ebay scam new [Re: 123456]
      #5658595 - 02/02/13 05:45 PM

its back on the ebay again !!!!

BigC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/29/10

Loc: SE Indiana
Re: Astrophysics 6 f12 Superplanetary ebay scam [Re: 123456]
      #5661053 - 02/04/13 01:36 AM

There are several other scopes being "offered" with nearly the exact wording and instructions to contact a gmail address before bidding.I reported ahalf-dozen so far. Ebay depends on users reporting questionable ads.No way could ebay have enough people knowledgable about all items to stop the scammers.

CAVEAT EMPTOR!!!

Let the buyer beware !!

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: Astrophysics 6 f12 Superplanetary ebay scam new [Re: BigC]
      #5661370 - 02/04/13 09:38 AM

This is why eBay died for scopes, years ago.

-Rich

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Astrophysics 6 f12 Superplanetary ebay scam new [Re: Starhawk]
      #5661377 - 02/04/13 09:44 AM

Yep, yep...I wouldn't trust it.

orlyandico
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
Re: Astrophysics 6 f12 Superplanetary ebay scam new [Re: t.r.]
      #5661475 - 02/04/13 10:40 AM

true. no more deals to be had on ebay.

i got my C9.25 off ebay for $600 though. 3 years ago. best deal i got. even today you'd be hard pressed to find a 9.25 on the mart or here on CN for that price.

that was 3 years ago though. i still check ebay every now and then but no more such bargains to be had.

AstroEd

Reged: 05/27/07

Re: Astrophysics 6 f12 Superplanetary ebay scam.. new [Re: orlyandico]
      #6130471 - 10/11/13 07:07 AM

It's up again.

Astrophysics 6 f12 Superplanetary refractor on Losmandy Celestron G11 mount.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Astrophysics-6-f12-Superplanetary-refractor-on-Losm...

Rich

Reged: 01/21/06

Loc: Seattle
Re: Astrophysics 6 f12 Superplanetary ebay scam.. new [Re: AstroEd]
      #6132371 - 10/12/13 01:34 AM

Too bad these people can't be tracked down. A friend of mine "bought" a many thousand dollar popup trailer off CL that was to be delivered... never saw it. I sometimes wonder about good deals being stollen property too. Oh well, buyer be aware.

AstroEd

Reged: 05/27/07

Re: Astrophysics 6 f12 Superplanetary ebay scam.. new [Re: Rich]
      #6150500 - 10/21/13 08:00 PM

Back up yet again.
Time left: 23h 46m 39s (23 Oct, 2013 00:44:11 BST)
Astrophysics 6 f12 Superplanetary refractor on Losmandy Celestron G11 mount...starting bid US $0.99!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Astrophysics-6-f12-Superplanetary-refractor-on-Losm...

Seanem44
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/22/11

Loc: Woodbridge, VA
Re: Astrophysics 6 f12 Superplanetary ebay scam new [Re: Napersky]
      #6154012 - 10/23/13 04:12 PM

I am near my limit with ebay. I have had a bout of bad luck. One non-payer, and then someone who claimed he didn't receive my item. I refunded that guy and the product came back to my house a month later as "refused". I was able to sell again, but lost the shipping.

The most infuriating part is the final value fee that I suppose they enacted while I was asleep this past year. I'm needing to sell extra items just to cover the cost of items I sell. What is it, like 10%? Borderline ridiculous now.

As for Astro equipment, I don't think I will sell or buy on eBay ever.

Kottmeier

Reged: 11/23/11

Re: Astrophysics 6 f12 Superplanetary ebay scam new [Re: Seanem44]
      #6160972 - 10/27/13 03:36 PM

Very glad I came here and read these posts. Wow, I was almost duped by this:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Astrophysics-6-f12-Superplanetary-refractor-on-Losmand...

Thank you good people of CN. Cheers!

The Ardent
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/24/08

Loc: Virginia
      #6160979 - 10/27/13 03:40 PM

I gave up on Ebay several years ago. Nothing but junk and scams.

epdreher
sage

Reged: 06/12/11

Loc: Republic of Texas
      #6161009 - 10/27/13 03:55 PM

Often well-known retailers, including Astro-sellers we all know, will have an Ebay presence. I'll deal with them, but not the unknowns. Items sold by the well-knowns are sometimes cheaper than their online price in the way of shipping costs. I have no idea why this is so.

Likewise, I've used several reputable retailers for guitar-related items, and continue to do so if they're known to me and have a good history. Safe enough.

Otherwise, caveat emptor.

Pete-LH
sage

Reged: 03/25/09

Loc: Wilmington, DE
Re: Astrophysics 6 f12 Superplanetary ebay scam new [Re: Kottmeier]
      #6161142 - 10/27/13 05:34 PM

Yes, Interesting it is back. Also interesting, on this add I don't see a place to ask the seller questions. I think I sent a question on a previous appearance for the status and a picture of the lens.

It is curious that this venue was chosen to pray upon EBayers.

I have had pretty good luck in general on E-Bay. I found my G11 and C9.25 and a C-8 from an estate sale. Before that I typically would get used PC motherboards and memory ... only had one bad transaction. One friend lost out big time on a purchase but he should have known something was up(much like this EBay scam)

I haven't used it(EBay) in a while and I noticed they adjusted the member rating for myself-still lists my number of transactions-but not my %rate of satisfied transactions.

I still peruse for unusual items.

stevew
Now I've done it

Reged: 03/03/06

Loc: British Columbia Canada
Re: Astrophysics 6 f12 Superplanetary ebay scam new [Re: Pete-LH]
      #6161398 - 10/27/13 08:01 PM

But E-bay is a great place to get antique telescopes......

stevew
Now I've done it

Reged: 03/03/06

Loc: British Columbia Canada
Re: Astrophysics 6 f12 Superplanetary ebay scam new [Re: stevew]
      #6161415 - 10/27/13 08:12 PM

Actually the last time I bought a scope of E-bay was about 12 years ago. I just fell in love with an old Coulter Odyssey 8.
Just a moment of nostalgia, remembering my early days of getting in to this hobby.
The guy crated it up with plywood, and I paid as much for the shipping cost as I did for the scope.
When I received the scope the mirror was badly neglected. Caked on dust and the tube was full of spider webs. I clean up the mirror and put a 2 inch helical focuser on it, and a Telrad. It works fine for deep sky objects below about 120X, so I let the kids use it, and they have been getting very proficient pulling in Messier objects over the past few years. When they get bored with it I'll just pass it along to our local astronomy club for use in their loaner program.
But no more E-Bay scopes for me even if it's an Astrophysics 6 inch F-12.........

Steve

Ava
sage

Reged: 11/30/11

Loc: Sweden
Re: Astrophysics 6 f12 Superplanetary ebay scam new [Re: stevew]
      #6161816 - 10/28/13 02:48 AM

I have bought a lot of eyepieces (CZJ orthos mostly) off eBay with only one bad experience. In that case it took the seller almost 3 months to send the eyepiece, didn't happen until I filed a claim with eBay but that got his attention and I eventually received it. I've bought some other accessories as well but nothing really really expensive.

Remember, you can get scammed with classifieds too, at least with eBay you have an intermediate that can assure you get at least some of your money back. Sometimes PayPal helps in that regard too. So scams may be more common on eBay (it's a larger venue after all) than on classifieds like on CN, AM or astrobuysell but they still happen everywhere, the buyer should always be aware of too good deals or fishy responses. Personally I shun PayPal "pay as gift" or any money transfers for this reason unless I'm really really sure about the seller.

BigC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/29/10

Loc: SE Indiana
Re: Astrophysics 6 f12 Superplanetary ebay scam new [Re: orlyandico]
      #6162441 - 10/28/13 12:43 PM

Been on ebay from waaay back...

Bought a lot of electronics,books, and scopes.

Part of the reason there are fewer "deals" is that sellers are more likely to research the value and not sell cheap unless they know it is broken,etc.

The reason there are scams is because there are many buyers and the more buyers the more likely some buyers will not do their research.Some foolish buyers pay full MSRP(or even more) for generic scopes.Some sellers set ridiculous high prices in hope of snaring a foolish buyer.

The really tricky scammers have ways to avoid eBay policies but everyone should just avoid such sellers.

Anyone on ebay who wants you to pay outside the system,demands you message them for permission to buy, and other non-standard rules ,should be reported and DON'T BID.

Some use huge amount of white space below their description but if you scroll down far enough the usual ebay ask a question and report an item should be there.

I've reported the superplanetary/questar/meade deluxe scammer dozens of times-he simply registers a new use name ,sometimes within hours, and relists the same items using stolen pictures from other auctions.

I have had to "open a case" more this past year than in the previous decade and a half;thankfully they have always been decided in my favor.

As always,"let the buyer beware"!

It was good advice in Roman times and remains so.

TG
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/02/06

Loc: Latitude 47
Re: Astrophysics 6 f12 Superplanetary ebay scam new [Re: epdreher]
      #6164679 - 10/29/13 02:06 PM

Quote:

Often well-known retailers, including Astro-sellers we all know, will have an Ebay presence. I'll deal with them, but not the unknowns.

[snip]

Otherwise, caveat emptor.

Indeed. I bought my 178mm A-P refractor off ebay (it was sold by Texas Nautical, a well know Tak dealer) but did call them up to make doubly sure.

Ebay is safe enough if you have scam filters installed in your wetware

BTW, there is another Questar 7 scam going on with the same tactics as this one. Probably the same gang.

Tanveer.

dan_h
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/10/07

Re: Astrophysics 6 f12 Superplanetary ebay scam new [Re: The Ardent]
      #6164737 - 10/29/13 02:40 PM

Quote:

I gave up on Ebay several years ago. Nothing but junk and scams.

And shills.

dan

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
12 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Scott in NC, FirstSight, panhard, star drop 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5040

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics