Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Steve Cobb

Reged: 04/26/10

Re: 14" SCT setup/teardown concerns new [Re: Qwickdraw]
      #5656844 - 02/01/13 05:44 PM

Nope. Not Mr. Anything although I do think about running for Governor of California from time to time. The CGEM-DX is the 50 pound payload version of the CGEM German Equatorial Mount. Because it breaks down into heavy but doable pieces it is possible for one person and especially for one person with someone else there to be sure you don't push the tripod and mount over, etc. There is no way I could even lift a C-14 on an attached fork mount that didn't totally disassemble. Curling C-14s keeps you in shape but there are limits.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
spongebob@55
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/26/11

Loc: Bergen Co. New Jersey
Re: 14" SCT setup/teardown concerns new [Re: Steve Cobb]
      #5657355 - 02/01/13 11:20 PM

Quote:

It can be done. I have a C-14 CGEM-DX. I am nearly 70 and essentially put the fifty pound OTA on the mount each time by myself. That is the only really hard part although the tripod and the mount are both separate, heavy pieces. Something I find very helpful is to have a step ladder or other high chair type apparatus so you can lift the OTA from the ground to a step 3 or more feet off the ground, pause for a moment, and then lift it onto the mount. That works for me easier than going from ground to mount in one movement. The type of mounting bar on the scope and mount interface are quite unhelpful since it is difficult to just set the OTA into the mount. It needs to be slid in rather than placed directly in unless you really loosen the mount until the device which holds the OTA is so loose it almost falls off. That is how I do it since holding up the heavy OTA and wiggling it until it slides in is too hard. With regard to whether you will use it; I do not take it if it is a city star party where we don't have dark skies. Otherwise I do although it does take the better part of am hour to set it up. Add another hour if the finder scope is not calibrated with the OTA and you have to try to remedy that by pointing the OTA. Taking it down is no problem.

RIGHT ON! I know I have at least another 13 years to do the same for my C14 and CGE PRO. Yee Ha!
Bob

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
Re: 14" SCT setup/teardown concerns new [Re: spongebob@55]
      #5657540 - 02/02/13 03:05 AM

My 14" is permanently mounted, and on a fork; so I have no direct experience.

BUT: If this were me, I'd go the scope buggy route. A max of 100 degrees in your shed should be OK; just have a box fan or two running all the time in there when it's hot and you're not using it. It gets a lot hotter here, so I had to put in a window A/C unit.

Also, I suggest mounting rings instead of the dove-tail mount. Less flexure, and easier to mount and secure the OTA. I watched a friend mounting his C11 on a dovetail, and he almost crashed and burned a couple of times. Rings would be easy. (This is just based on what seems reasonable to me; in real life, maybe I'm wrong).

I do know that the bloom will be off the rose fairly soon if you have to set up and tear down that monster every time.

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: 14" SCT setup/teardown concerns new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #5658092 - 02/02/13 12:53 PM

I really can't recommend the C14 for anything but permanetly mounting. You should certainly not buy one until you have a chance to see one and lift/mount it in person. This is really the key to deciding whether or not to get one. They really are immense and photos and numbers simply don't do them justice. There are definitely ways to handle this size OTA that work, but as others have mentioned, you are likely to find it simply too combersome and end up not using it. The C11 is a much more manageable size, but it is by no means small an light either. If you are unable to see and lift one in person, then I would definitely not buy anything bigger than the C11.

Wil2010

Reged: 08/17/10

Loc: Millville, CA
      #5660532 - 02/03/13 06:27 PM

Greetings.

When I took the leap, I had no concerns that I could set up and tare down the C14 and CGE Mount with ease. After only a few times I sadly realized that the C14 set up was a bit to big to do it often. The OTA is the size of a small trash can and manipulating it in the dark is a feat that has you on pins and needles. The OTA doesn't exactly weigh too much, about 50 lbs, but the large awkward size is what makes it difficult. I finally came to the realization that I just wasn't using this amazing equipment all that much, so sadly I am selling it off. I will most likely buy a smaller set up that will allow me to use it more. This is just my 2 cents worth but the C14 is a pretty darn big OTA Good Luck with whatever you choose to do. Clear Skies WiL

PS. The C11 is a wonderful size OTA. ... OTA is 28lbs or so, but that darn aperture fever set in and I sold it off to purchase the C14 LOL darn it! Will I ever learn??

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
Re: 14" SCT setup/teardown concerns new [Re: Wil2010]
      #5660643 - 02/03/13 08:00 PM

I am in the unique position of having owned both the 14" LX850 and the 14" EdgeHD. with CGE-PRO. For me they are about the same. I'd say the mount is heavier on the CGE-Pro but it can be broken down into two more manageable parts. The LX850 is lighter and has grab handles to make it a little easier to manage but has other drawbacks. Either way is equally difficult. I typically set up on a Friday night and tear down on a Monday morning but now'a'days unless there is bad weather I just leave it up but covered.

The OTA weight was about the same for me.

Edit: And what others have said I find to be true as well. I find myself gravitating towards my lighter grab-n-go stuff because I can be up and running in minutes and have it all put away again in minutes. I am in the market for an 8"EdgeHD for my Advanced VX mount for visual only.

Edited by Whichwayisnorth (02/03/13 08:03 PM)

KDizzle
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/12/08

Loc: Woodinville, WA
Re: 14" SCT setup/teardown concerns new [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #5660877 - 02/03/13 11:03 PM

Negotiating stairs while carrying this type of equipment is a definite bad idea. I don't even like to walk stairs with the CPC1100. Moving a CGE Pro isn't particularly difficult but it's not in the category of "fun". Plus, putting everything together again, rebalancing etc will become not-very-fun.

It's been mentioned already, but the solution here is really for something like wheely bars. My biggest scope with mount, counterweights and everything on it is probably ~300 lbs and it takes all of about 1 minute to roll it out and start aligning. If I had to take it apart and rebuild it each night, I'd need to have friends come over.

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Re: 14" SCT setup/teardown concerns [Re: KDizzle]
      #5661077 - 02/04/13 02:17 AM

With the LX850, I wonder if Meade is moving toward abandoning the fork mount?

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
      #5661535 - 02/04/13 11:07 AM

Quote:

With the LX850, I wonder if Meade is moving toward abandoning the fork mount?

I doubt it. The LX600/650 is supposed to be next out and they would have to be crazy to abandon the LX90 and LX200 lines or something similar. The question is whether Meade is moving toward anything other than oblivion at this point.

Steve Cobb

Reged: 04/26/10

Re: 14" SCT setup/teardown concerns new [Re: Wil2010]
      #5661756 - 02/04/13 01:14 PM

You make a good point about dealing with a C-14 in the dark. That is one of the rules I seem to be developing about it's use versus a C-8. I don't take the C-14 if there is a realistic chance of it clouding up so there will be usage time limits or if there will be a lot of light pollution. I also try to get to the observing spot before it gets dark. I feel more comfortable putting up the beast in daylight. Taking it down in the dark is not a problem. Gravity helps greatly.

ahopp
sage

Reged: 05/24/12

Re: 14" SCT setup/teardown concerns new [Re: Steve Cobb]
      #5662023 - 02/04/13 03:47 PM

I set my 14" up in my mobile observatory, I have a cross bar above the tripod that I attache a winch to. This allows me to suspend the OTA over the mount. Then safely lower.

Tony

ahopp
sage

Reged: 05/24/12

Re: 14" SCT setup/teardown concerns new [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #5662027 - 02/04/13 03:50 PM

Quote:

I am in the unique position of having owned both the 14" LX850 and the 14" EdgeHD. with CGE-PRO.
/quote] - Whichwayisnorth

I too purchased a 14" LX800/850 that was recalled. When did you get your back, and, do you get to keep it or were you simply beta testing?

Tony

Qwickdraw
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/03/12

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
Re: 14" SCT setup/teardown concerns new [Re: ahopp]
      #5664171 - 02/05/13 07:01 PM

Well, things just got a little more problematic for me. I have been in the hospital since Friday after suffering a mild heart attack. Three stents later added to my prior two makes five. Next time will be open heart bypass if there is a next time. Not to say that carrying a scope outside would be too much but dang, I am only 52 years old.

Rick Woods
Postmaster

#5664307 - 02/05/13 08:52 PM

Well, damn - that sounds like a whole lot of no fun! Maybe you should stand down on that 14", and think about maybe an 8" on wheels, or even something smaller!

Scott BeithAdministrator
SRF

Reged: 11/26/03

Loc: Frederick, MD
      #5664415 - 02/05/13 10:11 PM

I hope you heal quickly! Take care of yourself.

bilgebay
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/06/08

Loc: Turkiye - Istanbul and Marmari...
Re: 14" SCT setup/teardown concerns new [Re: Scott Beith]
      #5664560 - 02/06/13 01:37 AM

I wish you a soon recovery.

Stelios
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/04/03

Loc: West Hills, CA
      #5667378 - 02/07/13 04:05 PM

Get better, then take care of yourself. At 52 it's not too late to make lifestyle changes to make sure that you enjoy astronomy and all that life has to offer for many, many more years.

David PavlichAdministrator
Transmographied

Reged: 05/18/05

Loc: Mandeville, LA USA
      #5668006 - 02/07/13 10:41 PM

If you're going to be negotiating steps, this could be enough to discourage you from using it as much as you'd like. You'll have to make several trips for sure. Do you have a garage? I used to have a CGE/C14 and had the whole shootn'match on a Scopebuggy. It sure made life easier to just wheel the stuff out in one fell swoop.

But, if it's up and down steps, you might want to think about the C11 instead. I just installed one in my observatory and found it fairly light and I've got the shoulders of 75 year old...darn weight lifting injuries.

David

Qwickdraw
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/03/12

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
Re: 14" SCT setup/teardown concerns new [Re: David Pavlich]
      #5671070 - 02/09/13 05:23 PM

Quote:

If you're going to be negotiating steps, this could be enough to discourage you from using it as much as you'd like. You'll have to make several trips for sure. Do you have a garage? I used to have a CGE/C14 and had the whole shootn'match on a Scopebuggy. It sure made life easier to just wheel the stuff out in one fell swoop.

But, if it's up and down steps, you might want to think about the C11 instead. I just installed one in my observatory and found it fairly light and I've got the shoulders of 75 year old...darn weight lifting injuries.

David

I do have a rather large shed with double doors. My biggest concerns with the shed are somebody breaking into it and it can get well over 110 deg in there in the summer.

Matt Houston

Reged: 02/08/13

Loc: Florida
      #5674622 - 02/11/13 06:57 PM

I had an EdgeHD 14" with the CGE Pro mount a few years ago when they first came out. I set it up by myself once and I was a nervous wreck. I knew that one mistake would be disaster. I'm a strong guy and go the gym frequently, so lifting heavy objects isn't such a big deal. But lifting a precision instrument and holding it up with one hand while I tighten the mount screws with the other...I decided to sell the scope after that.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
11 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4909

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics