Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Equipment

Pages: 1
Telaeus

Reged: 05/19/09

Need advice for a decent diagonal, but not top end
      #5661744 - 02/04/13 01:08 PM

Hey folks. I just picked up a used Vixen ED103S that came with a cheap 2" diagonal and one 21mm Baader Hyperion eyepiece. I think I've settled on the Celestron AVX mount (it came with a Vixen porta) as a decent not too expensive mount (I do plan on starting AP). And I'm looking at maybe the Meade 4000 eyepiece kit to give me something to start with that's ok.

However, it seems to be much harder to find info on diagonals. I don't want to get a cheap diagonal. However, I am trying to keep costs reasonable. What's a decent diagonal for this setup? Thanks!

Matt

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Need advice for a decent diagonal, but not top end new [Re: Telaeus]
      #5661763 - 02/04/13 01:17 PM

Most any GSO Dielectric or clone.

MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/10

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
Re: Need advice for a decent diagonal, but not top end new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5661846 - 02/04/13 01:59 PM

I have been quite happy with this one from our sponsor. You also get a small Cloudy Nights discount!

http://www.astronomics.com/astro-tech-2-inch-99-percent-reflectivity-dielectr...

Telaeus

Re: Need advice for a decent diagonal, but not top end new [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #5662158 - 02/04/13 05:22 PM

Ok, well that makes it easy. Thanks for the advice!

Matt

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
      #5662316 - 02/04/13 07:06 PM

Quote:

Hey folks. I just picked up a used Vixen ED103S that came with a cheap 2" diagonal

How "cheap" is cheap? Unless the current diagonal is plastic, whatever you buy, don't expect a lot of difference.

Jon

Paco_Grande
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/14/12

Loc: Banana Republic of California
Re: Need advice for a decent diagonal, but not top end new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5662367 - 02/04/13 07:44 PM

99% dielectric. Orion has theirs on sale right now, under $120. The 2" Williams Optics Carbon dielectric is $135 from AgenaAstro.

That AstroTech is a nice one. But try to find one...

Also, the GSO's are real nice, too.

Bart
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/28/06

Loc: Somewhere near Charlottesville...
Re: Need advice for a decent diagonal, but not top end new [Re: Paco_Grande]
      #5662413 - 02/04/13 08:13 PM

I second the Orion Dielectric . Very well built. The one linked here is the 2", they make a 1.25" as well.

johntrob
sage

Reged: 03/14/11

Loc: Georgia, USA
Re: Need advice for a decent diagonal, but not top end new [Re: Bart]
      #5662948 - 02/05/13 06:12 AM

I have bought two here on CN swap shop and classifieds. Watch the ads, some goods one show up at decent prices occasionally.

John

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Need advice for a decent diagonal, but not top end new [Re: johntrob]
      #5663038 - 02/05/13 08:22 AM

Good Point John. You can save in the classifieds. Jon (different guy, different spelling)also made a good point: What about the diagonal that came with the Vixen. Vixen usually has pretty good quality stuff, and if the diagonal is metal, you're probably good to go. Is it possible they sent you a terrestrial diagonal (look at a tree, does it appear right side up and does left to right match (ie. you see thru the diagonal/eyepiece what you would see without one), if it does, its a terrestrial diagonal and you will need to replace it for astronomy use. (Note: at 103mm, it is doubtful it is a terrestrial diagonal, but hey, strange things happen in this hobby. Like Jon said, if its not plastic, its doubful you'll see much difference. I'd ask to try someone else's first, just to get an idea. It is also possible your diagonal's mirror isn't aligned properly (Do you have any "chopped off views" or where one side of the FOV is in focus and the other side not?)

Telaeus

Re: Need advice for a decent diagonal, but not top end new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5663677 - 02/05/13 02:29 PM

Jon - I say cheap because while it's a nice scope, he sent it with non-Vixen parts the rest of the way. I got him to add in one Baader Hyperion eyepiece when I bought it for a price. But the finder scope was in bad shape (arrived with a snapped thumbscrew and only one wire in the finder eyepiece (the other was hanging out). Don't remember the brand, but it was close to a no-name - couldn't even buy one anymore.

I don't think the 2" diagonal is what came with it. I could be wrong, having never seen a new one. However, since I was looking at getting 1.25" eyepieces, I figured I'd need an adaptor or new diagonal anyway. Then I figured I might as well get a decent one.

Other John - I have been watching the classifieds. Thanks!

CSR - It's not a terrestrial diagonal. As far as testing how well it focuses, I got it last week, and the weather has been awful. Best I've been able to do is put it together and stare at it. And look at trees in the distance (upside-down trees). I don't remember noticing any chopped off trees though.

Matt

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

#5663735 - 02/05/13 03:08 PM

Quote:

I don't think the 2" diagonal is what came with it. I could be wrong, having never seen a new one. However, since I was looking at getting 1.25" eyepieces, I figured I'd need an adaptor or new diagonal anyway. Then I figured I might as well get a decent one.

Matt:

"No-name" diagonals can still be good diagonals. The job of the refractor diagonal is pretty easy because it so close to focal plane.

I have four 2 inch diagonals, two are dielectric TeleVue Everbrights which are of the highest quality, the bodies are machined from a single piece of aluminum, no threaded nose piece. I also have a Meade Dielectric diagonal and I have a no-name diagonal with what I assume to be standard coatings.

At the eyepiece, they all look about the same.

The advantage of the dielectric diagonals is the surface is much harder than the standard and therefore more durable, easier to clean without damage.

I suspect your current diagonal would do a good job for you. Post a photo and someone will probably recognize it.

Jon

Telaeus

#5663793 - 02/05/13 03:38 PM

Jon,

I'll have to take a closer look when I get home. Would be nice to only have to buy an adapter...

Matt

Telaeus

#5664342 - 02/05/13 09:23 PM Attachment (12 downloads)

Here's a pic of the diagonal I have. Any good?

Thanks!

Matt

Paco_Grande
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/14/12

Loc: Banana Republic of California
      #5664392 - 02/05/13 09:54 PM

I'd think any diagonal with a compression ring is going to be just fine, unless it's damaged. And that has a compression ring. So, if the image looks proper-good, then buying something else won't make any diff.

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
Re: Need advice for a decent diagonal, but not top end new [Re: Paco_Grande]
      #5664737 - 02/06/13 07:28 AM

Hi Taleus:

Chances are, that diagonal is as good as the next. There's probably no need to buy a new one.

On the other hand, there's something to be said for a pretty face! I have a William Optics 2" and a GSO clone. Through the eyepiece, they views are identical. But I always find myself reaching for the WO and it's sleek, sexy good looks instead of the clone's blocky design.

-Dan

Telaeus

Re: Need advice for a decent diagonal, but not top end new [Re: Midnight Dan]
      #5665181 - 02/06/13 12:45 PM

Ok, thanks for the look-see. I can appreciate a pretty face, but I probably won't worry about such things until after all the other necessities are bought. Until then, I'll go with this.

Thanks! I had no idea there wasn't a bigger difference... figured if it was any kind of glass between you and the image, there would be major quality differences between stock and upgraded.

Matt

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

#5665328 - 02/06/13 01:57 PM

Quote:

Ok, thanks for the look-see. I can appreciate a pretty face, but I probably won't worry about such things until after all the other necessities are bought. Until then, I'll go with this.

Thanks! I had no idea there wasn't a bigger difference... figured if it was any kind of glass between you and the image, there would be major quality differences between stock and upgraded.

Matt

Matt:

The fact that diagonal is so close to the focal plane means that overall flatness is not so important. Each part of the image is reflected off a small area of the diagonal. A Newtonian or SCT/Mak secondary mirror is quite different because the entire mirror contributes to every part of the image.

I think you are taking the wise course, take care of the necessities first and then if you want a new diagonal, take your time and buy one.

Jon

Telaeus

#5665730 - 02/06/13 05:45 PM

Interesting. I have much to learn. This was a hobby of my father's when I was a kid. Used to observe together... and then I moved out, and haven't had a scope since. Just my Astronomy magazine for 20 years. So I have many fond memories, but little technical know-how. Thanks for the info!

Matt

Pages: 1

Extra information
12 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tecmage, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 770

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics