Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Beginning and Intermediate Imaging

Pages: 1
rboone2020

Reged: 09/14/11

AutoGuider Mount
      #5662424 - 02/04/13 08:17 PM

Folks,

I've had some fun buying a little equipment for my imaging. I've now got my camera and my computer on a 12 volt supply - very exciting. I am now looking at autoguiding ... I sure envy the five minute or longer exposures people report.

I own a Celestron C6-SGT. I'm planning on purchasing an Orion SSAG, and was going to buy an 80 mm Celestron guide scope. I'm having second thoughts ... people talk about the extra weight and it seems a little troublesome to attach to my mount. I saw in an old post a mini-guide scope that seemed attractive (can't find it again, sorry). The person had the little guide scope on some kind of mount that clamped right to the orange dovetail bar that the telescope itself is mounted to. Pretty slick, it seems.

Thanks for getting through that ... a few questions, then -
Do folks like their 50 mm guide scopes more than an 80 mm, say?
If so, what kind of guide scope do people prefer? I'm talking something less than $200.
Does anyone know where the clamps/mounts that I am speaking of might be available? They sling a mini guide scope below the imaging tube.

Thanks for your help,
Randy

Edited by rboone2020 (02/04/13 09:44 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rigel123
Postmaster

Reged: 06/29/09

Loc: SW Ohio
Re: AutoGuider Mount new [Re: rboone2020]
      #5662534 - 02/04/13 09:37 PM

If you plan on getting the Orion SSAG just go ahead and get the Mini Auto Guider package that comes with the 50mm guide scope. Many of us use that and you can either use the mounting hardware that comes with it or you can look at ADM accessories to get some rings to mount it to your dovetail on your C6.

Here is a link to the ADM Accessories:

http://www.admaccessories.com/MDS_guidescope_kit.htm

Edited by rigel123 (02/04/13 09:41 PM)

zerro1
Postmaster

Reged: 08/02/09

Loc: Smokey Point , 48.12°N 122.25...
      #5662536 - 02/04/13 09:38 PM

The mini Guide scopes work really nice in my experience with them . I'm not sure on the dovetail clamp. Might look at ADM Accessories to see what you can find.

rboone2020

Reged: 09/14/11

Re: AutoGuider Mount new [Re: zerro1]
      #5662551 - 02/04/13 09:49 PM

Ah, very good. That's the Orion Awesome AutoGuider Refractor Package?

http://www.telescope.com/Orion-Awesome-AutoGuider-Refractor-Telescope-Package...

Thanks again,
Randy

rigel123
Postmaster

Reged: 06/29/09

Loc: SW Ohio
      #5662562 - 02/04/13 09:56 PM

That one will work but this is the one most of us use:

http://www.telescope.com/Astrophotography/Autoguiding-Solutions/Orion-Magnifi...

NorthBoundTrain
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/23/11

Re: AutoGuider Mount new [Re: rigel123]
      #5662814 - 02/05/13 01:25 AM

Quote:

That one will work but this is the one most of us use:

http://www.telescope.com/Astrophotography/Autoguiding-Solutions/Orion-Magnifi...

I have used both the ST80mm & the Mini 50mm with the SSAG, I find the Mini to be easier to work with.

Just my

HenryV1598

Reged: 09/01/10

Loc: Houston
Re: AutoGuider Mount new [Re: NorthBoundTrain]
      #5667638 - 02/07/13 06:39 PM

I have a few recommendations here based on trial and error as well as conversations with some very talented imagers.

1.) your mount is going to constantly dissapoint you for AP. I've got a CG-5, which I believe is the mount you have with a C6-SGT. I've had very poor luck with this, going as far as trying another one which had the same problems. The new Advanced VX mount isn't all that pricey (if you sell off your CG-5 you can probably get $400-500 and that's more than halfway there), and will probably perform quite a bit better.

2.) whether or not you upgrade your mount, with a C6 tube you have a focal length of 1500 for a focal ration of f/10. If you keep using this scope, get a focal reducer. The celestron f/6.3 focal reducer will give you a wider field of view as well as allow you to take shorter exposures. I have an 8" f/10 sct (my tube is a meade, but its not radically different from the C8), and the focal reducer makes a HUGE difference.

3.) consider imaging through the 80mm scope. I've also got an 80mm f/4 refractor. It gives me wider fields (great for M42, M31, the rosette, and lots more) and less effect from the mount's tracking.

4.) You should be able to easily mount the orion autoguider package and stay well within your weight limit. I've used the 50mm scope for guiding with an atik 16c, and its a good little scope once you get it dialed in. Someone suggested it might be good for imaging M31... haven't tried that yet, but its definitely a MUCH lighter package than celestron's 80mm guiding package.

Last piece of advice: listen to the people who've been doing this a while... the best advice I've gotten has been from a guy in my club who does professional-quality imaging. I'm still fairly new, still figuring out what works... but every time he gives me some advice, I find myself moving a step further forward. I'm not there yet... but i'm getting there.

Raginar
Postmaster

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
Re: AutoGuider Mount new [Re: HenryV1598]
      #5668562 - 02/08/13 09:24 AM

I made my mini-guider using the 50mm guider that came with my AT8IN. I was shocked at how easy it was to make happen with some basic supplies from Menards. So, if you have one laying around and feel 'handy' the directions are here: http://goo.gl/h7x2h

Here is an image I took last night using my 'finder-guider' with my ED80:

Yes, it's just mounted to the scope using the finder-shoe!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  nitegeezer, WOBentley, dr.who, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 559

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics