Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
BKBrown
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/23/09

Loc: Northern Virginia, USA
Re: T-Rex or Orion Atlas Pro AZ/EQ-G? new [Re: SteveE]
      #5715649 - 03/05/13 11:58 PM

Thanks Steve! The DSV-3 looks great and I might consider a lighter version in the future for my grab-and-go, but my quest took an unanticipated turn last week. The folks at Hands On Optics e-mailed to tell me that they would (unexpectedly in view of the earlier Orion announcement) be getting an Atlas Pro AZ/EQ-G by the weekend. So, despite having a T-Rex on order (due here on Friday) I ended up trading in my field Atlas for the new model. Soon I should be able to do some comparison testing of these two mounts which I will share here. Thanks again for the info

Clear Skies,
Brian

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Lane
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/19/07

Loc: Frisco, Texas
Re: T-Rex or Orion Atlas Pro AZ/EQ-G? new [Re: BKBrown]
      #5715745 - 03/06/13 01:48 AM Attachment (56 downloads)

Here is a picture I took of my homemade T-Rex motor mount bracket with a JMI motor attached. I replaced the M5-30mm bolts that hold the bracket to the mount with M5-35mm bolts. I also use several washers to keep the bracket from scratching the mount. The mount bracket contains slots not holes so to remove it or install it only takes about 1 minute. Just loosen the shaft collar with a hex wrench then loosen the two bolts on top about one full turn each and it slides off or on easily. I tested it and it will fit into the carrying case without removing the motors.

BKBrown
Post Laureate

Re: T-Rex or Orion Atlas Pro AZ/EQ-G? new [Re: Lane]
      #5716428 - 03/06/13 01:42 PM

Looks like a very straightforward Mk I mounting plate Lane, shouldn't be too hard for folks to get their hands around the concept. Thanks for the pix

Clear Skies,
Brian

Lane
Post Laureate

#5716692 - 03/06/13 03:44 PM

I sent this picture and several others to JMI along with the exact dimensions they will need. They might make the mounting plates for us, but I have not heard back from them yet. I will let you know if and when I do.

Lane
Post Laureate

#5726617 - 03/11/13 07:03 PM

I know a couple of you are interested so I thought I would post an update:

I have had no response to the emails and pictures I sent to JMI early last week, so I am not sure it they are just too busy right now or if they changed their minds again and aren't interested in making the motor mounts for the T-Rex.

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
      #5726814 - 03/11/13 08:38 PM

Quote:

I know a couple of you are interested so I thought I would post an update:

I have had no response to the emails and pictures I sent to JMI early last week, so I am not sure it they are just too busy right now or if they changed their minds again and aren't interested in making the motor mounts for the T-Rex.

They may be waiting for me at this point. I'm hoping to get a TNT in here soon and see what we can come up with for a retrofit and/or a system for new mounts.

Lane
Post Laureate

Re: T-Rex or Orion Atlas Pro AZ/EQ-G? new [Re: EFT]
      #5727147 - 03/11/13 11:40 PM

That sounds great. Maybe you can come up with something much better than mine.

I personally wish telescope makers would think about these things in advance. If the worm gear housing just had some kind of short post sticking out next to the shaft. Then the motor mounting could be nothing but a small adapter around the front of the motor shaft with a socket for that post. Then you could push on and pull off the motor and only have to tighten one shaft screw in the process. The post in socket would keep the motor from rotating and that is all the mount needs to do because the shaft collar holds the motor in place. It would look much cleaner and make switching from the motor to the handles a lot easier.

Kunama
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/22/12

#5749101 - 03/22/13 06:24 AM

Any news on the JMI motor kits, will 'Train & Track' come to fruition?

I just ordered a T-Rex today which will carry my Tak TSA120/SV F50W2 combo with Argo Navis DTC to come a little later.

EFT

Re: T-Rex or Orion Atlas Pro AZ/EQ-G? new [Re: Kunama]
      #5749427 - 03/22/13 10:40 AM

Quote:

Any news on the JMI motor kits, will 'Train & Track' come to fruition?

I have the TNT system now and will try to get to designing an appropriate attaching system as soon as possible.

Lane
Post Laureate

#5749747 - 03/22/13 01:39 PM

Thanks Ed, it would be nice if you can make it more compact than mine so it isn't as much of an eyesore on a beautiful mount.

The key thing in my mind is to make it easy to attach and remove. It would be nice if we could have some small socket plate that was permanently mounted to the bolts on the worm housing and then the motor mount would just click into the socket. This would also solve the problem of the motor being in the way of the saddle bolt, because you could mount the scope first and then attach the motor. That would also mean the motor could attach closer to the mount since it does not matter if it gets in the way of the saddle bolt. I only mounted it at the end of that shaft adapter (that comes with the flexicable) to keep the motor out of the way of the saddle bolt.

Whatever you come up with I will be buying it since I am sure it will look better than mine.

Thanks for taking an interest in this project.

EFT

#5749826 - 03/22/13 02:16 PM

Quote:

Thanks Ed, it would be nice if you can make it more compact than mine so it isn't as much of an eyesore on a beautiful mount.

The key thing in my mind is to make it easy to attach and remove. It would be nice if we could have some small socket plate that was permanently mounted to the bolts on the worm housing and then the motor mount would just click into the socket. This would also solve the problem of the motor being in the way of the saddle bolt, because you could mount the scope first and then attach the motor. That would also mean the motor could attach closer to the mount since it does not matter if it gets in the way of the saddle bolt. I only mounted it at the end of that shaft adapter (that comes with the flexicable) to keep the motor out of the way of the saddle bolt.

Whatever you come up with I will be buying it since I am sure it will look better than mine.

Thanks for taking an interest in this project.

I'm going to do my best to see what we can do to make it look good. That will probably be the toughest part.

BKBrown
Post Laureate

#5753447 - 03/24/13 09:29 AM Attachment (18 downloads)

Thanks for the effort Ed (and Lane!), I think it is worthwhile to take the time to make the mounting brackets blend in with the rest of the mount...it's a beautiful piece of gear. The slow motion controls are incredibly smooth and easy to use, but I think I will still need push button control for long hours in the cold so you can count me in for a set whenever they are ready.

Clear Skies,
Brian

Ryuno
sage

Reged: 05/09/13

Loc: Tokyo
      #6146960 - 10/19/13 04:04 PM

What happened to the JMI motor kits for the T-Rex? Are they going to make them or has the project been abandoned?

I am planning to buy a T-Rex and the only one thing makes me hesitate to do so is the lack of tracking. It would be so great if this could be added.
If JMI is not making a motor drive, I would certainly like to try to make one for myself. But how?

Heinz

Edited by Ryuno (10/19/13 04:33 PM)

EFT

Re: T-Rex or Orion Atlas Pro AZ/EQ-G? new [Re: Ryuno]
      #6147085 - 10/19/13 05:16 PM

Quote:

What happened to the JMI motor kits for the T-Rex? Are they going to make them or has the project been abandoned?

I am planning to buy a T-Rex and the only one thing makes me hesitate to do so is the lack of tracking. It would be so great if this could be added.
If JMI is not making a motor drive, I would certainly like to try to make one for myself. But how?

Heinz

We will actually have a new goto kit for the T-REX made by Avalon at ASAE next month.

Ryuno
sage

#6147120 - 10/19/13 05:27 PM

Thank you, Ed. Sounds great.
I found the Avalon-website on the Internet but nothing about the kit you mentioned. Is there any information accessible at this time, such as images, description, specs, pricing?

Heinz

Edited by Ryuno (10/19/13 05:43 PM)

EFT

#6147158 - 10/19/13 05:44 PM

Quote:

Thank you, Ed. Sounds great.
I cannot find Avalon on the Internet. Is there any information accessible at this time, such as images, description, specs, pricing?

Heinz

Avalon will be producing the kit and it will likely be available through Kokusai Kohki. We don't have the price established yet and there probably will not be anything specific on the websites until after November, but the controller will be displayed in a ad for the Avalon M-zero mount in the next Astronomy Technology Today, since it will use the same controller. You can find the Avalon website and M-zero here: Avalon Instruments.

Ryuno
sage

#6147194 - 10/19/13 06:01 PM

Thank you again, Ed. I found the website. Avalon's mounts look wonderful, but seem to be clearly on the pricey side. I understand you don't know the actual sales price of the Goto Kit, but maybe you could give me a hint about the order of magnitude the price will be in, so I have some idea about the kind of future investment I have to expect, if I buy the T-Rex. For instance: Significantly under 1000$, around 1000$, or significantly above 1000$.(The latter two would probably be too much for me.)

Best regards
Heinz

EFT

#6147238 - 10/19/13 06:33 PM

Quote:

Thank you again, Ed. I found the website. Avalon's mounts look wonderful, but seem to be clearly on the pricey side. I understand you don't know the actual sales price of the Goto Kit, but maybe you could give me a hint about the order of magnitude the price will be in, so I have some idea about the kind of future investment I have to expect, if I buy the T-Rex. For instance: Significantly under 1000$, around 1000$, or significantly above 1000$.(The latter two would probably be too much for me.)

Best regards
Heinz

Probably around $1100, but it will be full goto, not just tracking. Since they are also making the motor attachment, it may be possible to get those for use with a less expensive, non-goto, tracking system as well.

Ryuno
sage

#6147272 - 10/19/13 07:00 PM

Thank you, this is very interesting. I think I'll definitely get the T-Rex. Looking forward to it.
Have nice Sunday (here in Japan it is Sunday morning and I am off to work.

Heinz

BKBrown
Post Laureate

#6147608 - 10/19/13 11:07 PM

Interesting news Ed, I'll be looking for the announcements and info. Thanks!

Clear Skies,
Brian

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
14 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5639

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics