Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoviewers

Pages: 1
chrisg
sage

Reged: 02/15/09

Zeiss 16X/16 eyepiece? new
      #5661540 - 02/04/13 11:09 AM

Been loving my Zeiss PL 10x/18 microscope eyepieces for binoviewing. Truly incredible contrast/color. Now curious about other Zeiss options such as the W16x/16. I haven't seen too much discussion about these lenses, does anyone here have extensive experience with these?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
suburbanskies
sage

Reged: 12/18/04

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Re: Zeiss 16X/16 eyepiece? new [Re: chrisg]
      #5662407 - 02/04/13 08:10 PM

I've used them enough to know that you really need a slow f-ratio. At f/9, half of the field isn't useable in my opinion. At f/11, things are much improved but not great. No surprise - these are microscope eyepieces designed for very slow systems.

Mark

chrisg
sage

Re: Zeiss 16X/16 eyepiece? [Re: suburbanskies]
      #5662604 - 02/04/13 10:19 PM

Thanks Mark. Just so I'm clear, are you referring to the W16x/16 that you found unusable? Was this an older or newer version?

suburbanskies
sage

#5664184 - 02/05/13 07:10 PM

Chris, they are the newest ones. I tried these out last summer. To be clear, they are useable at f/11 but I was hoping for slightly better edge of field performance.

My main goal when I purchased them was to use them for planetary viewing binoviewed. For planets, the edge of field doesn't matter. However, I ran into some unexpected glare issues on Mars. The previous owner had no glare issues, so it might just be due to my setup or my eyes.

In all other respects, these were awesome. I really wished they had worked out!

By the way, I have a pair of Zeiss 25mm aspheric microscope eps and they are my most frequently used eps. Probably paid too much for used eps, but they have been worth it.

chrisg
sage

Re: Zeiss 16X/16 eyepiece? new [Re: suburbanskies]
      #5665868 - 02/06/13 07:14 PM

Interesting - Would you say that edge performance of your Zeiss 16x was worse than your 25mm Zeiss? Which 25mm Zeiss are you using? PL10x/18?
Aside from edge performance, glare, and typical differences associated with focal length, how would you compare other performance parameters?

suburbanskies
sage

#5666017 - 02/06/13 09:10 PM

Chris, I have a pair of 44 31 41 PL10x/18 eyepieces. Other performance parameters were the same, if I trust my memory.

Build-wise, the 16x is definitely better (they are metal, not like the light, plastic housing of the 10x) and they have built-in diopter adjustment.

It's too bad it didn't work out. I have to admit I did not spend a lot of time comparing center of the field performance because the glare problem made me make a quick, definite decision.

I'm not sure what you intend to use these for, but if you are mostly planetary, it might be worth to try out for yourself. Eyepieces tend to be individualistic.

Also, at least two other frequent posters on CN have used these eps. Maybe they will share their experiences?

Mark

Pages: 1

Extra information
3 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TG, Geo557 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 569

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics