Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> DSLR & Digital Camera Astro Imaging & Processing

Pages: 1
Tom and Beth
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/08/07

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Yet another Orion's Belt new
      #5663764 - 02/05/13 03:21 PM Attachment (26 downloads)

Acquisition is a breeze using BYEOS, but processing? (sigh)

Anyway, submitted for constructive critism is my attempt using
Canon 450D Unmodified
Canon 200 2.8L
10 shots each of 1/2, 5 and 15 seconds
20 shots at 30 seconds
ISO 800 for all
I also had 5 darks# 30 seconds but I don't know if I implemented them correctly.

Registax and a PS were used to align, sharpen and very light levels

Link http://astrob.in/31860/

Edited by Tom and Beth (02/05/13 03:27 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
CA Stargazer

Reged: 01/27/12

Loc: Milpitas, California
Re: Yet another Orion's Belt new [Re: Tom and Beth]
      #5663780 - 02/05/13 03:28 PM

Nice wide field.
Have you tried feeding your shots into DeepSkyStacker? It's FREE and takes a lot of the manual effort out of stacking and alignment.
Then use PS for processing.

Tom and Beth
Post Laureate

Re: Yet another Orion's Belt [Re: CA Stargazer]
      #5663790 - 02/05/13 03:36 PM

Thank you for your comments.

I have tried DSS, and not sure what I was doing wrong but was going to try again with another computer. So far I've only been able to stack with JPGs.

srosenfraz
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/06/11

Loc: United States
      #5664076 - 02/05/13 06:00 PM

Good start, Tom and Beth. One thing you'll want to consider is that just about any mount can keep the short 200mm focal length of your lens tracking accurately for at least a minute and probably several minutes. As such, you may want to try increasing your sub length to a minute or so.

Also, the only value to capturing multiple length subs is if you're going to do an HDR combination (where you use layers and masks to combine the different length subs). This isn't something you're likely to do at this stage of your learning curve. In fact, if you simply stack a bunch of 1/2 second subs with a bunch of 30 second subs without any adjustment (i.e., even weight), you'll have an image that is significantly worse than if you just stacked the 30 second subs alone.

So, make things simple for yourself and concentrate on capturing a bunch of subs of the same length (and skip the 1/2, 5, 15, etc. lengths). Then, take 20 to 30 darks (its only going to take you 20 to 30 minutes), another 20 to 30 bias frames (that'll take about 2 minutes), and (ideally), about 20 to 30 flats (skip this for now if the process might be a bit overwhelming - your lens has pretty tolerable vignetting at f/2.8, and hopefully you won't have any enormous dust motes).

Next, spend a great deal of time with DSS (or some other app designed to calibrate, align, and stack your images), and figure out how to properly make a good combined image. At this point, you'll be ready to start tackling the next monster - the processing beast.

When you're ready to for that part of the learning curve, I recommend you join the DSLR Astro Image Processing Yahoo Group. Then, go to the Files section and look for the file entitled "Challenge Links". In that file, there's links to several walkthrough videos (look for the URLs to the "walkthroughs"). They're each about 1/2 hour, and Neil does a great job of showing his excellent and straightforward workflow for doing this. Its a great place for beginning processors to learn a lot very quickly.

Also, you can produce nice images with Jpegs, but you're going to hit a processing wall fairly quickly. You're going to be disappointed with raws when you first look at them out of the camera because they'll be very dark. But, you'll quickly be able to learn how to stretch the images easily in Photoshop and start pumping out some top notch images.

Good luck with the adventure....

Tom and Beth
Post Laureate

Re: Yet another Orion's Belt new [Re: srosenfraz]
      #5664126 - 02/05/13 06:30 PM Attachment (8 downloads)

Thank you for your comments.

With a more robust computer I was able to load all the RAW including the few darks into DSS, with this result (M42's center is still blown out..) What a difference a more modern computer brings to the ability to process the data!

http://astrob.in/31876/

I really appreciate your advice on what to concentrate on NOW as far as piccture lengths, and especially on assembling the Dark, Flat and Bias files.

Thanks again to you and CA Stargazer for the tips.

NeilMac
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/25/10

Loc: MedHat, AB, Canada
      #5664209 - 02/05/13 07:27 PM

nice !

Pages: 1

Extra information
12 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, WOBentley, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 325

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics