Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Refractors

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF new [Re: JJK]
      #5661396 - 02/04/13 09:52 AM

I have dearly enjoyed the views is my little AP 130 EDFGT I waited 9 years for. I have only seen the AP 175 when Roland had it on display at NEAF and at ASAE. He wasn't giving out views at either event- NEAF due to a history of lousy seeing (which Markus was unfortunately able to verify) and at ASAE they had a compressed schedule. He claimed it had better color correction than the current 130, which is quite a claim.

My old Ford Bronco was going to go to help fund it if I had been picked up on the lottery.

Thank you for reporting on viewing with it. It is good to see it has an owner who supports AP's vision such instruments need to get used.

As for observing in the Keys, Marathon, half way down the string, has seemed to me to be a really good place for a star party. Key West is very touristy in comparison. And Marathon is a much shorter drive.

-Rich

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Paul G
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/08/03

Loc: Freedonia
Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5661407 - 02/04/13 09:58 AM

Quote:

You think so, eh?

I'll try and get you a shot of an Astro-Physics 206mm in action. There will be one in these parts shortly. The 175mm looks big enough. I can only imagine how huge the 206mm will be.

Even the 175mm, though, is too big for routine travel, IMO. Love these big scopes, but over 6" for me begs for a permanent installation - or a kayak rack on top of the car and missle nose-cone shaped dust caps.

One day I'll have an observatory...*sigh* Until then, I'll admire folks with more gumption than I have for transporting truly large refractors.

Regards,

Jim

The 175 fits in my wife's SUV without any problems, but it is the largest scope I would feel comfortable setting up by myself.

Paul Hyndman
sage

Reged: 07/13/04

Loc: Connecticut Shoreline USA
Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF new [Re: Paul G]
      #5661591 - 02/04/13 11:38 AM Attachment (113 downloads)

Quote:

... One day I'll have an observatory...*sigh*

Jim,

For years, this had been the basis of my "observatory", though eventually "upgraded" with a canvas sailcloth covering in lieu of Hefty Bags... oh the ignominy!

Though now more able to acquire heavy-weight gear, I'm increasingly less enthusiastic to schlep it around.

Paul

Bill Barlow
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/03/07

Loc: Overland Park KS
Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF new [Re: crazyqban]
      #5661893 - 02/04/13 02:23 PM

Sergio and Mike,

Thanks for the helpful information. Maybe some day I will get to come down to the WSP..probably after I retire in about 4 years.

Bill

peleuba
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/01/04

Loc: Southern PA
Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF [Re: Paul G]
      #5663792 - 02/05/13 03:37 PM

Quote:

:

The 175 fits in my wife's SUV without any problems, but it is the largest scope I would feel comfortable setting up by myself.

Why on Earth set it up by yourself?! I could be in your neck of the woods in a couple of hours to help you set the scope and mount up! I'd probably buy dinner, too.

Scott99
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/10/07

Loc: New England
Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF new [Re: peleuba]
      #5664239 - 02/05/13 07:49 PM

Nice photos guys, thanks for posting, always enjoy hearing about the views through one of these beauties. I am also 100% visual, the longer focal ratio of the AP 160 and 175's are great for us.

Sergio I'm glad to see that your friend knows how to dress for Astro-Physics viewing - I know I always go with AT LEAST business casual for my sessions

M13 Observer
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/09/06

#5665187 - 02/06/13 12:48 PM

Any serial numbers of these latest 175 OTA's? Anyone know for sure if the production is complete?

Just wondering.

mgwhittle
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/24/11

Loc: Chattanooga, TN
Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF new [Re: M13 Observer]
      #5665198 - 02/06/13 12:52 PM

Production is not complete, there are still some waiting on theirs.

Joe C
sage

Reged: 11/29/08

Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF new [Re: mgwhittle]
      #5665357 - 02/06/13 02:09 PM

I can confirm that production has not been completed. It will be at least a few more weeks.

Dwight56

Reged: 04/17/10

Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF new [Re: Joe C]
      #5688638 - 02/19/13 10:45 AM

Looks like 5 more AP 175's are being delivered over the original allotment. I hope to see pictures and stories soon an CN

aztrodog

Reged: 09/06/10

Loc: South Florida
Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF new [Re: Dwight56]
      #5743500 - 03/19/13 05:20 PM Attachment (118 downloads)

Hello,

Love the AP175, hate moving its bulky case around. Here is my solution in case anybody is interested:

- Two Penn-Elcom W8375K outriggers about $40 shipped.

Happy to report that after a few weeks of usage it works extremely well.

Regards,

Angel

aztrodog

Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF new [Re: aztrodog]
      #5743506 - 03/19/13 05:25 PM Attachment (102 downloads)

Here is another photo.

Angel

Paul G
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/08/03

Loc: Freedonia
Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF new [Re: aztrodog]
      #5743538 - 03/19/13 05:41 PM

Great idea. The case is a beast for one person.

Joe C
sage

Reged: 11/29/08

Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF new [Re: Paul G]
      #5743678 - 03/19/13 06:35 PM

Thanks for posting Angel. I just ordered a set. They should be here about the same time my 175 arrives. I was not looking forward to lugging the case and scope by myself.

johnnyha
Postmaster

Reged: 11/12/06

Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA
Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF new [Re: Joe C]
      #5743811 - 03/19/13 07:20 PM

Very nice! I wonder if there is something similar but a bit larger for a dob. With those I could just tilt the whole scope up and go without having to attach wheelbarrow handles with huge tires.

Here's a $12.72 version with roller blade wheels btw...

aztrodog

Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF new [Re: johnnyha]
      #5743969 - 03/19/13 08:47 PM

Johnny - Those are it, $12.72 x 2 + $13.44 shipping to Florida. I did look for something a little larger, but came up empty.

Joe - Congratulations on your scope and looking forward to a first light report. Now that the mobility issue as been resolved I really don't see myself using any of my other scopes. As others have mentioned before, this scope really shows you what it can do when you feed it a nice dark sky. I took the scope out to the Florida Everglades with my observing pals Sergio and Maykel. Sergio has a superb 16" Zambuto dob and while there is no substitute for aperture I was quite surprised (aside from image scale) at how well the 7" refractor kept up with the dob on most objects. From my urban backyard double stars, planets and deep sky via video imaging are a joy night after night, despite some sessions with less than optimal seeing conditions. I doubt there will be many of these coming up for sale unless it involves some kind of financial distress. It truly is a very special telescope and one that years from now (has to earn its stripes ) will dovetail nicely into my collection of venerable antique telescopes.

When you get ready to mount the wheels you will have to pull the two corner protectors. No big deal, just pull them out slowly to prevent damage to the vinyl covering. Once you get the wheels you will see why, but I flipped the bolt that holds the tire in place. I used liquid nails between the wheels and the case. Just wanted to make sure these were never coming off. Wood screws sizes #8 x 1/2" and #8 x 5/8" were used depending on proximity of their placement relative to the OTA. However, neither screw size penetrated the box all the way. I made the decision to put the wheels on the lens side. This just happens to work better for me given where I store the scope. If you have any reservations about the screws penetrating the case stick the wheels on the focuser side of the case.

Clear skies,

Angel

mgwhittle
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/24/11

Loc: Chattanooga, TN
Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF [Re: aztrodog]
      #5744095 - 03/19/13 09:56 PM

Angel, great to hear you are enjoying that 175! And thanks for posting this solution and the mounting tips. I am ordering a set of these tonight.

mark8888
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/24/10

Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF [Re: mgwhittle]
      #5744290 - 03/20/13 12:54 AM

Quote:

Joe - Congratulations on your scope and looking forward to a first light report. Now that the mobility issue as been resolved I really don't see myself using any of my other scopes. As others have mentioned before, this scope really shows you what it can do when you feed it a nice dark sky. I took the scope out to the Florida Everglades with my observing pals Sergio and Maykel. Sergio has a superb 16" Zambuto dob and while there is no substitute for aperture I was quite surprised (aside from image scale) at how well the 7" refractor kept up with the dob on most objects. From my urban backyard double stars, planets and deep sky via video imaging are a joy night after night, despite some sessions with less than optimal seeing conditions. I doubt there will be many of these coming up for sale unless it involves some kind of financial distress. It truly is a very special telescope and one that years from now (has to earn its stripes ) will dovetail nicely into my collection of venerable antique telescopes.

Thanks for the cool report. FWIW reports about this scope and other big refractors are always interesting and great to read, including how they compare to dobs!!

Out of curiousity, how was the sharpness of the image compared to the Zambuto? How about the overall, uh, "gorgeousness" of the image in comparison? (I assume the Zambuto was better/much better on contrast...)

crazyqban
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/16/08

Loc: Miami, Florida
Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF [Re: mark8888]
      #5744366 - 03/20/13 02:06 AM

Angel, welcome to Cloudy Night buddy. It was about time!!!

aztrodog

#5745392 - 03/20/13 03:26 PM

Of course the AP KILLED the Zambuto in all objects!

Kidding aside, comparing two very different scopes on any given night is meaningless. Refractors yield very high contrast images which is what allowed it to do as well as it did. For instance we looked at M1 and it was very close (aside from image scale) to the Zambuto. M81 and M82 was gorgeous in the same field of an 31 Nagler. 50 feet away the Zambuto was showing awesome detail in the core of M82 due to its larger aperture. Sergio's scope also gave us great views of the Horsehead and Thor's helmet.

I would not rank one scope as better than the other, just a different visual experience. I'm just thankful for the great privilege to hang out with Sergio and Maykel enjoying the views provided by these great instruments.

Sergio - I hear you, but hanging out here takes time away from other stuff. So, doubt I can devote too much time to the forums. Hey, now that I have wheels on the AP we can have a telescope race like the bed races in Coconut Grove.

Clear skies,

Angel

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
19 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Scott in NC, FirstSight, panhard, star drop 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8710

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics