Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Refractors

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Kent10
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/08/12

Re: Oil on bottom of my TEC 160FL Objective new [Re: suburbanskies]
      #5665261 - 02/06/13 01:26 PM

At least the bottom of the objective has no dust so I do use the blower anyway but I think the chances of scratching are very minimal. I should be able to clean it quite easily. I have been cleaning camera lenses for years though I am not as particular about those as I will be with the Tec. My concern though is if there should be oil along the edge. That is where I saw the oil streak that at first looked like it could be a scratch. But in wiping it and getting close to the edge I think I got oil on the cloth and this is why it spread to most of the surface as I kept wiping trying to get it clear. It didn't look so bad until I put the objective on and shined a light down. You could see the obvious smear marks then. But with the oil along the edge I wonder if it is leaking or if this is normal for an oiled lens. That I don't know.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
blueman
Photon Catcher

Reged: 07/20/07

Loc: California
Re: Oil on bottom of my TEC 160FL Objective new [Re: t.r.]
      #5665268 - 02/06/13 01:28 PM

I use my TEC140 in temps 12-25f all the time and never had an issue.
Sounds like you could have had a fogging of the lens, inner side is also possible not just outside.
Floyd
Quote:

I refuse to use my oil-spaced in temperatures below 0*C/32*F any longer after I had an issue with my TEC 140. It was around 20*F,maybe a little less, after several hours of viewing, I noticed the view getting hazey. Figuring the lens was finally, fogged up, I took a look at it with the flash light. The center of the lens displayed a three- dimensional, golf ball sized, ball of...I don't know what. It looked like a globular cluster really. I assumed it couldn't be good as it was internal between the lens elements and not on the inner or outer surface only. I take the usual steps to prevent thermal shock, and brought it in. By the next morning thankfully, it was gone, no leaks, no sleeks, no issue. I contacted Yuri and he really didn't know. Perhaps, he said, seperation of the elements with freezing or aeration of the oil. I could send it back, or simply watch out for it. Future use showed no ill-effect, so I simply used it, but NEVER at that temperature again.

My newer AP has never been out in it...I simply refuse and have other scopes for the colder months. I'm aware that Mike has an 8" in Alaska, but there is a difference with it...he leaves it in an observatory. It isn't going in and out like most of us have to do. These incidents are rare, but do occur enough that I think it warrants a public service announcement. YMMV, but for me, in my locale which is known for snow and extreme cold that rivals other locations, I won't take a chance again.

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Oil on bottom of my TEC 160FL Objective new [Re: blueman]
      #5665293 - 02/06/13 01:40 PM

Nope, not it.

TG
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/02/06

Loc: Latitude 47
Re: Oil on bottom of my TEC 160FL Objective new [Re: Kent10]
      #5665355 - 02/06/13 02:08 PM

Quote:

Some of you will remember my post about getting frost inside the objective of my Tec 160FL. Yuri wasn't sure that is was frost or an oil leak so I sent the objective to him and as it turns out it was frost and by the time it got to him it had melted. So he sent it back to me as is.

I got my objective back tonight and saw what looked like a possible 1 inch long scratch on the bottom of the objective so I took a new micro fiber cloth to see what it was. I think it was oil residue but I am not sure. It wasn't a scratch but from trying to get it off I made it worse and I spread it across the lens as I was trying to clean it. Now there is a slight haze as you look at it with a light.

Should I now use the standard methods of liquid that have been recommended on the site to clean it trying to get rid of the haze. I know there are many different liquids that people use and everyone has their favorite. Any best one for oil? I have the Kodak papers that I use for my camera lenses and I have read some use plain non-perfumed Kleenex. Is there any best material I should use? Can I use new micro fiber cloths. I have quite a few of those.

Thanks for your advice. Kent

I use this to clean my A-P: Purosol with unscented Kleenex to do the initial cleaning. This leaves streaks and paper fibers. The fibers are blown off with a bulb blower. The streaks are cleaned with a lint-free lens tissue *dampened* in acetone. The lens looks factory fresh after this. Hardware store acetone works fine. If you don't have Purosol, isopropyl (70% with a small drop of dish soap added) works as well.

Be careful with acetone. It dissolves paint instantly so make sure only dampened tissues are used on the lens keeping them away from any painted/plastic parts.

Tanveer.

Kent10
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Oil on bottom of my TEC 160FL Objective new [Re: TG]
      #5665589 - 02/06/13 04:15 PM

Tough decision but after a little more research I decided to go with the Eclipse fluid and Pec Pads. If it leaves any residue I can wipe with my new micro fiber cloths. The Dr. Clay kit looks good too and I read lots of good things about Purosol. Of course AP uses it. But I had to choose one and thought I would give the Eclipse a try. Thanks.

Binojunky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/25/10

#5665632 - 02/06/13 04:42 PM

I,m rather interested to know how old this scope is, if its a fairly new instrument isn,t this a sad state of affairs?, even with a year or two under its belt are the advantages of an oil spaced objective worth the hassle of a problem like this over a air spaced doublet?? jmtcw,DA.

Edited by Binojunky (02/06/13 04:44 PM)

Kent10
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Oil on bottom of my TEC 160FL Objective new [Re: Binojunky]
      #5665637 - 02/06/13 04:45 PM

It is a newish scope. I bought it second hand in July of 2012 and I believe it was made in Dec. 2011. It was the last Tec 160FL made.

Goodchild
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/31/08

#5665699 - 02/06/13 05:24 PM

I would be contacting Yuri and not mess with it myself.

JJK
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/28/08

Re: Oil on bottom of my TEC 160FL Objective new [Re: Cliff C]
      #5665702 - 02/06/13 05:28 PM

Quote:

TR,
I have had my AP-130GT out lately in the upper teens and low 20's with no problems. The scope is kept in its case and in my unheated garage so that there is little more than 10-15 degree farenheit temp difference. Below that temp. I give out, not the scope.
That said, I won't use the AP's at the peak of pollen season, on very windy nights or any time there is a salty breeze coming in from the ocean.
Cliff

Baader sells a clear film that could protect the objective when pollen or salt is in the air.

mikey cee
Postmaster

Reged: 01/18/07

Loc: bellevue ne.
Re: Oil on bottom of my TEC 160FL Objective new [Re: mmalik]
      #5665839 - 02/06/13 06:51 PM

Quote:

With all the oil related stories, is it just me that thinks oil spaced design is becoming a liability?

Maybe a needed upgrade to an all season Slick 50! Mike

mark8888
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/24/10

Re: Oil on bottom of my TEC 160FL Objective new [Re: mikey cee]
      #5665922 - 02/06/13 07:47 PM

FWIW, I have had a TEC refractor shipped by air twice across the world on 10+ hour flights, no problems whatsoever. Scope and objective in perfect condition.

teelgul
sage

Reged: 09/02/11

Loc: Australia
      #5666027 - 02/06/13 09:16 PM

an oil leak if at all, will it be visible fluid? yuri says its only a few micron thick film, under surface tension sealed by a special seal.
The objective will have a patchy ,delaminated look if it leaks due to air and fluid spaces. web page

suburbanskies
sage

Reged: 12/18/04

Loc: New Jersey, USA
      #5666042 - 02/06/13 09:24 PM

Quote:

I have been cleaning camera lenses for years though I am not as particular about those as I will be with the Tec. My concern though is if there should be oil along the edge. That is where I saw the oil streak that at first looked like it could be a scratch. But in wiping it and getting close to the edge I think I got oil on the cloth and this is why it spread to most of the surface as I kept wiping trying to get it clear. It didn't look so bad until I put the objective on and shined a light down. You could see the obvious smear marks then. But with the oil along the edge I wonder if it is leaking or if this is normal for an oiled lens. That I don't know.

Kent, if you are comfortable with cleaning camera lenses then all is well. I'm sure you'll do fine. The coatings are very similar in durability. And as you know as a photographer, it would take a pretty major oil stain before you could detect an effect on the image! Nothing to really worry about.

I have no clues where the oil came from. Could be from a number of sources and I wouldn't automatically assume it came from an "oiled" (it's not oil, it's a gel) objective.

Sometimes I do wonder if these issues are worth thinking about at all. They certainly cause a lot of worry and detract from your enjoyment of a fine scope!

I recently cleaned a larger TEC objective and left lots of stains on the lens. Hey, it was cold and I had no patience. Frankly, I see no difference in performance.

Mark

MrGrytt
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/28/05

Loc: Upstate New York
      #5666347 - 02/07/13 01:08 AM

I have a lot of fancy cleaning agents and kits, including the kit that Astro-Physics can no longer sell.

I have found that the stuff below also works very well and is quite safe and simple to use.
Thomas Back recommended it to me long ago and said it was good stuff. He usually used acetone but said that this stuff did a great job most of the time.

http://tinyurl.com/azbrn7b

They also offer a complete kit that includes it.

http://tinyurl.com/adtrrfz

Harvey

Kent10
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Oil on bottom of my TEC 160FL Objective new [Re: MrGrytt]
      #5666354 - 02/07/13 01:15 AM

Thanks Harvey for the recommendations. I haven't seen that one mentioned before. I already ordered Eclipse so I am going to try that but I also just ordered some OPTO-WIPES which is supposedly what Roland of AP uses. They are more absorbent than the Pec Pads which I also ordered. Some said the Pec Pads just moved the oil around because it doesn't absorb so I thought I would try both.

blueman
Photon Catcher

Reged: 07/20/07

Loc: California
      #5666364 - 02/07/13 01:26 AM

I use both Opto-Wipes and Pec Pads. The Opto-Wipes will polish off a sheen or other things without scratching. I bought a package of 800 for about $15-18 after Roland told me about them. Been using them for years. They absorb moisture where the Pec Pads really do not.
I use the Arkansas Observatory cleanin fluid.I make it according to their ingredients.
Floyd
Quote:

Thanks Harvey for the recommendations. I haven't seen that one mentioned before. I already ordered Eclipse so I am going to try that but I also just ordered some OPTO-WIPES which is supposedly what Roland of AP uses. They are more absorbent than the Pec Pads which I also ordered. Some said the Pec Pads just moved the oil around because it doesn't absorb so I thought I would try both.

teelgul
sage

Reged: 09/02/11

Loc: Australia
      #5666399 - 02/07/13 02:28 AM

hello Kent
there are a lot of choices but some time the simplest is the best and least confusing. the Televue advice on cleaning is very informative, simple and effective. all modern coatings are so good that swarovski just asks us to blow off the particles dust if any, fog it and run a microfibre.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: Oil on bottom of my TEC 160FL Objective new [Re: Binojunky]
      #5666897 - 02/07/13 11:24 AM

The advantage of an oil spaced triplet over an air spaced one is production cost. There are only two surfaces to coat and not six, and there are fewer potential issues with spacing, centering and the like. You can buy a 140mm premium oiled triplet for $5500. That's less than you pay for an air-spaced premium 130mm scope like a TOA-130. Oil-spacing allows the manufacturer to deliver a top quality figure and avoid collimation and centering problems at a superior (i.e., lower) price compared to a comparable air-spaced scope.

There is no free lunch. Oil spacing limits somewhat the designer's freedom and the potential correction of the optic, and in rare cases (TEC sells more than one hundred 140mm scopes a year; more than Televue sells NP-101s for reference) the lens may need service related to the oil spacing medium. It's also worth noting that it's a heck of a lot easier to disassemble and re-oil an oil spaced objective than it is to adjust spacing and/or recenter most air-spaced triplet objectives.

I think Yuri would do himself a huge favor if he would post a pictorial guide on TEC's website showing how the TEC optical group is oiled, assembled and mounted in its cell. It might help alleviate some of the superstition about oil-spaced objectives.

Regards,

Jim

Yu Gu

Reged: 06/18/06

Re: Oil on bottom of my TEC 160FL Objective new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5667033 - 02/07/13 12:47 PM

Well said! Other advantages of oil spaced lenses are low scatter, quicker cool down time, and less chance of getting a pinched optics. I always think TEC makes excellent engineering choices in their designs.

Mike Clemens
Frozen to Eyepiece

Reged: 11/26/05

Loc: Alaska, USA
Re: Oil on bottom of my TEC 160FL Objective new [Re: Yu Gu]
      #5667046 - 02/07/13 12:55 PM

A huge advantage to an oil spaced optic is the lack of coupling between the cell and the lens. The lens is a unit on its own just sitting in a little area, not attached to it in any way.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
19 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Scott in NC, FirstSight, panhard, star drop 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4595

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics