Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
carlstronomy
sage

Reged: 06/03/12

Loc: Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Celestron SCT Focus
      #5664684 - 02/06/13 06:11 AM

I have now had my telescope for just over six months and am starting to now get a grasp of this hobby. I have done a lot work to this old Ultima 9.25, rebuilt the internals of the mount which had been assembled wrong by a previous owner at some time, lose nuts floating around inside and a few other little things along the way. It is now giving me very nice 3-5 minute subs and when I build my pier mount I know it will give good 10 minute subs at least as I managed a 9 minute sub without perfect pollar alignment last week by luck.
The only issue I now have which is not terible but a pain is when I focus the object moves over in one direction. So each time I zoom in on an object I have to recenter it and I sometimes do lose the object. I have learnt to work around this but if there is a fix I would be interested in giving it a go as it would then complete this project completely and give me perfect scope to learn with.
I am not sure what causes this maybe the primary mirror is on a light angle or the front corrector plate is on a slight angle as that would the affect the secondary. I know it is not the collimation as even when this is spot on it still happens.
If anyone has any serious idea's then please share them or a link it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Carl

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rguasto
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/18/10

Loc: Long Island, NY
Re: Celestron SCT Focus new [Re: carlstronomy]
      #5664691 - 02/06/13 06:25 AM

Hi Carl. What your experiencing is called image shift. This is present in all SCT - although newer models are greatly improved (my C6 has almost none). Mirror shift is inherent in the design since your moving the mirror to focus. Not sure what you can do. Others may have more insight.
-Rob

carlstronomy
sage

Re: Celestron SCT Focus new [Re: rguasto]
      #5664692 - 02/06/13 06:31 AM

Thanks Rob, thats cool like I said I have learnt to work with it. I really wanted to make sure it is not something I need to add to my restoration project.

Carl

Geo.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/01/08

Loc: Upstate NY
      #5664914 - 02/06/13 10:11 AM

The tolerances between the baffle tube and the primary carrier are in the 0.0001 vicinity, but that's enough to allow the carrier to rock on the baffle tube. The grease is there to lube the mechanism, but more importantly to limit the rocking. If you OTA hasn't had it's primary out for a relube it's time. Grease is basically soap and oil. The oil evaporates over time. Folks recommend Dow Corning high vacuum grease, which is a synthetic (silicone) high viscosity grease. Sawbuck an ounch on eBay.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Celestron SCT Focus new [Re: Geo.]
      #5664938 - 02/06/13 10:31 AM

Quote:

The tolerances between the baffle tube and the primary carrier are in the 0.0001 vicinity, but that's enough to allow the carrier to rock on the baffle tube. The grease is there to lube the mechanism, but more importantly to limit the rocking. If you OTA hasn't had it's primary out for a relube it's time. Grease is basically soap and oil. The oil evaporates over time. Folks recommend Dow Corning high vacuum grease, which is a synthetic (silicone) high viscosity grease. Sawbuck an ounch on eBay.

Lack of grease can be a problem with older OTAs, but be very cautious about regreasing. The grease on the baffle must be THIN. Too much and your problems escalate to focus drift. Too thick a layer and the mirror continues moving momentarily after you stop moving the focus control. NOT a good thing.

I have yet to have to regrease the baffle of my 1994 Ultima OTA.

rflinn68
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/09/12

Loc: Arkansas
Re: Celestron SCT Focus new [Re: rmollise]
      #5665044 - 02/06/13 11:34 AM

Quote:

Lack of grease can be a problem with older OTAs, but be very cautious about regreasing. The grease on the baffle must be THIN. Too much and your problems escalate to focus drift. Too thick a layer and the mirror continues moving momentarily after you stop moving the focus control. NOT a good thing.

I noticed that in my old Meade LX50 the last couple times out (focus drifting). It has never been opened up. Its been a struggle for me getting and keeping a good focus with that scope. I was also getting really bad focus shift so now I dont know if it needs greasing or not I have since made up one of these and I've been enjoying the scope a lot more. It seems to work very well.

rigel123
Postmaster

Reged: 06/29/09

Loc: SW Ohio
      #5665955 - 02/06/13 08:16 PM

I noticed this on my brother's Meade and I was told to rack the focuser all the way in and all the way out a few times to redistribute the grease. It really helped a lot to reduce the image shift

carlstronomy
sage

Re: Celestron SCT Focus new [Re: rigel123]
      #5666395 - 02/07/13 02:21 AM

Thanks everyone for your input, I have from all your comments decided that my scope is just fine and I will be doing nothing with it at this stage. It is just a slight case of image shift, my focus is always easy to achieve, nice and crisp and I get no drift. I can move my scope a good 40 degrees during a session and the focus stays good.

Again thanks everyone.

Pete-LH
sage

Reged: 03/25/09

Loc: Wilmington, DE
      #5666544 - 02/07/13 07:06 AM Attachment (15 downloads)

I think you have come to the correct conclusion, There are some other threads in this section but I could only find this one from my saved items;

Greasing

One solution is to use a separate focuser between the OTA and the visual back. In fact there is one for sale here in the classified by Zhummel. You can also do this with replacing the std focuser with a combined focuser/mirror lock. I think one is offered by Hutech but my mempory might be failing me on this. Then you focus with the SCT focuer, loch it and focus with the installed SCT focuser. I have not done this myself. Vixen offers the VMC200L (8") SCT which only has the SCT focuser between the OTA and visual back. I have been tempted to get one of these (Also does not have the corrector plate)

I tried the first part of the above and never really cared for it mainly due to slippage with heavy lenses in cold weather. A better focuser would probably manage this better.
I finally went with a Feathertouch microfocuser replacement of the standard focuser. This does not eliminate mirror shift but I find being able to make small adjustments when needed makes it more bearable.

I actually sold my C9.25 at one time but the person asked to return it due to the image shift described as 1 to 2 jupiter diameters at high magnification. This is probably unacceptable for most who do AP. But I am just a visual observer(Redundant?) and with time I have optimzed being able to collimate and to be more patient for temperature equilbration. I'm glad I did not sell it after all and have enjoyed it as my larger aperture telescope for several years now. The only reason I would sell it now is to downsize to just my C8 as I get older.

carlstronomy
sage

Re: Celestron SCT Focus new [Re: Pete-LH]
      #5666568 - 02/07/13 07:21 AM

Thanks Pete, the shift on this scope is sufficient to be a pain some times going up in mag on visual lenses I do have to keep moving the object back into the center. I just have to go up in stages not big jumps and I dont have a problem.
I can understand the person you sold the 9.25 to sending it back he probably had a small size ccd chip. When I first started out I used my DBK21 and I would zoom all the way up to a 9mm and could not find it once I swapped to the DBK21 I used to move backwards and forwards it used to drive me crazy.
Now I have upgraded to my 450d there is just no issue at all for ap the chip size is so large I have to miss by miles to not get it somewhere in the live view.
My main issue these days is just visual and I have learnt to work with it and really it does not bother me. If I still used my DBK more than what I do now I would probably have to do something about it.

Carl

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
      #5666581 - 02/07/13 07:36 AM

Yeah the DBK field is awesomely tiny. I'm thinking of mounting my TV ranger as a guide scope or get a flip mirror attachment coupling for the cam. It can be maddening. And at the focal lengths required for imaging its a super small field of view.

Pete

carlstronomy
sage

Re: Celestron SCT Focus new [Re: Pete-LH]
      #5666662 - 02/07/13 08:59 AM

Quote:

But I am just a visual observer(Redundant?)

Sorry could not disagree strongly enough, some nights I look at Jupiter with my 26mm eyepiece and the view is spectacular, I then put on my camera and take 1000 frames spend 20 minutes aligning, stacking, colour correcting still to find it looks worse that what I saw in my $50 eye piece and the surface detail is no where near as clear or colourful. Maybe not as good for deep space (you can still see M42 with the good old visual method) but anyone should still get the wow factor out of visual astronomy.

KerryR
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/05/07

Loc: SW Michigan
      #5667456 - 02/07/13 04:45 PM

I have a 2003 8" LX90 that I completely disassembled when I installed active venting.

When I reassembled, I was conservative with the grease. When I tested to ota on distant tree-tops, I found the mirror shift was enough to move the target right out of the fov with a 15mm eyepiece, and across most of the FOV of a 25mm ep, both plossl's.

I re-greased the baffle heavily, and removed the excess that was pushed out the rear of the carrier.

This dramaicaly reduced focus shifting. While shifting is still present, it's no longer enough to move the target out of the FOV with a 4mm ep.

Geo.
Carpal Tunnel

#5667477 - 02/07/13 04:57 PM

Well, it's true that high Xs will, err, magnify the problem. I think it's asking too much of the SCT system to think there will be NO image shift. At 260X (C9.25 w/9mm Plossl) the FOV is 11.5' and Jupiter is, say, 45" or 6.5% of the FOV. Guess that's about quater inch, which will take it off a 1/3" imager. In the day Meade sold a CCD framing eyepiece that made it possible to center an object on the imager. It had a reticule with the outlines of various sized imager FOVs.

carlstronomy
sage

#5668259 - 02/08/13 02:20 AM

George, you are correct (impossible to have no image shift) and I started this thread to try and gain some sort of knowledge of what it was that was causing my image to move, why, and how to fix it or if I even need to. From all the great feedback here I have come to these conclusions:

1. Its called image shift
2. All SCT's have it
3. You can never get rid of it
4. You will probably make things worse trying to get rid of it if you try!
5. It is not a fault or issue unless it makes your scope unusable.

All in all simply said and summed up, "do not ask to much of a simple telescope"

Carl

bilgebay
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/06/08

Loc: Turkiye - Istanbul and Marmari...
      #5668287 - 02/08/13 02:51 AM

If you come to focus by rotating the focus knob counter clockwise always it wont be necessary to recenter the object.

Geo.
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Celestron SCT Focus new [Re: bilgebay]
      #5668679 - 02/08/13 10:39 AM

I find that cats stored on their sides seem to have more shift than those stored upright and they say gravity is a weak force. The worst I've seen was a ETX125 Mak that would shift the entire FOV or about 50 acrmin! Even then running the focuser back and forth half a dozen times calmed it down to a couple of arcminutes.

DHurst

Reged: 03/10/06

#5669155 - 02/08/13 02:14 PM

I think adding a crayford focuser on the back of the scope will solve your problem. It will ad a bit of backfocus, but you won't be focusing by moving your mirror.

Edited by DHurst (02/08/13 02:29 PM)

gonzosc1
sage

Reged: 11/08/12

Loc: South Carolina
Re: Celestron SCT Focus new [Re: DHurst]
      #5669278 - 02/08/13 03:27 PM

have you tried running the mirror out in both directions a few times. helped to redistribute the grease on the baffle tube sometimes.

OLDTIMER77

Reged: 01/26/11

#5673940 - 02/11/13 12:11 PM

Hi Car,

To minimse the problems of 'mirror flop' on the Edge Ota's I take this step before slewing the 'scope.
Carefully screw in the two mirror knobs on the rear cell preventing the mirror from moving. Then after slewing to the required sky position gently release the two knobs before focusing on your sky objective.
Clear skies.
oldTimer

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
15 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1565

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics