Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Announcements and News >> Discussion of CN Articles, Reviews, and Reports

Pages: 1
Charlie HeinAdministrator
Postmaster

Reged: 11/02/03

Loc: 26.06.08N, +80.23.08W
Olivon Eyepiece Review new
      #5658078 - 02/02/13 12:48 PM

Olivon Eyepiece Review

By John Kramer

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ScottAz
Fleet Navigator

Reged: 02/06/05

Loc: Kenosha, Wisconsin
Re: Olivon Eyepiece Review new [Re: Charlie Hein]
      #5658211 - 02/02/13 01:53 PM

Thanks for taking the time to submit such a thoughtful review! Those High Definition eyepieces sound interesting and I'm glad to hear of their excellent performance across their whole focal range. Again ... Thanks and clear skies!

geminijk
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/03/08

Loc: TN
Re: Olivon Eyepiece Review new [Re: ScottAz]
      #5659249 - 02/03/13 01:30 AM

Thanks Scott!

John

mcoren
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/11/06

Loc: Virginia, USA
Re: Olivon Eyepiece Review new [Re: geminijk]
      #5659855 - 02/03/13 12:01 PM

John,

First, thank you for taking the time to evaluate these eyepieces and write up your impressions. A very interesting and thoughtful review!

Now a question: Do you know if any of these eyepieces are actually unique Olivion designs? Many of them look to me like rebranded versions of eyepieces available from Astro-Tech, GSO, Orion, etc. That's not bad if they are, because those eyepieces are generally solid performers at their price points, but is there anything different in the Olivion line that should stand out?

cjc
sage

Reged: 10/15/10

Loc: Derbyshire, England
Re: Olivon Eyepiece Review new [Re: mcoren]
      #5660230 - 02/03/13 03:49 PM

The Olivon High Definition 58 Degree FOV eyepieces look like TMB clones, identical to the Barsta 1.25"-58 degree wide angle eypiece and Sky-Watcher Planetary 58° UWA 1.25" Eyepieces and I think other than graphics to the TS Optics HR Planetary UWA - 60°.

Ed D
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/30/10

Loc: Sunny South Florida
Re: Olivon Eyepiece Review new [Re: cjc]
      #5660369 - 02/03/13 05:07 PM

Thanks for the great review written in an informative and easy to understand manner.

Ed D

Dr Morbius
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/06/07

Loc: ManorvilleNY-but not for long
Re: Olivon Eyepiece Review new [Re: Ed D]
      #5660374 - 02/03/13 05:09 PM

What kind of prices are we talking here?

geminijk
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/03/08

Loc: TN
Re: Olivon Eyepiece Review new [Re: Dr Morbius]
      #5662789 - 02/05/13 12:58 AM

Mike.......I don't know the design specifics or origen, if re-branded etc.

Ed....thanks!

Dr. Mordius.....$63 is the price I found for the HDs, the 80s are $74-$190, and the zooms about $269.

John

Edited by geminijk (02/05/13 12:58 AM)

David Knisely
Postmaster

Reged: 04/19/04

Loc: southeastern Nebraska
Re: Olivon Eyepiece Review new [Re: Charlie Hein]
      #5663961 - 02/05/13 05:08 PM

It sounds like some of their wider-field eyepieces are to be avoided. Decent wide-field performance should allow at least halfway point-like star images across at least 3/4ths of the field of view and the 20mm and 30mm 80 degree eyepieces don't (even at the f/10 of an SCT). One question I would have on the review is the use of the term "field curvature". That only refers to the situation where when focused on stars at the center of the field, the stars near the edge of the field are out of focus but still fairly symmetrical *and* where when focused to make the stars at the edge of the field look nice and sharp, the stars at the center of the field are out of focus. Large amounts of field curvature in modern eyepieces is rare, although smaller amounts can be seen in eyepieces like a few in the Pentax XW series. What is more often seen with eyepieces is off-axis astigmatism, where the stars in the outer parts of the field change shape as the focus is changed and never get very sharp. They can appear as seagulls, crosses, cones, oval blobs, or bar-like arcs which change shape when the focus is changed, while the stars at the center of the field can be focused sharply and symmetrically. This aberration is hard to get rid of even in some complex wide-field eyepieces, and I suspect that may be what is being reported here. Clear skies to you.

mattyfatz
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/27/06

Loc: Boise Idaho
Re: Olivon Eyepiece Review new [Re: David Knisely]
      #5664214 - 02/05/13 07:30 PM

ENOUGH SAID

mcoren
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/11/06

Loc: Virginia, USA
Re: Olivon Eyepiece Review new [Re: cjc]
      #5664414 - 02/05/13 10:10 PM

Quote:

The Olivon High Definition 58 Degree FOV eyepieces look like TMB clones, identical to the Barsta 1.25"-58 degree wide angle eypiece and Sky-Watcher Planetary 58° UWA 1.25" Eyepieces and I think other than graphics to the TS Optics HR Planetary UWA - 60°.

Agreed. That was the first thing I noticed that they looked like clones of the TMB Planetaries. The 80° 30mm also looks like the same one sold by 1rpd, Moonfish, etc.

eklf
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/12/07

Loc: Carrboro, NC
Re: Olivon Eyepiece Review [Re: mcoren]
      #5664747 - 02/06/13 07:47 AM

At one point I had a 13mm Olivon eyepiece called UWA. This series had 5, 8, 13, 17 and 21; just like Hyperion/Stratus. I assumed it was a clone. BUT, I found its performance excelled that of Hyperion/Stratus. In a head to head comparison with a 13mm Stratus that I also had at that time, I found the Olivon had better edge of field correction of astigmatism, and a Sharp field stop (unlike Stratus which had a fuzzy one). This latter part leads me to believe that the design was not a direct clone of hyperion/stratus, but probably tweaked and optimized.

DonMendoza

Reged: 01/23/12

Loc: Greensboro NC
Re: Olivon Eyepiece Review new [Re: eklf]
      #5825258 - 04/26/13 08:24 PM

I picked up a 5 mm HD for my 8" XT Classic at NEAF last weekend. So far, I've experienced good banding on Jupiter, crisp lunar detail and last night, for the first time, I noticed the Cassini Division on Saturn's rings. I have a Stratus 8mm, a 11 mm TV Plossl and 20 mm Orion Highlight Plossl. All in all, I feel I got real value for my money.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  droid 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3462

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics