Speciality Forums >> Astro Art, Books, Websites & Other Media

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
rockethead26
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/21/09

Loc: Arizona, USA
Rukl's Atlas of the Moon - Finally
      #5665283 - 02/06/13 01:37 PM

I've been looking for a nice copy of this book for a few years, but the prices always scared me away. Last week while looking on AbeBooks.com, I found one listed as very good from a 5-star seller for $47 shipped. I ordered it and it just arrived today.

Well, I scored on this 1996 printing as it is absolutely mint, jacket and book. The jacket even has a nice mylar cover. The timing is great as I just added the 21st Century atlas to my lunar collection. I'm looking forward to reading through this one.

It was a long wait, but worth it.

Edited by rockethead26 (02/06/13 01:38 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
swalker
Imaging Editor - Sky & Telescope

Reged: 01/22/07

Loc: 42.9225°N, 71.2242°W
Re: Rukl's Atlas of the Moon - Finally new [Re: rockethead26]
      #5665346 - 02/06/13 02:06 PM

Lots of blank areas in the libration maps in the 96 version.

rockethead26
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Rukl's Atlas of the Moon - Finally new [Re: swalker]
      #5665377 - 02/06/13 02:20 PM

Hi Sean

Not sure this will be a problem for me, but I was unaware of this fault in this edition. I'm not sure what you are referring to. There are 8 libration maps and they look fairly complete. Could you be more specific?

Of course, I love it when the first response to my new book post is that I bought the wrong version. Such is life!

Thanks,
Jim

Photobud

Reged: 01/07/13

#5665478 - 02/06/13 03:12 PM

Enjoy it! For a LONG discussion about the various editions, see this thread from 2011.

swalker
Imaging Editor - Sky & Telescope

Reged: 01/22/07

Loc: 42.9225°N, 71.2242°W
Re: Rukl's Atlas of the Moon - Finally new [Re: Photobud]
      #5665504 - 02/06/13 03:23 PM Attachment (42 downloads)

Ah, perhaps the one you have corrected that. The old edition I own (1990) has gaps in Libration Zones V and VI (page 186 and 187). It must have been filled in between then and the last version. Nothing wrong with it, mind you. I refer to whichever is at hand. I only discovered the discrepancy when plotting the monthly librations for Chuck Wood's column. Attached is a cell phone snapshot I just took of Zone VI, 1990.

Edited by swalker (02/06/13 03:38 PM)

rockethead26
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Rukl's Atlas of the Moon - Finally new [Re: swalker]
      #5665607 - 02/06/13 04:27 PM

Sean,

Thanks for the picture. Yes, those gaps are in my version as well. I saw that, but wasn't sure if that's what you were referring to. The gaps seem minor, regardless. I'll go read the thread that Photobud linked to to get a better understanding.

I probably will never be a serious student of the moon, so these minor omissions on areas that are difficult to see will never bother me.

Thanks again.

rockethead26
Carpal Tunnel

#5665674 - 02/06/13 05:11 PM

Quote:

Enjoy it! For a LONG discussion about the various editions, see this thread from 2011.

Thanks for the link. I remember reading that when it was current and made a mental note for when I was going to buy one. I guess my mental note faded away. I think if I had remembered that thread when I was contemplating this purchase, I would have made the buy anyway.

Other than nicer paper in the original and a few percent of the libration maps filled in on the S&T version and some text updates, they're pretty much the same. It's all about Rukl's drawings anyway.

Photobud

Reged: 01/07/13

#5665692 - 02/06/13 05:20 PM

Quote:

...It's all about Rukl's drawings anyway.

You've got that right!

rookie
Good Night Nurse

Reged: 01/14/06

Loc: St. Petersburg, FL
      #5665723 - 02/06/13 05:40 PM

Nice catch! Glad you finally have a nice copy.

desertstars

Reged: 11/05/03

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Re: Rukl's Atlas of the Moon - Finally new [Re: rookie]
      #5665802 - 02/06/13 06:28 PM

Congratulations, indeed! I had that edition almost permanently check out from the UofA library, until the more recent edition was brought out by S&T. It's still my most-used lunar observing resource.

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
      #5666067 - 02/06/13 09:34 PM

Quote:

The timing is great as I just added the 21st Century atlas to my lunar collection. I'm looking forward to reading through this one.

Just for fun: Take any chart from Rukl, and compare it to the same area shown in the 21st Century atlas, with its incredibly sharp images. Notice how dead-nuts accurate Rukl's drawings are, to the minutest detail!

turtle86
Pooh-Bah Everywhere Else

Reged: 10/09/06

#5666654 - 02/07/13 08:55 AM

Quote:

I've been looking for a nice copy of this book for a few years, but the prices always scared me away. Last week while looking on AbeBooks.com, I found one listed as very good from a 5-star seller for $47 shipped. I ordered it and it just arrived today.

Well, I scored on this 1996 printing as it is absolutely mint, jacket and book. The jacket even has a nice mylar cover. The timing is great as I just added the 21st Century atlas to my lunar collection. I'm looking forward to reading through this one.

It was a long wait, but worth it.

That's a great catch for $47 shipped, and a nice companion to the 21st Century Atlas of the Moon. As Rick says, it's fun to compare the two atlases on the same areas of the moon. Rukl's work is amazingly accurate.

GaryS
sage

Reged: 10/30/06

Re: Rukl's Atlas of the Moon - Finally new [Re: turtle86]
      #5666882 - 02/07/13 11:12 AM

Only the 2004 edition (the one I got to work with Tony Rukl on) has the "lunar icognita" filled in. This and a substantial re-working of the text were the main reasons for issuing a revised edition.

Gary

rockethead26
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Rukl's Atlas of the Moon - Finally new [Re: GaryS]
      #5667213 - 02/07/13 02:40 PM

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. I'll see if I can get lucky with an affordable copy of the 2004 edition in the future, Gary.

Rick and Rob,

I'm looking forward to getting some time to make the comparisons between Rukl and the 21st Century Atlas.

As have a lot of other observers, I have only spent a casual amount of time looking at our nearest neighbor, but that's going to change in 2013. I'm going to give the Lunar 100 a shot and it should make for some easy observing nights here in my red zone.

turtle86
Pooh-Bah Everywhere Else

#5667792 - 02/07/13 08:20 PM

Quote:

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. I'll see if I can get lucky with an affordable copy of the 2004 edition in the future, Gary.

Rick and Rob,

I'm looking forward to getting some time to make the comparisons between Rukl and the 21st Century Atlas.

As have a lot of other observers, I have only spent a casual amount of time looking at our nearest neighbor, but that's going to change in 2013. I'm going to give the Lunar 100 a shot and it should make for some easy observing nights here in my red zone.

Same here. I'm mostly a deep-sky observer, so I've only done casual lunar observing myself, but lately I've come to realize that I've been giving the moon short shrift over the years. Many pluses to lunar observing--no need to drive two hours to a dark site, so much detail that can be seen with even a small scope, and so on.

Scott in NC
Mad Hatter

Reged: 03/05/05

Loc: NC
Re: Rukl's Atlas of the Moon - Finally new [Re: turtle86]
      #5667868 - 02/07/13 09:09 PM

Great catch, Jim! Enjoy your new atlas. I have one of the older editions as well, and I really don't have any plans to "upgrade." I consider mine a keeper.

rockethead26
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Rukl's Atlas of the Moon - Finally new [Re: Scott in NC]
      #5667944 - 02/07/13 10:04 PM

Quote:

I have one of the older editions as well, and I really don't have any plans to "upgrade." I consider mine a keeper.

Mark9473
Postmaster

Reged: 07/21/05

Loc: 51N 4E
      #5672685 - 02/10/13 04:52 PM

For those interested, a new German-language edition was just recently released, see here.

pavlikva

Reged: 10/14/13

Re: Rukl's Atlas of the Moon - Finally new [Re: Mark9473]
      #6136739 - 10/14/13 11:42 AM

I have just one edit to Mark9473's post, the publishing house is called Aventinum and they remade the Atlas of the Moon three months ago in 5 languages (including Hungarian )
Here is the link http://www.aventinum.cz/eshop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=160

turtle86
Pooh-Bah Everywhere Else

Re: Rukl's Atlas of the Moon - Finally new [Re: pavlikva]
      #6137527 - 10/14/13 05:30 PM

Quote:

I have just one edit to Mark9473's post, the publishing house is called Aventinum and they remade the Atlas of the Moon three months ago in 5 languages (including Hungarian )
Here is the link http://www.aventinum.cz/eshop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=160

Looks like one of the languages is English, too!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Geo557, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2248

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics