Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Equipment

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
John Wunderlin
Vendor - Spike-a Focusing Mask

Reged: 10/01/04

Loc: Mineral Point, Wi
Re: Mount PST to Dobsonian? new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5664975 - 02/06/13 10:54 AM

Quote:

My experience with similar "precision slow motion adapters" is that they are not very rigid. Workable for a 35mm camera with a short focal length lens but not for a scope.

I probably won't use this for imaging- just for visual. At the price, it's low risk anyway.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
hbanich
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/17/05

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Re: Mount PST to Dobsonian? [Re: John Wunderlin]
      #5665616 - 02/06/13 04:33 PM Attachment (6 downloads)

Quote:

Has anyone ever tried mounting a PST to a Dob? I just picked up a PST and would like to do this. I have an EQ platform for my dob, so this would allow me to having tracking for whitelight and Ha at the same time- very handy for outreach...

Hi John, I've mounted a PST to my 28" by using a car window camera mount. Google turns up bunches of these gizmos - I found mine at a local camera store. The 1/4 - 20 attaches to the PST and the clamp to an altitude bearing, making this a quick and easy way to go. It's a fairly stiff attachment but not totally solid like a set of mounting rings would be. Still pretty good though and much more solid than putting it on a EQ-1 mount.

faackanders2
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/28/11

Re: Mount PST to Dobsonian? new [Re: John Wunderlin]
      #5668078 - 02/07/13 11:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Another solution is to use a precision adapter (with 1/4"-20 threads). These are relatively inexpensive and work quite nicely, allowing almost micrometer-like adjustment on both axes.

Paul

We have a winner! That's perfect- thanks much!

I use the precision adapter for my 25x100 binos, and previously used it for my Solarmax 40 with great sucess. Just try to avoid reaching the limits (since it will screw out).

John Wunderlin
Vendor - Spike-a Focusing Mask

Reged: 10/01/04

Loc: Mineral Point, Wi
Re: Mount PST to Dobsonian? new [Re: kfiscus]
      #5669287 - 02/08/13 03:36 PM

Quote:

To throw a wrinkle into the works, I also use a PST for outreach, but no one looks through the PST itself. I use a Meade electronic EP and a 12-foot cable into a small monitor.

Hey Ken,

I just tried hooking up a couple of cameras to my PST and it looks like I don't have enough in-focus. Did you have to do something special to get it to come to focus with your camera? I tried my SPC900 and Starshoot Autoguider- neither could quite reach focus. I also tried my Orion Shorty+barlow- no good.

Edited by John Wunderlin (02/08/13 03:36 PM)

kfiscus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/09/12

Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA
Re: Mount PST to Dobsonian? new [Re: John Wunderlin]
      #5669560 - 02/08/13 06:22 PM

No. The Meade electronic EP (a stretch to call it a camera) reaches focus fine. I originally tried this because the stock EP just gave too small a view. The Meade produces something similar to a 4mm EP.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tecmage, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 817

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics