Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
bicparker
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/07/05

Loc: Texas Hill Country
Re: "Best" software for Mac? new [Re: rmollise]
      #5219736 - 05/13/12 06:29 AM

Rod,
We both have been doing this for a long mess o' years and have both been using astronomy software since it was hammered out on paper tape. We just don't see eye to eye on this.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
UmaDog
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/15/10

Loc: Basel, Switzerland
Re: "Best" software for Mac? new [Re: bicparker]
      #5243031 - 05/27/12 10:40 PM

I too rather like SkySafari. It's got a pleasant interface and the ability to read up about all the objects is nice. I run SkyTools3 on my Air via CrossOver but I've been finding that it randomly looses log entries (quite probably because of CrossOver). Very annoying indeed. I have, therefore, switched my logging to AstroPlanner as of today. If you're doing stuff such as working through observing lists, then AstroPlanner is better than ST3. The interface is more modern and intuitive. It's easier to read your past logs (ST3 is bad for that) and you get stats on your progess, etc. ST3, on the other hand, makes very nice charts and is very accurate. It will download minor planet and supernova data, too. It all depends what you're looking for, really.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: "Best" software for Mac? new [Re: bicparker]
      #5243436 - 05/28/12 09:17 AM

Quote:

Rod,
We both have been doing this for a long mess o' years and have both been using astronomy software since it was hammered out on paper tape. We just don't see eye to eye on this.

And that is the way it should be. If all we ever did was conduct a mutual admiration society, nobody, particularly novices, would learn much around here.

As I said, I like SkySafari very much. When it comes to the big screen, though...I guess I'm just set in my ways. Big surprise, right?

LivingNDixie
TSP Chowhound

Reged: 04/23/03

Loc: Trussville, AL
Re: "Best" software for Mac? new [Re: rmollise]
      #5248879 - 05/31/12 01:26 PM

I second bicparker and use the Sky Safari Plus for my Mac. It is available from the App Store and is easy one time download. I have had only one problem with it, for some reason the TSP list I imported was doing some screwy things. Basically the software was always trying to find objects from that list only.However closing out that window and using the search function seemed to fix the issue.

I also have Stellarium and CdC. I got Stellarium first and used it as a digital planetarium to find alignment stars for my LX200. It worked great for that, not so hot at finding things in the sky with the search function.

CdC I could never really figure out.

I would like to get the Moon Atlas and Mars Atlas Apps too, but I already have them on my iPhone so I might not get them for the actual laptop since that would be a little overboard. Seeing a realtime Mars or Moon map is pretty cool.

NickK-UK

Reged: 07/28/12

Loc: UK
Re: "Best" software for Mac? new [Re: LivingNDixie]
      #5346519 - 08/01/12 07:30 AM

I'd have a look at EQMac if you have an EQ6. It will connect to PHD etc for guiding.

simpleisbetter
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/18/11

Re: "Best" software for Mac? new [Re: NickK-UK]
      #5346575 - 08/01/12 08:28 AM

I used to own and run on Mac up through Tiger (10.5?), and the only Mac astro programs I used were CdC & AstroPlanner. Both native mac programs which work very well together. Of course if I were to do it today, I'd run my SkyTools on a Mac through a Win virtual machine.

Another good program that's now been ported to Mac is the Virtual Moon Atlas.

kriss13

Reged: 07/19/12

Loc: Europe
Re: "Best" software for Mac? new [Re: JMW]
      #5665656 - 02/06/13 04:58 PM

Quote:

I love SkySafari Pro on my mac. I have used Stary Night Pro+ for years but it would really use the CPU when working away. This would draw down the battery faster than I likes. I started using SkySafari for the iPad and bought the mac version when it came out. It is very smooth, easy to use are hardy puts any load on the processor so the battery will last longer through the night.

I have to use Windows 7 on my Macbook pro for a few imaging programs. I wish I could use SkySafari Pro on Windows 7 with the ASCOM driver.

Funny, on my Mac SkySafari Pro has 100% cpu load while Stary Night Pro+ has 4%. MBP 2008.
Weird is that SkySafari (simple) does not load the cpu much.

Stelarium is another cpu hog... hate it for this.

Unfortunately i managed only the hogs (SkySafari Pro and Stelarium) to connect to my scope.
I just cannot connect my favorite Stary Night Pro+ to my EQ-5 goto. (any ideas?)

btschumy
Vendor - Simulation Curriculum

Reged: 04/13/04

Loc: Longmont, CO, USA
Re: "Best" software for Mac? [Re: kriss13]
      #5665722 - 02/06/13 05:39 PM

Quote:

Funny, on my Mac SkySafari Pro has 100% cpu load while Stary Night Pro+ has 4%. MBP 2008.
Weird is that SkySafari (simple) does not load the cpu much.

Something unusual is going on in your case. I have a 2008 vintage MPB for testing and I get about 4% CPU usage while just idling (in real time mode) and it might jump up to 60% while panning around. If you are really pegged at 100% then please contact me at our support email and we will try to figure this out.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
7 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  richard7, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3294

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics