Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
jarhead

Reged: 11/24/04

Loc: Tennessee USA
Anyone seen ad for new LXD75 mount and tripod? new
      #5662558 - 02/04/13 09:53 PM

I didn't know Meade was still making this mount. I am not up to date, but recently started looking for a mount. Wanting to get into astrophotography. Saw this ad http://www.telescopes.com/telescope-accessories/mounts-and-tripods/meadelxd75...
I wonder if this is just a NEWER CHINESE knockoff Meade is marketing or if it is as good as the older verion was. Any feedback will be appreciated. The price with $5.00 shipoping is hard to pass up for me. So, I am turning to you all for some helpful advice. Thank you (preemptive)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Agatha
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/04/12

Loc: Coulee Region, Wisconsin
Re: Anyone seen ad for new LXD75 mount and tripod? new [Re: jarhead]
      #5662706 - 02/04/13 11:39 PM

I think that it is most likely some remaining stock of the mount that hasn't been sold yet.
Sorry, I can't give any advice on the workings of the mount. Good luck.

Best, Linda B.

Cliff Hipsher
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/31/08

Loc: North Chesterfield, VA
      #5663127 - 02/05/13 09:18 AM

This is NOS, or New Old Stock. The LXD75 is a decent mount, but not the best. I have one and I like it. I bought it used so it needed some "adjustments".

FWIW, Meade has discontinued this mount. Getting parts is a real problem.

Should my mount ever die I'm going for a Celestron...

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#5663198 - 02/05/13 09:53 AM

Quote:

I didn't know Meade was still making this mount. I am not up to date, but recently started looking for a mount. Wanting to get into astrophotography. Saw this ad http://www.telescopes.com/telescope-accessories/mounts-and-tripods/meadelxd75...
I wonder if this is just a NEWER CHINESE knockoff Meade is marketing or if it is as good as the older verion was. Any feedback will be appreciated. The price with $5.00 shipoping is hard to pass up for me. So, I am turning to you all for some helpful advice. Thank you (preemptive)

They ain't. She's gone, and is likely not coming back--though you never know. Shame. Never my favorite, but a dern sight better than the cotton-picking LX80.

Fight the urge. If you want a mount like this, spend a couple of hundred extra on the new Celestron VX.

Edited by rmollise (02/05/13 09:54 AM)

jarhead

Re: Anyone seen ad for new LXD75 mount and tripod? new [Re: rmollise]
      #5663312 - 02/05/13 10:39 AM

Well, like I said, it is a BUDGET temptation. Considering the prices on Celestron and Orion Sirius and Atlas( which gets good reviews too) I had to ask the question. I was just curious more than anything. Thanks again for your scholarly advice.

belgrade
sage

Reged: 10/05/07

Loc: Frisco, TX
      #5663555 - 02/05/13 01:02 PM

It's not a particularly attractive price for a discontinued and, by now, outdated model. I have one and it works okay but I'd never buy it again for anywhere near what this retailer wants. BTW, I've seen it sold for less at the time it was discontinued and it still sometimes pops up as a refurbished unit in Meade's Outlet Store for at least $100 less, if not more, though they do charge for shipping (I have no clue how much).

jarhead

Re: Anyone seen ad for new LXD75 mount and tripod? [Re: belgrade]
      #5665865 - 02/06/13 07:12 PM

Good point. I know they were only 30lb. rated anyhow which moves it into a pretty big class of choices. I really appreciate everyones input. As you can see, I'm shopping and need some help with my blindspots. Thanks

Pages: 1

Extra information
11 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 653

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics