Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1
chrisg
sage

Reged: 02/15/09

Zeiss 16x/16? new
      #5661577 - 02/04/13 11:29 AM

Been loving my Zeiss PL 10x/18 microscope eyepieces for binoviewing. Truly incredible contrast/color. Now curious about other Zeiss options such as the W16x/16. I haven't seen too much discussion about these lenses, does anyone here have extensive experience with these?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Svezda
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/01/07

Loc: Texas
Re: Zeiss 16x/16? new [Re: chrisg]
      #5661641 - 02/04/13 12:12 PM

I'm with you...don't see any reports on the odd ones out there. I have the famed Zeiss aspheric so-called ortho three element and have commented extensively on it and also have seen many other reports on it (all very favorable, as is my assessment of it). I have some other Zeiss micro eps and love them but not the one you mention. Note that any 16x micro ep will have about 16mm FL (15.6mm with std. 250mm FL microscope) so there isn't an easy way to verify which one you're asking about ("W16x/16"). I think Markus Ludes has/had (as usual for his offerings) a very expensive Zeiss 16x/16 for sale. Not sure if it is the one you're asking about.

chrisg
sage

Re: Zeiss 16x/16? new [Re: Svezda]
      #5661787 - 02/04/13 01:30 PM

Yes, the W16x/16 is the eyepiece I'm considering, there's a pair on an auction site, from West Germany, so there are a few versions/vintages. Would be great to have a detailed shootout from someone here. Also the Zeiss Diascope 30x/40x (12.8mm) seems to be a winner, but just a few of us have tried it.

Scott99
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/10/07

Loc: New England
      #5664253 - 02/05/13 08:05 PM

Quote:

Yes, the W16x/16 is the eyepiece I'm considering, there's a pair on an auction site, from West Germany, so there are a few versions/vintages. Would be great to have a detailed shootout from someone here. Also the Zeiss Diascope 30x/40x (12.8mm) seems to be a winner, but just a few of us have tried it.

Chris - I think I've got the 16mm eyepiece you're referring to...here are pictures of the one I have:

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Eyepieces&...

as you can see by my post I like this eyepiece, it works well. Is there anything specific you want to know about it? It's got 5 elements, I find that contrast is a slight notch below my premium 3 and 4-element ep's but not by much. Typical Zeiss glass and coatings give nice images. Edge correction is good at f/7.5, suffers a bit in my f/5.6 scope though.

chrisg
sage

Re: Zeiss 16x/16? [Re: Scott99]
      #5665881 - 02/06/13 07:21 PM

Thanks Scott. Yes, it's similar - I saw a pair on a popular auction site, that's made in West Germany, has different markings on the outside but I have no idea if the optics are any different from what you have. (I'd post a picture, but I don't know how to do this here!)
Essentially I'm wondering how these W16x/16 eyepieces compare in performance to, say, the Zeiss PL 10x/18. I got these lenses a few months ago, and compared to the Panoptic 24mm, the color, contrast, sharpness is vastly different. While the Zeiss certainly lacks afov, I find the view itself much more pleasing.

Scott99
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/10/07

Loc: New England
      #5674631 - 02/11/13 07:04 PM

Quote:

Thanks Scott. Yes, it's similar - I saw a pair on a popular auction site, that's made in West Germany, has different markings on the outside but I have no idea if the optics are any different from what you have. (I'd post a picture, but I don't know how to do this here!)
Essentially I'm wondering how these W16x/16 eyepieces compare in performance to, say, the Zeiss PL 10x/18. I got these lenses a few months ago, and compared to the Panoptic 24mm, the color, contrast, sharpness is vastly different. While the Zeiss certainly lacks afov, I find the view itself much more pleasing.

So the 10x eyepiece you have is the 25mm 3-element one? I have one of those as well, it's outstanding. I think the 16mm is similar but adds a 2-element negative lens in front.

The 16mm gives up a little contrast to the 25mm, I assume because of the extra lenses. However, the FOV is wider and better corrected. The 16mm looks good out to the edge at 54 degrees in my f/7.5 scope, the 25mm eyepiece breaks down after around 45 degrees.

However, the 16mm will not match something like a Nagler on edge correction, it breaks down a bit at f/5.6. If you can get a good price on the 16mm I would go for it. It's one of my favorite ep's in my f/7.5 scope. It will perform with the same clarity as the 25mm when compared to the various Tele Vue widefields, that's why I use it. Having only 5 elements is better than 8 or 9 for contrast, and I think the Zeiss coatings & glass are probably a notch better as well.

daniel_h
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/08/08

Loc: VIC, Australia
Re: Zeiss 16x/16? new [Re: Scott99]
      #5674650 - 02/11/13 07:21 PM

if you check APM europe site they sell many of the zeiss ep's adapted to 1.25" for telescopes, i had a 25mm 3 el-terrific eyepiece, i got it cheap & sold when someone offered me more than dbl so he could binoview with it

Pages: 1

Extra information
30 registered and 43 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Scott in NC, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 534

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics