Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Equipment

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Lane
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/19/07

Loc: Frisco, Texas
Re: Any tents that can stand up to high wind? new [Re: Charlie B]
      #5663881 - 02/05/13 04:22 PM

The Cabella's West Wind tent does a great job of standing off the wind, primarily because of the shape. However that shape also means the 4 person tent is really not for 4 people. I would say their 6 person tent will actually fit 4 people. The 6 person model is $289 but goes on sale for $229 from time to time.

Setup is easy and fast by one person, even the 8 person version of this tent can be set up pretty fast by one person.

The doors can be unzipped to become large screen doors and there are vents at the top. No windows on the sides at all. This is pretty nice, since it gives you plenty of ventilation but also plenty of privacy without having to put on the rain fly.

There is no privacy in the base camp tent unless you put on the rain fly and I don't like that extra step especially when it not going to actually rain.

The Cabela's Alaskan Guide tent is very similar to the West Wind but it is even sturdier. Does weigh a lot though.

Cabela's makes additional tents that can withstand just about any thing mother nature has to offer, but the cost can be high on some of those.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Any tents that can stand up to high wind? new [Re: TL2101]
      #5663885 - 02/05/13 04:24 PM

I've been waiting for someone to say the tent is for their scopes and not for them........

starrancher
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/09/09

Loc: Northern Arizona
Re: Any tents that can stand up to high wind? new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5663909 - 02/05/13 04:36 PM

Quote:

I've been waiting for someone to say the tent is for their scopes and not for them........

The tent is for my scopes and not for me .

mountain monk
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/06/09

Loc: Grand Teton National Park
Re: Any tents that can stand up to high wind? new [Re: starrancher]
      #5664015 - 02/05/13 05:30 PM

I spent a good chunk of my life in tents in high winds, here, in the Himalayas, and in South America. We are corporate partners with both Black Diamond and Marmot, test gear for both of them, and have used numerous North Face tents over the years. As suggested above, get a good "dome" tent with multiple stake-out points and long steel stakes that can be driven with a big hammer or hand sledge. Such tents can (and have) taken 100mph winds, assuming solid construction and heavy fabric, and BIG poles. Have a fly that stakes out low to the ground so the wind can't get under it. Put the back to expected direction of the wind and pay particular attention to solidly staking that area. In my book, 25 mph winds are a piece of cake. Get to good dome tent and you will be fine.

Dark skies.

Jack

Edited by mountain monk (02/05/13 06:27 PM)

northernontario
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/01/09

Loc: Porcupine, Ontario Canada
Re: Any tents that can stand up to high wind? new [Re: mountain monk]
      #5664039 - 02/05/13 05:39 PM

Extra rope and decent pegs go a long way too.

jake

JayinUT
I'm not Sleepy

Reged: 09/19/08

Loc: Utah
Re: Any tents that can stand up to high wind? new [Re: northernontario]
      #5664163 - 02/05/13 06:54 PM

I have a couple of tents, one being the tent cot but I am not sure the tent cot would endure high winds but I haven't had to find out. I often though load the rocker and upper tube on my scope into the back of my Pathfinder, load up the paper part and eyepieces in the front passenger and then lay out and stretch out on a 3 inch memory foam mattress in the back of the Pathfinder. At 6'0 I sometimes leave the tail gate up and stretch out really nice. If there is bad weather, I can lower the gate, bend my legs and sleep with my cpap machine. Sometimes I sleep in a tent. Just depends.

piaras
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/26/09

Loc: Niagara Region
Re: Any tents that can stand up to high wind? new [Re: TL2101]
      #5664243 - 02/05/13 07:52 PM

Quote:

I pull my vehicle next to help block the wind

If you can this is a major help against wind, and place the camp site below the top of hill/ridge. No sense being on the top except if your site is in the flatlands of the praires. No cover except your car/truck in that case!

Charlie B
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/22/08

Loc: Sterling, Virginia
Re: Any tents that can stand up to high wind? new [Re: woodchuck]
      #5664244 - 02/05/13 07:54 PM

I think you were next to me.

Charlie B

bouffetout
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/21/12

Loc: Canada
Re: Any tents that can stand up to high wind? new [Re: Charlie B]
      #5664383 - 02/05/13 09:51 PM

Google for Ice-fishing tent...I know I will buy one and make modifications to unroll a strip of the top ,and that will be my observatory...very sturdy stuff !
Good luck !
Maxx

Pat at home
sage

Reged: 03/16/07

Loc: Campbellton, New Brunswick, Ca...
Re: Any tents that can stand up to high wind? new [Re: bouffetout]
      #5664869 - 02/06/13 09:38 AM

We get all of our better quality outdoor gear from Mountain Equipment Co-op. They are a Canadian member owned co-operative ($5 to join) with unsurpassed customer service. These guys stand behind their stuff. I had a three layer mountaineering jacket on which the zipper let go after I'd had it 6 years. They fixed it for free, can't beat that kind of customer care.

Here is link to their page for expedition tents. BTE, they'll ship anywhere.

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Tents/Expedition.jsp

bouffetout
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/21/12

Loc: Canada
Re: Any tents that can stand up to high wind? new [Re: Pat at home]
      #5664967 - 02/06/13 10:48 AM

Quote:

We get all of our better quality outdoor gear from Mountain Equipment Co-op. They are a Canadian member owned co-operative ($5 to join) with unsurpassed customer service. These guys stand behind their stuff. I had a three layer mountaineering jacket on which the zipper let go after I'd had it 6 years. They fixed it for free, can't beat that kind of customer care.

Here is link to their page for expedition tents. BTE, they'll ship anywhere.

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Tents/Expedition.jsp

That is awesome ,they have two stores about 30 minutes from where I live...I didn't know they existed ,thank you so very much !!!
Maxx

davidpitre
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/05

Loc: Central Texas
Re: Any tents that can stand up to high wind? [Re: Spaced]
      #5666144 - 02/06/13 10:16 PM

Quote:

A couple of years ago I bought a Cabela's Alaskan Guide tent for my daughter, for car camping. See here; I think it's the 4 person aluminum pole unit. Its design includes two additional wrap-around poles in addition to the basic 6 pole dome design, so the sides are extremely well-braced against lateral pressure. The rainfly, which goes nearly to the ground, is anchored to the tent at more points than typical. The result is a tent built like a rock.

I've used it in two somewhat challenging circumstances. One was two nights of mixed snow/rain and some wind, at about 5500'. I found the tent to be very cozy; the dead air space between tent and fly acts as a thermos bottle. The second was high winds at our Goldendale star party last year. We had quite a windstorm that flattened several tents and damaged a couple of EZ-Up canopies. (See pictures starting at page 6 of this thread). The Cabela's tent was, again, simply a rock. Note that there's nothing special about Cabela's stuff, generally. They sell low-end stuff too. *This* line is, however, truly outstanding quality.

I have one of these and can vouch for it as well. I've used it in some storms and it held up admirably. Funny enough, I bought it after hearing it was one of the only tents left standing a few years ago at the Okie Tex star party when 70 mph winds hit leveling pretty much everything.

Spaced
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/01/05

Loc: Tacoma, Washington, USA
Re: Any tents that can stand up to high wind? new [Re: davidpitre]
      #5667428 - 02/07/13 04:27 PM

You have good taste in stout tents, David!

bogg
sage

Reged: 11/17/09

Loc: Bruce County Ontario
Re: Any tents that can stand up to high wind? new [Re: Spaced]
      #5667596 - 02/07/13 06:13 PM

A few years ago at Starfest near Toronto a tornado went very near the campsite. I arrived shortly after the high winds went through. There was quite a bit of debris. A number of Kendrick tents remained standing, a number of domed tents also were ok. Most of the tents damaged were when poles snapped or just simply not tied down enough. With that experience I would definatly say any domed tent would be a good choice. Just make sure it's tied down well and not too close to a tree.

piaras
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/26/09

Loc: Niagara Region
Re: Any tents that can stand up to high wind? new [Re: bogg]
      #5667887 - 02/07/13 09:23 PM

I too was at Starfest that year, we were near the security gate area. We had all the vehicles around us so there was no damage, but closer to the lower areas not far from the big tent, there was a few tents flying around.
We could see the funnel, I think one of the Niagara RASC members got a picture of it.
As stated the tents that were setup correctly were fine.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cbwerner, tecmage, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3180

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics