Telescope Specific Forums >> Questar Forum

Pages: 1
Stephen S
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/21/07

Loc: Carmel, IN
Case Designs new
      #5445199 - 09/28/12 12:55 PM

Just picked up a 1992 Questar. Wonderful device and I am absolutely loving it. I have already picked up and discovered tons of information about the scope I purchased based on information from this forum. I have one last piece of information I have yet to fully ascertain. I'm hoping somebody here can help.

The case I have is in excellent condition. However, there is some debate in the family as to whether it is made of leather or vinyl. The case, like the scope itself, is from 1992. It has combination locks. I was under the impression that the combination locks were only included on the deluxe leather version.

Are my assumptions here correct or could it be that I actually have a vinyl version with combination locks? Not a critical issue obviously but would love to solve the mystery. Any insights would be appreciated.

Thanks! Steve S

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Billydee
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Winter Haven, FL
Re: Case Designs new [Re: Stephen S]
      #5445405 - 09/28/12 03:23 PM

Steve,

You can call The Mother Ship and tell them about your purchase and they will put your name in the book. Ask Jim R. to check what was ordered with it. When you give them your serial number he should be able to answer. I have a 1994 Duplex and it came with a vinyl padded case with key locks.

Luck, Bill

Edited by Billydee (09/28/12 03:24 PM)

Stephen S
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/21/07

Loc: Carmel, IN
Re: Case Designs new [Re: Billydee]
      #5451509 - 10/02/12 09:02 AM

Sent a note and some pictures (at Jim's request) to Jim at Questar. Jim got back to me immediately confirmed that my case is a leather case.

The real confirmation for me is the level of customer service at Questar. Truly unrivaled in today's business climate. I'm even more thrilled about my scope today now that I understand a little bit more about the company behind the scope.

Erik Bakker
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/10/06

Loc: The Netherlands, Europe
Re: Case Designs new [Re: Stephen S]
      #5452358 - 10/02/12 05:45 PM

Quote:

The real confirmation for me is the level of customer service at Questar. Truly unrivaled in today's business climate. I'm even more thrilled about my scope today now that I understand a little bit more about the company behind the scope.

The essence of Questar, there is nothing like it

Billydee
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Winter Haven, FL
Re: Case Designs new [Re: Erik Bakker]
      #5452819 - 10/02/12 10:54 PM

Steve,

Jim is a wonderful person and will help you with anything. His Father worked at Questar before he retired. Glad you joined the family.

Bill

seeindoubles

Reged: 01/15/12

Loc: Pacific Northwest-Oregon
Re: Case Designs new [Re: Billydee]
      #5554726 - 12/04/12 09:59 PM

Not to be tacky, but...smell it! Leather, even old leather will always smell like leather. Vinyl just does not.

WWPierre

Reged: 07/04/09

Loc: British Columbia
Re: Case Designs new [Re: seeindoubles]
      #5639029 - 01/23/13 02:40 PM

Quote:

Not to be tacky, but...smell it! Leather, even old leather will always smell like leather. Vinyl just does not.

I can vouch for that. My 1973 case smells like leather.

Gordon Reade

Reged: 02/28/06

Re: Case Designs [Re: WWPierre]
      #5666163 - 02/06/13 10:31 PM

I own both cases and I must say that I really prefer the latching mechanism on the vinyl case over the combination lock of the leather case. I donít want to fumble with a combination lock in the dark and when I donít spin dials it seems that the case can easily be opened by accident. The latches on the vinyl are easy to use day or night and seem much safer to me.

seeindoubles

Reged: 01/15/12

Loc: Pacific Northwest-Oregon
Re: Case Designs new [Re: Gordon Reade]
      #5708152 - 03/02/13 03:23 AM

I second your observation. Also, for those who wish to have a rugged field case for their Questar, try Harbor Freight! They stock lots of various sized hard cases in either black or aluminum finish. Some even come filled with cubed foam ready to make into your own custom case. Storeables also has some similar and sometimes better quality cases but stock is spotty.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3682

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics