Observing >> Lunar Observing

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
cpsTN
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/26/07

Loc: Rutherford Co, TN
What is your most memorable Lunar sight? new
      #5664083 - 02/05/13 06:03 PM

My most memorable Lunar sight was a couple years ago: I have never forgotten, nor will I, the time I saw the Serpentine Ridge in Mare Serentitatis under the right light and shadow at only 180x with my 8" f/6 dob. Not only did it look 3-D but it looked like a double-braided rope, weaving in and out of the "sand". Amazing!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
RobertED
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/11/03

Loc: Smithfield, RI
Re: What is your most memorable Lunar sight? new [Re: cpsTN]
      #5664355 - 02/05/13 09:36 PM

A very crisp, clear image of Hadley Rille!!! (viewed through Ladd Observatory's 12" Brashear refractor!).....

dan777
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/16/07

Loc: Indiana
      #5664410 - 02/05/13 10:07 PM

Vallis Rheita - It was if I was looking through a long canyon that had steep sides. The lighting and sun angle were so perfect that I'm not sure I'll ever see that view again. Lunar day 18, colongitude 134.0, 170x in my 8" dob.

davidmcgo
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/09/04

Loc: San Diego, CA
Re: What is your most memorable Lunar sight? new [Re: dan777]
      #5664435 - 02/05/13 10:29 PM

I have had a few in the last few years. One was a perfect night where my 1965 Celestron C10 gave me a fabulous view of Rima Marius, Rima Brayley, and the Prinz rilles.

The second was with my 10.25" F17 Dall Kirkham giving me a steady view of the rille in the Alpine Valley at about 455x.

Third was with my TV85 and seeing Mare Nectaris near the terminator and having shadow between it at the ridges around it, looking completely like an impact basin!

And I'm envious of Robert, that 12" Brashear at Ladd is a beautiful classic scope! I had a chance a few years back to admire it with a small group of friends from Skyscrapers for two nights hoping thunderstorms would clear to let us see Mars.

Dave

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: What is your most memorable Lunar sight? new [Re: davidmcgo]
      #5664753 - 02/06/13 07:50 AM

Most recently - good seeing and excellent sun angle across the Hadley rille giving it a sculptural feel I hadn't seen quite they good before through my. 8". It handled 364x beautifully. Before that, seeing Catena Davy *resolve* through my 70mm. Of course the crater chain is made up of craters below the angular resolution of the 70mm but what it did resolve lent a glittering appearance as it wavered in and out with the seeing.

The first wow moment ever with the moon? Seeing Mare Crisium through binos 7x50 at 12.

Pet

Edited by azure1961p (02/06/13 08:34 AM)

RobertED
Post Laureate

Re: What is your most memorable Lunar sight? new [Re: azure1961p]
      #5664969 - 02/06/13 10:50 AM

Dave, so cool that you had a chance to see Ladd Obs. and the Brashear!! I'm sure you've also had the pleasure of checking out the 8" Alvan Clark at Skyscrapers' Seagrave Observatory!! Both are awesome scopes and the owners do keep them in meticulous shape!! Hopefelly, you'll get to see Mars, Saturn and Jupiter in that Brashear, someday!!!

Tim2723
The Moon Guy

Reged: 02/19/04

Loc: Northern New Jersey
Re: What is your most memorable Lunar sight? new [Re: RobertED]
      #5665380 - 02/06/13 02:21 PM

My most memorable Lunar sight didn't involve a scope at all. It's that weird illusion that can happen during the very early crescent at twilight when Earth shine illuminates the whole Moon and it appears to be a three-dimensional ball hanging just above the horizon. When it looks like the Moon is inside our atmosphere and you could reach up and touch it.

David Knisely
Postmaster

Reged: 04/19/04

Loc: southeastern Nebraska
      #5665792 - 02/06/13 06:21 PM

Mine came early on when as a kid with a 2.4 inch refractor. I got to see the Appenine mountains at lunar sunrise and realized that they were not just mountains but were actually a sharp gigantic ring-like escarpment that went much of the way around Mare Imbrium. This instantly told me that Mare Imbrium was an impact basin, as my Sky and Telescope issue from early in the previous year had highlighted the "bulls-eye" ring formations of the Mare Orientale impact basin. Another great early sight a few years later was a day or so past full moon with my 8 inch Newtonian when viewing the southern highlands along the lunar limb at 237x and 357x, getting an almost "side" profile view of the terraced interior of Boussingault and the rugged areas around it. That region is still one of my favorites to look at to this day, and now with my 14 inch, I can do so at some *very* high powers (over 800x one night). Clear skies to you.

Carol L

Reged: 07/05/04

Loc: Tomahawk, WI 45N//89W
      #5665973 - 02/06/13 08:35 PM

My most memorable lunar sight was watching sunrise on Mons Rumker.
It took several hours from beginning to end - absolutely stunning!

desertstars

Reged: 11/05/03

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Re: What is your most memorable Lunar sight? new [Re: Carol L]
      #5666104 - 02/06/13 09:57 PM

The first time I looked at the Aristarchus Plateau with an 8" Newtonian and an understanding of what I was seeing.

azure1961p
Postmaster

Re: What is your most memorable Lunar sight? new [Re: desertstars]
      #5666168 - 02/06/13 10:35 PM

Oh then there was that time Saturn grazed just *above* the moon some years ago - looked like a flying saucer. Amazing how low as turns surface brightness was to the moons brilliance.

Pete

Kutno
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/17/09

Re: What is your most memorable Lunar sight? [Re: cpsTN]
      #5666174 - 02/06/13 10:38 PM

I am torn, Charles, between two views that are etched in my mind. One occurred while using a single eyepiece. The other occurred while binoviewing.

In mono mode: A stunning Wather Ray event, during the night of July 24/25, 2008, ended when the setting sun's light narrowed to a laser-like sliver across the crater floor.

While binoviewing: An amazingly dark Schiller, with an illuminated rim, during the night of August 15/16, 2009. The crater hauntingly appeared as a sharply defined deep black pool floating on the Lunar surface.

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
Re: What is your most memorable Lunar sight? new [Re: Kutno]
      #5666376 - 02/07/13 01:41 AM

Mine was the first time seeing it naked-eye as a single image instead of triple, after getting my cataracts fixed.

SusanY

Reged: 02/05/13

Loc: Cape Town, South Africa
      #5667110 - 02/07/13 01:39 PM

My most memorable sight of the moon was on 20 July 1969, as a little kid, lying on the grass in what was then Salisbury, Rhodesia (now Harare, Zimbabwe), gazing at the moon and thinking, "Two Americans are walking on it right now."

cpsTN
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/26/07

Loc: Rutherford Co, TN
Re: What is your most memorable Lunar sight? new [Re: SusanY]
      #5670251 - 02/09/13 07:58 AM

Bobong: On July 20, '69, I was only 361 days old. They touched down back on Earth on my 1st birthday (07/24/69).

kfiscus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/09/12

Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA
Re: What is your most memorable Lunar sight? new [Re: azure1961p]
      #5670334 - 02/09/13 09:10 AM

A grazing occultation of Saturn. Watching the planet play hide-and-seek behind the unlit lunar mountains was incredible.

RobertED
Post Laureate

Re: What is your most memorable Lunar sight? new [Re: kfiscus]
      #5670598 - 02/09/13 11:59 AM

Quote:

A grazing occultation of Saturn. Watching the planet play hide-and-seek behind the unlit lunar mountains was incredible.

AWESOME!!....I can imagine how cool that would've been!! I've yet to witness that!!

azure1961p
Postmaster

Re: What is your most memorable Lunar sight? new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #5671210 - 02/09/13 06:56 PM

Quote:

Mine was the first time seeing it naked-eye as a single image instead of triple, after getting my cataracts fixed.

When did that happen Rick?

Pete

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
Re: What is your most memorable Lunar sight? [Re: azure1961p]
      #5671761 - 02/10/13 03:01 AM

Quote:

Quote:

When did that happen Rick?

Pete

Pete,
It's been, I believe, about two years. I'd have to check; but that's close.
(PM me for "the rest of the story")

67champ
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/03/06

Loc: Ohio, USA
Re: What is your most memorable Lunar sight? [Re: Rick Woods]
      #5672636 - 02/10/13 04:22 PM

Probably to nobodys surprise, what I refer to as the Lunar X these days is my most memorable Lunar sight. It was summer, 1978 and I was a 15 year old kid that had no idea what that X-shape "thing" could be... I did not know that the illumination phase of the moon had anthing to do with being able to see it or not. Over the years I thought about that "X on the Moon" many, many, many times...

Life changing events of sorts brought me back to astronomy and that old friend in 2005. I'll never forget that first observation of the X and everytime I see it, even all these years later, I get that feeling of excitement and wonder that I felt back then. I guess that's why I just can't let it go..

dana t

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave Mitsky, star drop, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3754

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics