Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoviewers

Pages: 1
choran
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/28/12

Bit the Bullet! new
      #5665856 - 02/06/13 07:07 PM

Well, I bit the bullet and just ordered a Baader Mark V, 1.25x compensator, T2 diagonal, 2" nosepiece, and the 2" Advanced Convertible Barlow that replaced (I believe) the Barcon. Now I'll just have to see how it works in a Televue 85 and NP101. Keeping my fingers crossed. Figuring that the 1.25 probably won't bring it to focus, but the Barlow will. We'll see. Decided to go with the Barlow rather than the 1.7 compensator. Hope I was right. Again, we'll see! LOL

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
choran
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Bit the Bullet! new [Re: choran]
      #5666055 - 02/06/13 09:30 PM

Heck, I was hoping somebody would hop in, if only to say "Attaboy" or "You Dunce!" LOL

tomcody
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/06/08

Loc: Titusville, Florida
      #5666101 - 02/06/13 09:55 PM

Attaboy! That's just what I use. Once you try it, ( if it come to focus with the 1.25 GPC?) , you can go from low power to high power just by using the Barcon.
If you need the 1.75GPC? just use it and the Barcon the same way.
Rex

choran
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Bit the Bullet! new [Re: tomcody]
      #5666143 - 02/06/13 10:15 PM

I am forever in your debt! When it arrives, I will let you know how it works out. I think I'll probably have to get the 1.7 just to try it out if nothing else. In for a penny, in for a pound, as they say! Do you know anything about the Advanced Convertible Barlow? Almost sounds like it can be used in a couple of ways and may allow some power variation depending upon how one configures that component. Not sure.

They were very helpful when I ordered today at Astrophysics, in all respects.
I'm really hoping this works out well. There are certainly several fine binoviewers out there these days, and the choice was not easy, for sure.
At some point, I think one just has to jump in and hope for the best.

tomcody
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Bit the Bullet! [Re: choran]
      #5666196 - 02/06/13 10:52 PM

From what I have read, the new Barcon works like the old one but is better corrected for photography, no difference for visual users.
One point, the GPC's are assembled for either the Maxbrights or the Mark V's, by reversing the lens in the housing. If you buy from Astro Physics, it should be set up for the Mark V. ( you can change the lens around yourself, if you need to), but it's nice to buy it already setup for your unit.
Rex

Edited by tomcody (02/06/13 10:54 PM)

Paul G
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/08/03

Loc: Freedonia
      #5666599 - 02/07/13 07:58 AM

I have the same setup with the older BARCON. Top notch optics, you won't be disappointed. Be sure to post your impressions once you receive it. What eyepieces do you have?

choran
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Bit the Bullet! new [Re: Paul G]
      #5666643 - 02/07/13 08:43 AM

I have a pretty good eyepiece array, but most are unsuitable for use in the binoviewer. Have 40mm Televue Plosssl, 31 Nagler, 24 Panoptic, 20 televue Plossl, 17, 13, 10 Ethos, 6 Delos, 5 TMB, 3.7 Ethos.

My though is to team up the Panoptic with another, check out the system, and if satisfactory, go from there. Suggestions welcome.

Still have nagging doubts this setup will be optimal for my needs given the scopes I will be utilizing, but the only way to know for sure is to try. I was assured that if it's a no-go, it can go back, though I'd hate to go that route.

REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
      #5666687 - 02/07/13 09:22 AM

The 24 Pan pair would be awesome!

tomcody
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Bit the Bullet! new [Re: REC]
      #5666722 - 02/07/13 09:48 AM

Quote:

The 24 Pan pair would be awesome!

+1 for the Pan. ( I use 24, 19 and 15 Pans).
One point the Pan comes in old and new versions, the old one has straight (90 deg) edges on the nosepiece barrel undercut, the new one has a taper on the edge closest to the body of the eyepiece (to prevent snagging), I suggest matching them if you buy a second one.
Rex

tomcody
Carpal Tunnel

#5666759 - 02/07/13 10:09 AM

One other thing to mention, a number of people have dropped the MarKV's when they did not properly secure the quick release coupling! I suggest you practice attaching/detaching it until you can do it with your eyes closed to simulate dark conditions.
Rex

Edited by tomcody (02/07/13 10:11 AM)

choran
Carpal Tunnel

#5666770 - 02/07/13 10:17 AM

Rex, on another point, I am strongly considering a DM4 to mount the NP101.
Wondering if you think the extra weight of the binoviewers and so forth would point instead to the DM6, or if you have knowledge as to whether the DM4 would be sufficient?

tomcody
Carpal Tunnel

#5666892 - 02/07/13 11:20 AM

I use the DM6 for my 4" refractors and it is overkill for that size scope, but I have a lot of trouble holding on to things ( my hands shake a lot) so I wanted the extra holding power of the bigger mount ( to prevent quick scope movements if I let go of somthing as I change parts out) . For your size scope the DM 4 should be fine, you should consider if portability or future carrying capacity is more important to you.
Rex

Edited by tomcody (02/07/13 12:06 PM)

DaveJ
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/07/05

Loc: NE Ohio
      #5666986 - 02/07/13 12:14 PM

Quote:

Well, I bit the bullet and just ordered a Baader Mark V, 1.25x compensator, T2 diagonal, 2" nosepiece, and the 2" Advanced Convertible Barlow that replaced (I believe) the Barcon. Now I'll just have to see how it works in a Televue 85 and NP101. Keeping my fingers crossed. Figuring that the 1.25 probably won't bring it to focus, but the Barlow will. We'll see. Decided to go with the Barlow rather than the 1.7 compensator. Hope I was right. Again, we'll see! LOL

You have the exact setup that I'm using and I love it! I also have Denk IIs and Siebert Black Night binoviewers, but the Mark V is in another class altogether - superior in every way as far as I'm concerned. They're the ones that catch all the photons for me. I saw that you're considering the 24mm Panoptics and I must add to those that say that's a wonderful choice. After a lot of hoopla on the eyepiece forum, I also picked up a pair of Sterling 25mm Plössls and have to say that they're pretty good, too! Really sharp but not nearly as wide an AFOV as the pans. For $45 each, they're something to try without breaking the bank.

In my opinion, you couldn't have done better with your bino selection and purchase!

Paul G
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/08/03

Loc: Freedonia
      #5667034 - 02/07/13 12:47 PM

Quote:

I have a pretty good eyepiece array, but most are unsuitable for use in the binoviewer. Have 40mm Televue Plosssl, 31 Nagler, 24 Panoptic, 20 televue Plossl, 17, 13, 10 Ethos, 6 Delos, 5 TMB, 3.7 Ethos.

My though is to team up the Panoptic with another, check out the system, and if satisfactory, go from there. Suggestions welcome.

Still have nagging doubts this setup will be optimal for my needs given the scopes I will be utilizing, but the only way to know for sure is to try. I was assured that if it's a no-go, it can go back, though I'd hate to go that route.

The 24 Pans are great bv eyepieces. For shorter fl I use the 16 t5, the t6 Naglers and a couple of Radians most of the time. I've never bv'd with Ethos or Delos, would be neat to try.

choran
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Bit the Bullet! new [Re: Paul G]
      #5669604 - 02/08/13 06:48 PM

I'll have to wait a bit on delivery. They have everything in stock except the convertible Barlow. It will all ship at once, probably in a week or so. Onward!!

choran
Carpal Tunnel

#5672967 - 02/10/13 08:03 PM

Rex, I'm holding my 24 panoptic in my hand horizontal to the floor looking at it, and here's what I see, left to right: Eyecup, black body, flat chrome base plate, then the chrome sleeve starts, then about 3/32" shoulder that appears straight to me, then the sleeve continues, and about 1/4" further down is a bevel where the tube widens a bit, then comes the end of the tube. Is this bevel what you are talking about?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TG, Geo557, Joe C 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 964

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics