Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Pentax 7XW new
      #5664177 - 02/05/13 07:09 PM

Went to the scope shop to pick up my CG4 mount, which I had motorized (THAT'S gonna be a learning curve), and saw it setting in the case, actually saw a few. Apparently, the other day when the guy brought in his XWs for consignment, he had a change of heart and kept some of them. But, She still had a 7mm and 5mm XW still there for $289 apiece. I just couldn't stop myself and picked up the 7mm as I am finding that here in Denver, for the most part, that pretty much is the max for day-in day-out here (and why I passed on the 5mm). This is a like new in box lens that has been well taken care of. WhooHoo--but those high sirrus clouds are moving in as I type.......

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Scanning4Comets
Markus

Reged: 12/26/04

Re: Pentax 7XW new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5664246 - 02/05/13 07:57 PM

Good choice on the lens. You're going to want most of them now, LOL! As for field curvature, I can only see a lot in the 14mm, barely ANY in the 20mm.

Cheers,

Mike B
Starstruck

Reged: 04/06/05

Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA
      #5664329 - 02/05/13 09:13 PM

Congrats on the 7XW, Randy! I'm betting you'll like it- a 10mm XW was my intro to the series, and i've been astounded at how "Ortho-like" its views are. Been watching the "used" bins for a 7XW, but they are scarce therein... wonder why.

Not sure what star exploded to create such fine raw material... just glad Pentax got the stuff!

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/08

Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA
Re: Pentax 7XW new [Re: Mike B]
      #5664502 - 02/05/13 11:44 PM

I sense a 'Pentax party' brewing... Must.. resist... heaping... effusive praise on expensive, elitist eyepieces!

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Pentax 7XW new [Re: Starman81]
      #5664804 - 02/06/13 08:41 AM

Uh, She still has another 7XW for $289, guy who consigned them used bionviewers all the time. I would have preferred the 10mm; but those are two he kept. Obviously clouds last night, and predicted tonight, and SNOW for the weekend! Once the weather clears, maybe next month's star party, I'd like to take all my 7mm's out for a head-to-head and throw in the 6.7 ES82 for good measure.

WStewart
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/02/05

Loc: Dallas, TX
      #5665004 - 02/06/13 11:10 AM

I'd be interested in hearing about how that 7mm stacks up against the ES 6.7

If you're still interested in the 10mm, Adorama has them for $279.95

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Pentax 7XW new [Re: WStewart]
      #5665169 - 02/06/13 12:39 PM

Oh, I'm always interested; but my bank account "astro fund" is now into negative numbers, Since the beginning of the year I've bought three T1 Naglers, Motorized the CG4, and the Pentax 7mm (One of the Naglers and the Pentax were more impusle buy, the Nagler to complete the set, the Pentax....because its a Pentax...), so it's going to be awhile before I can get anything else...other half is now starting every astro conversation with "It isn't the money, but..". She has a point though. Just wish the weather would clear up so I could look THROUGH the equipment, instead of AT it....really looking forward to clear skies as I'd like to do a 7mm Head to Head write-up on the 7mm T1 Nagler, Pentax XW, UO HD Ortho, and the 6.7 ES 82....Maybe run into someone with a 7mmT6 Nagler and throw it in too.

Scanning4Comets
Markus

#5665324 - 02/06/13 01:56 PM Attachment (9 downloads)

Quote:

I'd be interested in hearing about how that 7mm stacks up against the ES 6.7

If you're still interested in the 10mm, Adorama has them for $279.95

I did a head-to-head on both. it was only one night , which is not enough for a real evaluation. I had the 6.7mm before I got the 7mm XW. The 7mm XW has remained in my eyepiece case ever since, and the 6.7mm is long gone.

I will say this though: The 7mm was a bit sharper across the entire field and comfort was a lot better than the 6.7mm, However, I did find the 6.7mm still good. ES makes some pretty nice eyepieces.

Quote:

Oh, I'm always interested; but my bank account "astro fund" is now into negative numbers, Since the beginning of the year I've bought three T1 Naglers, Motorized the CG4, and the Pentax 7mm (One of the Naglers and the Pentax were more impusle buy, the Nagler to complete the set, the Pentax....because its a Pentax...), so it's going to be awhile before I can get anything else...other half is now starting every astro conversation with "It isn't the money, but..". She has a point though. Just wish the weather would clear up so I could look THROUGH the equipment, instead of AT it....really looking forward to clear skies as I'd like to do a 7mm Head to Head write-up on the 7mm T1 Nagler, Pentax XW, UO HD Ortho, and the 6.7 ES 82....Maybe run into someone with a 7mmT6 Nagler and throw it in too.

I hear ya on this bro! I keep saying to myself "Ok, I'm done" with gear, but I look online every day, because I LOVE shopping for gear. I had to literally CUT some credit cards up with scissors last year only to sign up for another one last week. It should be in the mail soon.

Cheers,

stratocaster
sage

Reged: 10/27/11

Re: Pentax 7XW new [Re: Scanning4Comets]
      #5665336 - 02/06/13 02:01 PM

I had compared my 5mm XW with my ES 4.7. No doubt the XW was better, but the ES was very good as well. I still have both eyepieces - I keep the ES for wider field viewing at high power.

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5665348 - 02/06/13 02:07 PM

Truthfully, that makes sense. The XW is a 70* FOV and the ES is 82*, so I would expect the XW to be sharper thru the FOV (especially for the price). It's really looking like I'll take my 6.7 and use it in my refractor and use the XW in the dob due to balancing the refractor. Never thought my ES82* 1.25" eye pieces would be my primary refractor set (not that I won't us them in the Dob). One thing I do like about the XW is its eye relief and that Zilla-sized lens!!

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Re: Pentax 7XW new [Re: stratocaster]
      #5665350 - 02/06/13 02:07 PM

Quote:

I had compared my 5mm XW with my ES 4.7. No doubt the XW was better, but the ES was very good as well. I still have both eyepieces - I keep the ES for wider field viewing at high power.

I had thoughts about this after letting go of my 6.7mm ES, but the difference in field isn't really all that much. The 6.7m is actually a 7mm eyepiece and the 4.7mm is actually a 5mm eyepiece. I drift timed both.

7mm XW = 26.25' (My 7mm XW is actually a 7.5mm EP drift timed)

6.7mm ES = 28.77'

WStewart
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/02/05

Loc: Dallas, TX
      #5665470 - 02/06/13 03:03 PM

Quote:

I did a head-to-head on both. it was only one night , which is not enough for a real evaluation. I had the 6.7mm before I got the 7mm XW. The 7mm XW has remained in my eyepiece case ever since, and the 6.7mm is long gone.

I will say this though: The 7mm was a bit sharper across the entire field and comfort was a lot better than the 6.7mm, However, I did find the 6.7mm still good. ES makes some pretty nice eyepieces.

Thanks, Markus.

Stephen S
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/21/07

Loc: Evansville, IN
Re: Pentax 7XW [Re: Scanning4Comets]
      #5666221 - 02/06/13 11:11 PM

Quote:

I hear ya on this bro! I keep saying to myself "Ok, I'm done" with gear, but I look online every day, because I LOVE shopping for gear. I had to literally CUT some credit cards up with scissors last year only to sign up for another one last week. It should be in the mail soon.

Glad to know I'm not the only one...

"Hi, my name is Steve (hi Steve). It's been three days since I last bought a piece of astronomy equipment."

I've bought and sold more than I care to acknowledge. The one eyepiece I can't imagine ever selling is my 7mm Pentax XW. My favorite of the XWs and my favorite eyepiece overall.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Pentax 7XW new [Re: Stephen S]
      #5666634 - 02/07/13 08:33 AM

"Hi, my name is Steve (hi Steve). It's been three days since I last bought a piece of astronomy equipment."

Three Days? OMG, it must be very painful....maybe just a small ortho for some temporary relief?

Mike B
Starstruck

#5666949 - 02/07/13 11:51 AM

Quote:

....maybe just a small ortho for some temporary relief?

Or you could try my remedy: scrounge dumpsters behind Walmart for discarded micro-fiber rags. It meets the "astro-accessory" definition, and can sometimes postpone the onset of DSWS*.

*DSWS: dark-sky withdrawal symptoms

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Pentax 7XW new [Re: Mike B]
      #5666956 - 02/07/13 11:57 AM

I prefer the dumpsters behing Pearle Optical myself; dumpster dive American....

Scanning4Comets
Markus

#5667121 - 02/07/13 01:48 PM

Maybe try a dumpster behind an astronomy store. You might get lucky and find some eyepieces at the bottom of the heap. That should help.

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5667136 - 02/07/13 01:53 PM

Well, until recently, there were a lot of empty eyepiece boxes....now, not even an eyecup......

Mike B
Starstruck

#5667174 - 02/07/13 02:15 PM

Maybe not an eyecup... but at Pearle Optical you should find, perhaps, an eyeglass

Stephen S
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/21/07

Loc: Evansville, IN
Re: Pentax 7XW [Re: Scanning4Comets]
      #5667225 - 02/07/13 02:47 PM

Quote:

Maybe try a dumpster behind an astronomy store. You might get lucky and find some eyepieces at the bottom of the heap.

I wish! The closest astronomy store is a 12 hour drive away. Then again, perhaps that's a good thing given my affliction?

I'm actually picking up a new pair of eyeglasses later tonight (seriously). Never thought about taking a peek out back to see what they might have discarded.

Must resist the temptation...

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
13 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Scott in NC, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1400

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics