Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Clubs and Star Parties

Pages: << 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | >> (show all)
Spaced
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/01/05

Loc: Tacoma, Washington, USA
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: Dragonwatcher]
      #5665729 - 02/06/13 05:45 PM

Ram, lovely Markarian image! For some reason my eye was caught by several of the star chains. Really nice.

Jackie, wouldja just cut it out, pulleaze!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
zerro1
Postmaster

Reged: 08/02/09

Loc: Smokey Point , 48.12°N 122.25...
      #5666029 - 02/06/13 09:16 PM

Quote:

I'm SORRY! I just committed to buy a 14" ultralight dob so the bad weather can be blamed on me!

OH! YOU ARE in so much trouble ... my first mobile (Imaging)outing in months planned for this weekend and you threw us all under the bus

BradleyB
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/01/06

Loc: Olympia, WA
      #5666235 - 02/06/13 11:24 PM

I'm headed to San Diego for a few days Sat, so I'm not concerned about the weather here (supposed to be another high with low clouds), but no chance to get out of town. I want to know about your new scope coming. What is it?

Brad

Quote:

I'm SORRY! I just committed to buy a 14" ultralight dob so the bad weather can be blamed on me!

Sean Puett
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/06/10

Loc: always cloudy, washington
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: BradleyB]
      #5666682 - 02/07/13 09:15 AM

Congrats Jackie.

Dragonwatcher
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/21/08

Loc: Coupeville, WA
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: BradleyB]
      #5666950 - 02/07/13 11:51 AM

Quote:

I'm headed to San Diego for a few days Sat, so I'm not concerned about the weather here (supposed to be another high with low clouds), but no chance to get out of town. I want to know about your new scope coming. What is it?

Brad

Quote:

I just committed to a Hubble Ultralight I got on AM. It is only 48 lbs and it collapses into small size for storage. The owner says you can carry it like a (50 lbs) suitcase. It comes with a "sandwiche" mirror which - according to vendor propaganda - cools so much faster than a standard mirror that no fan is required. It is open truss so I will use a shroud if needed. Basically, the very experienced owner says it puts up terrific views and is very portable. Sold me. I never imagined I could get such a large dob as such a reasonable weight. And it was pretty cheap!

The only hangup is paying for it. A few months ago, somebody got my family credit card number and charged a few items on it. We cancelled. Then last week, same thing on my personal credit card. Cancelled. Now I am waiting for the new credit card so I can add it to my PayPal account and complete the purchase. Luckily, the seller is understanding.

If things works as well as I hope, it will probably make my Uti surplus. But we shall see.

rainycityastro
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/29/10

Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: MadHungarian]
      #5666968 - 02/07/13 12:03 PM

Quote:

According to Google Maps, we have Umtanum Creek Recreational Area at 46.855518,-120.483316. Was that the one?

Looks like a fair bit of hill action around it, but probably still some good sky exposure. According to Google Maps terrain view, the nearby hills go up about 600' or so, and are about 2000' away on average. So that probably gets us down to 15 degrees or so above horizon?

I believe this is the one. If I recall correctly, the south was basically unobstructed. There is the canyon to the west but pretty good exposure still.

The weather for tomorrow is looking good so far. Clear Dark Sky is predicting decent transparency though not great. I think it is worth making the pilgrimage.

Spaced
Post Laureate

#5666975 - 02/07/13 12:06 PM

The new 14" sounds very interesting!

Jackie, I still think you could earn a few bucks and do a wonderful service by making your UTI available for rental. For instance, I'm hoping to go to the Southern Skies SP (Bolivia) the year after next, and I'd really like to take SweetAnne to the Winter Star Party but it's too far to drive.

Dragonwatcher
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: Spaced]
      #5667066 - 02/07/13 01:12 PM

Mike,

Not speaking of you of course, but a) rental equipment really gets banged up quickly & soon shows all the hands it has been through, and b) I really could use the sale money if I don't need a scope. As long as I own it, I would certainly consider free loans to people I know on this forum. But remember, this is the longer focal length version that doesn't meet airline size restrictions like the shorter focal length Uti. It is lightweight but longer & without breakdown case. You would need the shorter focal length for Bolivia probably. What I like about the longer focal length is that paracorr becomes optional.

MadHungarian
sage

Reged: 11/18/10

Loc: Rainy WA
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: rainycityastro]
      #5667238 - 02/07/13 02:55 PM

Quote:

I believe this is the one. If I recall correctly, the south was basically unobstructed. There is the canyon to the west but pretty good exposure still.
The weather for tomorrow is looking good so far. Clear Dark Sky is predicting decent transparency though not great. I think it is worth making the pilgrimage.

I think i'll risk a pilgrimage there too, Friday night. I think i've been there a couple times in the past, during the daytime.
At the moment, it certainly looks like better skies than locally. Looks like a 2-3 hour drive from Bothell, i guess.

Spaced
Post Laureate

#5667394 - 02/07/13 04:11 PM

No promises but it's looking > 50/50 that I'll wander over too. The fly in the ointment is that the truck is currently having some important work done that won't be finished until tomorrow afternoon, which means my headlights & I arrive well after dark. Sorry, if that's the way it sorts out.

I checked out the place on Google Earth. I like that it's toward the north end of the canyon -- well north of the bright Yakima valley -- and appears to have a pretty good southern exposure.

Forecasts for Yakima and Ellensburg predict no fog.

What you say, Jackie, makes perfect sense.

Stacy
Star Partyer

Reged: 09/15/02

#5667502 - 02/07/13 05:11 PM

Quote:

I just committed to a Hubble Ultralight I got on AM. It is only 48 lbs and it collapses into small size for storage. The owner says you can carry it like a (50 lbs) suitcase. It comes with a "sandwiche" mirror which - according to vendor propaganda - cools so much faster than a standard mirror that no fan is required. It is open truss so I will use a shroud if needed. Basically, the very experienced owner says it puts up terrific views and is very portable. Sold me. I never imagined I could get such a large dob as such a reasonable weight. And it was pretty cheap!

The only hangup is paying for it. A few months ago, somebody got my family credit card number and charged a few items on it. We cancelled. Then last week, same thing on my personal credit card. Cancelled. Now I am waiting for the new credit card so I can add it to my PayPal account and complete the purchase. Luckily, the seller is understanding.

If things works as well as I hope, it will probably make my Uti surplus. But we shall see.

That the one from Crazy Dave? I bought a 35 Pan from him once. Nice guy!

rainycityastro
professor emeritus

#5667579 - 02/07/13 06:02 PM

Great! I look forward to a mini star party in the middle of winter!

Dragonwatcher
Carpal Tunnel

#5667686 - 02/07/13 07:09 PM

Stacy,

Yep, it will come from Dave A. Seems very accommodating and patient & has a ton of good feedback.

MadHungarian
sage

Reged: 11/18/10

Loc: Rainy WA
      #5667746 - 02/07/13 07:54 PM

Quote:

Great! I look forward to a mini star party in the middle of winter!

Mind you, it WILL be a little chilly. Mid 20's in the night.

Spaced
Post Laureate

#5667834 - 02/07/13 08:46 PM

Quote:

Mind you, it WILL be a little chilly. Mid 20's in the night.

. . . and 10 - 15 mph north wind. Bundle up! I'll bring a camp stove and water for coffee & tea, handwarmers, warm clothes and footgear, pretty much everything designed to keep this guy warm. I'll be happy to share the warm beverages. Bring your favorite teas, coffees, insulated mugs, etc.

The truck should be finished in time. I didn't mention that I'll be attending a 2PM funeral. I'll be lucky to be out of here by 4:30.

bluedandelion
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/17/07

Loc: Hazy Hollow, Western WA
      #5667844 - 02/07/13 08:53 PM

Wish I could go, but I really can't get away till summer.

Ajay

zerro1
Postmaster

Reged: 08/02/09

Loc: Smokey Point , 48.12°N 122.25...
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: bluedandelion]
      #5667925 - 02/07/13 09:53 PM Attachment (9 downloads)

I was thinking everyone was talking Saturday night? I don't think I'll be able to swing Friday Night. Too many loose ends and the Deville is mad at me for ignoring the old gal since I got my pickup. It's running but the digital dash is black...

EDIT: but I did get something last night
quick process, just over and hour of data
M81

Edited by zerro1 (02/08/13 08:56 AM)

SteveG
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/27/06

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: zerro1]
      #5669069 - 02/08/13 01:38 PM

If it's clear, I might hit Rattlesnake Lake tonight.

Spaced
Post Laureate

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: SteveG]
      #5669226 - 02/08/13 02:54 PM

Ah, c'mon, Steve, drive another 1.5 hr. and join us at Umptaneum Creek! You won't be the only one arriving after dark.

rainycityastro
professor emeritus

#5669245 - 02/08/13 03:07 PM

Quote:

. . . and 10 - 15 mph north wind. Bundle up! I'll bring a camp stove and water for coffee & tea, handwarmers, warm clothes and footgear, pretty much everything designed to keep this guy warm. I'll be happy to share the warm beverages. Bring your favorite teas, coffees, insulated mugs, etc.

Yes, it will be cold but there is rarely any wind in that location. The canyon protects us pretty well. Imaging would be hard in 15mph winds.
Forecast is looking great! Look forward to meeting all of you at the Umtanum Campground off Yakima Canyon Road. (I believe that is what is called). There is enough place for numerous cars there. Interestingly I've never been there during the day so dont know what it looks like.
I will likely leave Seattle around 6pm and get there around 8ish. Apologize in advance for some white light around then.

Do note that there is little/no 3g with only spotty phone service. Just one more thing to keep in mind.

Pages: << 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | >> (show all)

Extra information
10 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  darklighteditor 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 70710

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics