Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
Re: I Want to go on a Astronomy Vacation ! Any Tips? new [Re: elisek]
      #5698570 - 02/24/13 04:43 PM

Tonapah, NV. Or, you can drive from Tonapah to Ely, NV and stay anywhere along the way.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
JayinUT
I'm not Sleepy

Reged: 09/19/08

Loc: Utah
Re: I Want to go on a Astronomy Vacation ! Any Tips? new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5698571 - 02/24/13 04:45 PM

Great Basin Natl Park in September is a good one. Bryce Natl Park in June is always goods. You could do the grand tour, Arches, Canyonlands, Monument Valley, Zion, Byrce, Capital Reef and then Great Basin. Plenty to do during the day and night. I'd plan on 2 to 3 weeks and plan on camping. You could also go to The Wedge which is very very dark and is known as the Little Grand Canyon. Tony is right, even in the summer our desert here is a cold desert so bring some warm clothes.

Edited by JayinUT (02/24/13 04:46 PM)

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: I Want to go on a Astronomy Vacation ! Any Tips? new [Re: elisek]
      #5699682 - 02/25/13 11:21 AM

Well, by "Astronomy Vacation" do you mean a vacation in which the sole or primary recreational activity is astronomical observing, or rather a vacation with lots of interesting things to see and do in daylight, that also involves great observing at night? If the latter. think about what kinds of daytime activities you like, and chose a dark sky vacation spot that is conducive to those activities.

Also, do you like to camp or do you prefer to stay in a hotel/motel? Will you fly or drive? Do you have any special dietary or health care needs/requirements?

My club, OFLI, does a big astronomy vacation each year. Here are our last two trip reports. Either of these trips would have been fine solo as well, though both destinations are pretty far away for you, so I offer these as illustrations of the kinds of places we go and the kinds of things we do there.

http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=2673

http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=2804

Were I coming from Massachusetts, driving and planning on camping, and wanting an interesting place to hike, camp, sightsee and observe, I would probably choose either NW, Chaco Canyon area, or SE, Carlsbad Caverns area, New Mexico or NW Texas, Fort Davis area near the McDonald Observatory.

Regards,

Jim

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: I Want to go on a Astronomy Vacation ! Any Tips? new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5699743 - 02/25/13 12:00 PM

+1 on New Mexico....the skies don't get much clearer and darker then that anywheres.......

Gvs

Reged: 05/19/11

Loc: Texas
Re: I Want to go on a Astronomy Vacation ! Any Tips? new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5700110 - 02/25/13 03:49 PM

Here are another set of options:

http://www.nyaa.ca/gfx/Sky24_starparties.pdf

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
7 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1638

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics