Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
ReiverSkies

Reged: 09/23/11

Loc: St Andrews, Scotland
New AZ EQ6GT mount arrived
      #5666868 - 02/07/13 11:04 AM

I've just bought the new EQ6GT mount and am very impressed with how smooth it is. Here's an image of M81 M82 I've taken using 1m exposures and no guiding

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
StephenW

Reged: 02/04/05

Loc: San Jose, CA
Re: New AZ EQ6GT mount arrived new [Re: ReiverSkies]
      #5667386 - 02/07/13 04:06 PM

Very impressive. Have you you tried longer subs?

I've ordered the Orion version - was meant to ship this week but looks likes it's slipped out a week.

Would be very interested in hearing what PE you are seeing and what your thoughts are in generasl about the mount!

Steve

LTE

Reged: 12/15/12

Loc: Scotland
Re: New AZ EQ6GT mount arrived new [Re: StephenW]
      #5667485 - 02/07/13 05:02 PM

I have also just received an AZ-EQ6, for visual use in Altaz mode with an 8in Newtonian for variable stars. Have not had it out yet but it seems so smooth and steady on indoors test.
I am also at St Andrews, incidentally.

Tom.

HowardK
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/20/10

Re: New AZ EQ6GT mount arrived new [Re: LTE]
      #5667508 - 02/07/13 05:14 PM

Tom

Do post your experience in alt az please

ReiverSkies

Re: New AZ EQ6GT mount arrived new [Re: HowardK]
      #5668351 - 02/08/13 05:24 AM

St Andrews? small place. Didn't see an EQ6 GT at the Stargazing Live event. Or talk about one other than from me. Are you part of a local society or the university?

Dave

LTE

#5669273 - 02/08/13 03:25 PM

University - I research Magellanic Cloud variables by day.
At home, I observe for the AAVSO, hence LTE. That is what I was doing on the Stargazing Live night.
Will post when I have had a suitable night, all late starts recently and so I stick with the familiar gear.
Tom.

ReiverSkies

#5670279 - 02/09/13 08:21 AM

oh cool although i suspect you've made it rather tricky for yourself trying to observe the lmc from 56 degrees North

Seriously, did you have a curry with me when Rob Massey was in town?

LTE

#5671138 - 02/09/13 06:03 PM

Hi Dave

I no longer observe the LMC but still have observations from my time in the Southern Hemisphere, and I data mine the large quantity of high quality data on the Web.
No, I never met you or Rob Massey.
It does not look as though I will get to try out the mount in the next week either, terrible forecast!

Tom.

ReiverSkies

#5735508 - 03/16/13 04:23 AM

Are you at the open evening today?

frolinmod
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/06/10

Loc: Southern California
      #5739756 - 03/17/13 10:06 PM

I got out with my new Sky-Watcher AZ-EQ6 GT SynScan for the first time today, ostensibly for Solar outreach. I had two solar scopes mounted side-by-side, one on the main dovetail and one on the counterweight shaft dovetail.

I confirmed that the adjustment mechanism provided by counterweight shaft adapter for the dovetail on the counterweight shaft is indeed woefully insufficient just as I suspected it might be. I was hoping it would work better than it looked like it would, but it was not to be. Fortunately I brought an ADM Accessories MAX-M with me and I used that. The MAX-M of course works perfectly in every respect.

If you turn the wrong "face" of the head North for your home position you get very funny pointing (as in pointing down rather than up). Doh. Lesson quickly learned.

If you park the mount to home position, turn the mount off, turn the mount back on and answer "yes" to "resume from park?", then the directional keys become inoperative. Answer "no" instead and everything works okay. Bug?

Nothing to do with the mount, but I also noticed that my ScopeStuff sun shades don't shade any sun in ALT/AZ mode because in ALT/AZ mode they stick out horizontally rather than vertically as they do in EQ mode. I need to fabricate some "L" mounting brackets to bring them back around to vertical.

johnpd
sage

Reged: 04/13/08

Re: New AZ EQ6GT mount arrived new [Re: frolinmod]
      #5740128 - 03/18/13 05:39 AM

{"I confirmed that the adjustment mechanism provided by counterweight shaft adapter for the dovetail on the counterweight shaft is indeed woefully insufficient just as I suspected it might be. I was hoping it would work better than it looked like it would, but it was not to be. Fortunately I brought an ADM Accessories MAX-M with me and I used that. The MAX-M of course works perfectly in every respect."}

Yes, they say in the manual that there is no azimuth adjustment for the secondary scope adapter. There is some adjustment for altitude.

{If you turn the wrong "face" of the head North for your home position you get very funny pointing (as in pointing down rather than up). Doh. Lesson quickly learned.}

Right. The primary scope must be on the right side pointed north when you are facing north.

{If you park the mount to home position, turn the mount off, turn the mount back on and answer "yes" to "resume from park?", then the directional keys become inoperative. Answer "no" instead and everything works okay. Bug?}

I remember my mount going off in a strange direction when trying to resume from park in EQ mode. I don't recall how I had set up it before doing that. I never tried resuming in Alt-Az mode. What firmware version do you have?

JohnD

frolinmod
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/06/10

Loc: Southern California
Re: New AZ EQ6GT mount arrived new [Re: johnpd]
      #5740832 - 03/18/13 02:31 PM

Quote:

What firmware version do you have?

I have firmware version 3.34 in the SynScan hand controller. I'm not sure what motor firmware the mount itself has.

The more I use this mount, the more I like it. Of course, I originally thought the same thing about my EQ6, but I like this mount even more.

Mike X.
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/28/10

Loc: Greece-Athens and Rome-Italy
Re: New AZ EQ6GT mount arrived new [Re: frolinmod]
      #5741014 - 03/18/13 03:55 PM

So you guys think it can handle the same capacity the EQ6 does in EQ mode?

timmbottoni
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/25/05

Loc: W Chicago suburbs, IL USA
Re: New AZ EQ6GT mount arrived new [Re: Mike X.]
      #5741824 - 03/18/13 09:40 PM

Nice pic!!!! And congrats on the mount!

Timm

Pages: 1

Extra information
26 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1846

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics