Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
iceblazeModerator
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/15/11

Loc: 33.9° N, 118.4° W Lawndale, ...
Re: My 14" LX850 is Shipping!!! new [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #5676245 - 02/12/13 04:42 PM

Guys & Gals,

Please, no more disrespectful posts toward each other. Be nice (and on topic) from here on out. You can disagree without being disrespectful.

Thanks,

-James

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
galaxy_jason
Vendor

Reged: 05/22/07

Loc: Texas
Re: My 14" LX850 is Shipping!!! new [Re: EFT]
      #5676739 - 02/12/13 10:41 PM

Quote:

the possibility that the design and implementation of the system could prove difficult.

You are way over thinking this. The crayford focuser on the OTA is still there and (at least on the two samples I have seen) works very well. There is no shift during focus and the fine control provides precise focus. However, holding the big 14" mirror becomes problematic with gravity changes (although they tell me they have made improvements even beyond the sample(s) I have.) For the 14" they added the mirror lock. Since you can't focus with the OTA knob when locked they through in the electric focuser. I think they are shiping one with all the scopes as well. It's OK for most people but for those who want temp control, digital precision, knock yourself out and upgrade.

frozen.kryo

Reged: 01/28/11

Loc: East of the Sun, West of the M...
Re: My 14" LX850 is Shipping!!! new [Re: iceblaze]
      #5676744 - 02/12/13 10:44 PM

Does anyone remember if the LX800s had spring loaded wormblocks? Maybe belt driven worms to counter backlash?

I'm primarily concerned about the backlash in DEC. My current mount is fine. It's able to guide to below seeing, but I still have countless subs ruined by wind buffets causing DEC elongation. I can see my phd graph go crazy in DEC caused by the wind.

I'm thinking new mounts should all have backlash elimination features, hence my posted question above.

If anyone knows anything, please do chime in.

galaxy_jason
Vendor

Re: My 14" LX850 is Shipping!!! new [Re: ahopp]
      #5676745 - 02/12/13 10:46 PM

Quote:

Rickety, I do not care if it looks like the leaning tower of Piza,

I can tell you that the 14" on the LX850 is more solid than my 12" RCX 400.

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: My 14" LX850 is Shipping!!! new [Re: galaxy_jason]
      #5676754 - 02/12/13 10:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:

the possibility that the design and implementation of the system could prove difficult.

You are way over thinking this. The crayford focuser on the OTA is still there and (at least on the two samples I have seen) works very well. There is no shift during focus and the fine control provides precise focus. However, holding the big 14" mirror becomes problematic with gravity changes (although they tell me they have made improvements even beyond the sample(s) I have.) For the 14" they added the mirror lock. Since you can't focus with the OTA knob when locked they through in the electric focuser. I think they are shiping one with all the scopes as well. It's OK for most people but for those who want temp control, digital precision, knock yourself out and upgrade.

Thanks Jason. That's good to hear. I would really like to see some kind of bearing system become standard for SCT primary mirrors. I know how I would build it, but then I tend to build things to last through a nuclear blast sometimes. So if their new system can throw around a 14 inch mirror with minimal shift due to the focusing mechanism itself (understanding that gravity always wins), that I think that will be a good advancement in the basic design of the SCT.

jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

Reged: 04/30/03

Loc: NE Ohio
      #5676779 - 02/12/13 11:14 PM

Quote:

I can tell you that the 14" on the LX850 is more solid than my 12" RCX 400.

That's a metric that I find encouraging. I had a 12" RCX here for six months and stability wasn't bad at all.

Pak

Reged: 09/15/12

Loc: The Great Arc
Re: My 14" LX850 is Shipping!!! new [Re: jrcrilly]
      #5677509 - 02/13/13 11:37 AM

Someone on the Lx850 yahoo group reports having the LX850 already.

Griffin!
sage

Reged: 09/12/10

Re: My 14" LX850 is Shipping!!! new [Re: Pak]
      #5678125 - 02/13/13 06:22 PM

And he's posted a first light image:

http://www.meade4m.com/index.php?/gallery/image/141-m81-first-light-with-lx85...

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: My 14" LX850 is Shipping!!! new [Re: Griffin!]
      #5678145 - 02/13/13 06:34 PM

Purty dang good, I'd say. Hey! Maybe Meade _is_ onto something!

psandelle
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/18/08

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: My 14" LX850 is Shipping!!! new [Re: rmollise]
      #5678217 - 02/13/13 07:22 PM

I sure hope so. Nothing's ever perfect, but it sure would be nice if this concept at least worked fairly well and wasn't just a pile of hurt. It's bad for everyone when things like this go horribly horribly wrong (as in the whole idea has to be shelved).

Paul

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
Re: My 14" LX850 is Shipping!!! new [Re: psandelle]
      #5678751 - 02/14/13 03:37 AM

Very nice first light! Congrats Glen if you are reading this thread.

ASTERON
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/24/07

Loc: ISRAEL
Re: My 14" LX850 is Shipping!!! new [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #5678778 - 02/14/13 05:06 AM

Tony,
May the mount gods be with you
We are looking forward to your first light report.

ahopp
sage

Reged: 05/24/12

Re: My 14" LX850 is Shipping!!! new [Re: ASTERON]
      #5678925 - 02/14/13 08:06 AM

Asteron, I will report ASAP w/Pictures and first light report.

Also, I got a call from Meade about my scope. I should have tracking info by midweek. And, he informed me that I had a $500 credit on Meade gear for all the trouble. I thought that was pretty cool and will spend the money on a 6000 series 80mm APO. Should make a nice little piggy-back scope.

Tony

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
Re: My 14" LX850 is Shipping!!! new [Re: ahopp]
      #5679249 - 02/14/13 11:31 AM

Quote:

Asteron, I will report ASAP w/Pictures and first light report.

Also, I got a call from Meade about my scope. I should have tracking info by midweek. And, he informed me that I had a $500 credit on Meade gear for all the trouble. I thought that was pretty cool and will spend the money on a 6000 series 80mm APO. Should make a nice little piggy-back scope.

Tony

Wow!! That is awesome!! I it is true that good things come to those who wait.

HunterofPhotons
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/26/08

Loc: Rhode Island, USA
      #5679309 - 02/14/13 12:04 PM

Quote:

And he's posted a first light image:

http://www.meade4m.com/index.php?/gallery/image/141-m81-first-light-with-lx85...

The color seems a bit washed out. <g>

dan k.

blueman
Photon Catcher

Reged: 07/20/07

Loc: California
      #5680343 - 02/14/13 10:36 PM

Stars are elongated and show peaks at each end. Guiding was not too great if you ask me. But hey, if it is good enough for you, go for it!
Blueman

Griffin!
sage

Reged: 09/12/10

Re: My 14" LX850 is Shipping!!! new [Re: blueman]
      #5680364 - 02/14/13 10:49 PM

He posted a follow up comment under his image regarding alignment. Personally I think the stars look great, but it'll be interesting to see what others get out of the mount.

"I did not take a lot of time aligning the scope, was in a rush to get something.
Next image will be after a more thorough alignment, and taking some flat fields. StarLock found a guide star and acquired it in a few seconds. The slew was so good that I didn't have to center it manually (that was an issue with the LX 800 - it would slew close enough for visual, but not for imaging.if the image seems off center, that is due to the cropping done to fit the gallery."

galaxy_jason
Vendor

Re: My 14" LX850 is Shipping!!! new [Re: blueman]
      #5680423 - 02/14/13 11:30 PM

Quote:

Stars are elongated and show peaks at each end. Guiding was not too great if you ask me. But hey, if it is good enough for you, go for it!
Blueman

I took this into photoshop and resampled it up 300 percent. This stars are a bit bean shaped which looks a bit like a collimation issue rather than guiding.

Pak

Reged: 09/15/12

Loc: The Great Arc
      #5687248 - 02/18/13 04:16 PM

I am looking forward to more reports. I am worried with only having one report back so far. Did everyone but Tony and Glen cancel their orders? Is everyone waiting to get reports before ordering? Granted only the 10" versions seem to have shipped so far. Hopefully next week we'll have more images to look at.

I would still like to see a nice starfield taken after auto-everything has been done and a nice sub of 10 minutes or so.

Just one unstacked in .tif and .fits format.

Auto calibrate Starlock.
Starlock assist drift align
Starlock assist PEC training.

10 minute sub.

Also as an aside. I have the pre-order going on the Celestron Starsense which is basically for pointing and alignment assist. I am interested in a comparison done between a $329.00 retail accessory add-on and a $5-7K mount's ability to center objects. Perhaps someone with the LX850 could run through 10 or so and snap off a photo of each object so we can see how centered they are.

Spacetravelerx
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/23/12

Loc: New Mexico
Re: My 14" LX850 is Shipping!!! new [Re: Pak]
      #5693310 - 02/21/13 06:38 PM

Hmmm, I guess there may be some "tweaking" to do with this first image, but for a quick set-up and "get that pict", I think it is quite amazing. No time spent loving, learning, and getting to know all the nuances of the LX850 - just a quick "date" and got the picture. Pretty good to me.

Now just patiently waiting for my 14" LX850...and MallinCam...and, oh you know the drill!

-- Andrew

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
23 registered and 36 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4761

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics