Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Dan McConaughy
sage

Reged: 11/11/06

Loc: LA
A-P 1600
      #5668064 - 02/07/13 11:05 PM

Has anyone used one? What do you think of it?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
WadeH237
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/24/07

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Re: A-P 1600 new [Re: Dan McConaughy]
      #5668209 - 02/08/13 12:49 AM

I have one in my basement waiting for some clear nights to shake it out.

The quality of workmanship is absolutely top notch. It is incredibly solid. On my Celestron mounts, you can grasp the counterweight shaft and feel the backlash in the gear train. Not so with the AP. There is no sign of detectable play anywhere. My largest scope is a C14. With that scope and all the trimmings set up for imaging, I'll probably be at about 70lb. This is less that 1/3 of the mount's rated capacity - and based on how it's built, they are probably being conservative about its capacity.

I have configured my software to work with it via the ASCOM driver. It's been driven around my basement plenty of times now. Tonight is the first clear and non-foggy night in months, but I've had to work with another mount. If the weather holds, I hope to get it out this weekend.

-Wade

JMW
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/11/07

Loc: Nevada
Re: A-P 1600 new [Re: WadeH237]
      #5668786 - 02/08/13 11:32 AM

Did you get the optical encoders for absolute positioning? If I ever have a great dark site permanent observatory, I would get the AP1600. I currently have a AP900GTO that I use on a concrete pier in a roll away shed. I bought it so I would have a mount small enough to take to summer multi-night star parties. My backyard observatory location is a bit bright to do all the RGB imaging I would like. With H alpha I can do 20-30 minute exposures at 2800mm on my C11 EdgeHD.

You will have no limitations for imaging with this mount.

WadeH237
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/24/07

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Re: A-P 1600 new [Re: JMW]
      #5670069 - 02/09/13 02:14 AM

I did not get the encoders.

I do automate my setup, but it's not remote. I mainly want to free up my time for visual observing (or sleep). If I had a remote setup, I would have opted for the encoders.

AP is working on homing and limit switches. When they offer them for sale, I am considering them.

Pages: 1

Extra information
9 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 656

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics