Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Classic Telescopes

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
terraclarke
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/29/12

Loc: Just South of the Mason-Dixon ...
Re: Classic "WOW FACTOR" Moments new [Re: Joe Cepleur]
      #5666744 - 02/07/13 09:59 AM Attachment (31 downloads)

Every time I look at this little pretty. This morning for instance when I was sitting in the dining room having breakfast. My eyes glanced toward the corner of the room and WOW

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jeff B
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/30/06

Re: Classic "WOW FACTOR" Moments new [Re: terraclarke]
      #5666851 - 02/07/13 10:58 AM

Quote:

Every time I look at this little pretty. This morning for instance when I was sitting in the dining room having breakfast. My eyes glanced toward the corner of the room and WOW

Nice scopes Terra.

So, how did you get them to stick to the wall like that?

tim53
Postmaster

Reged: 12/17/04

Loc: Highland Park, CA
Re: Classic "WOW FACTOR" Moments new [Re: starman876]
      #5666884 - 02/07/13 11:14 AM

I've got a number of classic moments. This first story doesn't involve a scope or even a pair of binoculars, though. But it probably was the turning point when I decided I "needed" a real telescope.

I was in the Rockies for a mountaineering school in summer, 1971. We were camped near the base of Mt Columbia at just under 12,000'. I think we'd spent about a week there because the purpose was to climb Mt Columbia under full moonlight, starting from camp at midnight so we could watch the sunrise.

The sunrise was pretty darn spectacular in it's own right, but that's not the wow moment I'm referring to. I can't remember whether it was the week before or the week after that we'd spent at that campsite. Probably week before, which would mean that we stayed up pretty late telling stories around the campfire at night. ...because on this particular night when I sashayed off into the wilderland to talk to a man about a dog, the moon was gone and it was really dark. Still, I didn't notice until I found my designated shrub and turned off my flashlight, so as not to advertise my location to the rest of the camp (who wouldn't have given me a moment of peace, i'm sure!).

Anyway, after my eyes adapted to the dark, I spent several minutes looking up into the sky. It was really dark. Looking around me, I couldn't see any detail at all - just slightly brighter dark blobs where rocks and bare soil were between shrubs. The most memorable sky event I saw was a double meteor. I don't think I've ever seen one since, either. Literally, two meteors impacting the atmosphere at the same time, maybe half a moon-diameter apart and streaking parallel lines across the sky.

When walking back to camp, I tried doing it without using the flashlight. I made it, but it was pretty comical. Since I couldn't tell rocks from bare dirt, I couldn't see how far away they were, so I stumbled a lot. But I took it slow and got back with nothing but starlight as a guide.

I've never seen the night sky that dark since, even while visiting the Rockies and other high-altitude localities. There's too much *BLEEP* in the atmosphere what with jet exhaust and other particulates.

I ordered my Optical Craftsmen 8" Discoverer from Dick Nelson 4 months later.

-Tim.

bremms
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/31/12

Loc: SC
Re: Classic "WOW FACTOR" Moments new [Re: tim53]
      #5667068 - 02/07/13 01:13 PM

That is a great story. +1
Terra, is that your yet unused 140? Hope you get first light soon. Love the way it looks with the Unihex

bremms
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Classic "WOW FACTOR" Moments new [Re: bremms]
      #5667075 - 02/07/13 01:16 PM

That's not a 140.. sorry. It's a 128? Dont know too much about them Uneetrons.. but the 140 is alt az I think

terraclarke
Post Laureate

Re: Classic "WOW FACTOR" Moments new [Re: bremms]
      #5667540 - 02/07/13 05:32 PM

We had sun today finally. Clear and warm all day. I spent much of the afternoon outside doing white light and h-alpha solar, mostly h-alpha, using vintage scopes (my 60 mm Monolux and the 76mm Sears. Didn't get any of the Unitrons out under the sun today, don't have a way yet to use my h-alpha gear or white light wedges with them yet.
Yup, that's the 128 in the photo, the 140 is bigger and alt-az and residing in another corner of the room.
We have our club meeting tonite but if I get a chance when I get home, the 128 will be trained on Jup.

Terra

starman876
Postmaster

Reged: 04/28/08

Loc: VA
      #5667635 - 02/07/13 06:36 PM

Now you do know that if you try real hard you will get what you need

Bonco
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/17/06

Loc: Florida
Re: Classic "WOW FACTOR" Moments new [Re: starman876]
      #5667839 - 02/07/13 08:50 PM Attachment (17 downloads)

Model 128

Bonco
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/17/06

Loc: Florida
Re: Classic "WOW FACTOR" Moments new [Re: Bonco]
      #5667840 - 02/07/13 08:51 PM Attachment (15 downloads)

Model 142

bremms
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Classic "WOW FACTOR" Moments new [Re: Bonco]
      #5667964 - 02/07/13 10:16 PM

I haven't looked at H Alpha gear in ages. I remember the Daystar filters that were heated and needed an F30 light cone.
WE had our local meeting this evening. I'm giving the talk next month. Lot of work to do..

Joe Cepleur
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/18/10

Loc: Dark North Woods
Re: Classic "WOW FACTOR" Moments [Re: Bonco]
      #5668335 - 02/08/13 04:24 AM

Quote:

Model 128

What's the silver pipe? A sight tube used as a finder?

mustgobigger
Postmaster

Reged: 06/12/07

Loc: Michigan
      #5668403 - 02/08/13 07:16 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Model 128

What's the silver pipe? A sight tube used as a finder?

its a rod for solar projection screens.

Joe Cepleur
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/18/10

Loc: Dark North Woods
Re: Classic "WOW FACTOR" Moments new [Re: mustgobigger]
      #5668497 - 02/08/13 08:52 AM

Quote:

its a rod for solar projection screens

!!!!!

Seemed kinda long and floppy to point reliably....

careysub
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/18/11

Loc: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Re: Classic "WOW FACTOR" Moments new [Re: clintwhitman]
      #5668633 - 02/08/13 10:03 AM

A memorable moment for me was in 1982, attending a star party at China Lake, California in the high desert, and seeing the Whirlpool Galaxy through a newly built Dobsonian (the first I had ever seen) with a 17.5" Coulter mirror.

It was a magical sight.

I said to myself right then - I've got to get me one of those someday!

But then graduate school, career and kids intervened, and I was out of the hobby until a few years ago. I currently am using my club's 22" Dobsonian for deep-sky but I have my 18" mirror (much better than the Coulter) with light-weight Dob designs under development.

terraclarke
Post Laureate

#5668640 - 02/08/13 10:10 AM

By the late 60s, early 70s the solar projection kit was offered as an optional accessory and the brackets were on tube rings on the 128 (eq). Early to mid1960s used brackets (two) that were similar to those on the 140/142 that were fit into pre-drilled holes in the ota. Prior to that there was a single bracket to hold the rod. This bracket was similar to a finder bracket in that it had two rings at either end of a single bar-foot that attached to the tube. Rods also varied over time solid bar type rods to hollow aluminum pipe and eventually to what was 1/2 inch aluminum electrical conduit stock near the end.

The Unihex was also an option, you could either have that or a star diagonal and a porro prism. Another variable over time was a aperture stop to be used with the sun filter. That was not part of earlier offerings. The objective cell has also differed over the years from being identical in 114 and 128 to the 128 as in Bill's picture being made along the same lines as the 3 inch photo equatorial with the provision for a counter balance. That is not often seen as a counter balance is really not necessary on a scope of that length/weight due to the fact that heavier accessories, namely the camera would rarely be used with a 60 mm scope. Two wheel vs one wheel focusers are also seen on different iterations of the 128.

The one distinguishing feature is that the 114 was always alt-az and the 128 was always eq., everything else at times was the same (other than variations in eyepieces provided). Even the equatorial mount evolved over time. The earliest 128 eps have no setting circles, which distinguished the 128 eq mount from all others, but this also changed by the late 60s. Size was also a distinguishing factor, but the 128 and the 142 were much closer in size (the mounts) than the 142 and the 152 which was much larger.

terraclarke
Post Laureate

#5668666 - 02/08/13 10:29 AM

Had one last night, a couple actually. After our meeting a half dozen or so of us went up and did a couple,of hours viewing with this puppy:

http://www.cincinnatiobservatory.org/Resources/080813_observatory-44.jpg

It's an 1843, 11 inch, F18 Merz refractor. Jupiter was amazing. The four Gallilean moons were perfect disks and we watched one reach Jupiters limb and then recede beneath it. That was a WOW. Jupiter itself with its bands, festoons, and faint red spot left of center was a wow. But I have never seen an occultation of one of Jupiters moons by Jupiter in such detail.

The Great Nebula in Orion was one of the best views I have ever seen. The contrast was excellent and you could see the tendrils and dark patches like they were in a photo.

WOW! I love classic scopes and I love long refractors!

mustgobigger
Postmaster

Reged: 06/12/07

Loc: Michigan
      #5668890 - 02/08/13 12:19 PM

Great Terra...One Day I need To visit A Observatory.
i Dod Have Some Great Views through a 32" Dob a Couple Years Back.

Bill Friend

Reged: 02/16/12

Loc: Maine
      #5669002 - 02/08/13 01:11 PM

Terra,

Definitely a WOW moment if there ever was one.

Speaking of classics... I noticed the in-transit Telementor in your sig. Please let us know how it compares to your other 60s!

Cheers,
Bill

clintwhitman
Caveman

Reged: 01/01/07

Loc: CALI SoEasyACavemanCanSlewIt
      #5670261 - 02/09/13 08:08 AM

Quote:

By the late 60s, early 70s the solar projection kit was offered as an optional accessory and the brackets were on tube rings on the 128 (eq). Early to mid1960s used brackets (two) that were similar to those on the 140/142 that were fit into pre-drilled holes in the ota. Prior to that there was a single bracket to hold the rod. This bracket was similar to a finder bracket in that it had two rings at either end of a single bar-foot that attached to the tube. Rods also varied over time solid bar type rods to hollow aluminum pipe and eventually to what was 1/2 inch aluminum electrical conduit stock near the end.

The Unihex was also an option, you could either have that or a star diagonal and a porro prism. Another variable over time was a aperture stop to be used with the sun filter. That was not part of earlier offerings. The objective cell has also differed over the years from being identical in 114 and 128 to the 128 as in Bill's picture being made along the same lines as the 3 inch photo equatorial with the provision for a counter balance. That is not often seen as a counter balance is really not necessary on a scope of that length/weight due to the fact that heavier accessories, namely the camera would rarely be used with a 60 mm scope. Two wheel vs one wheel focusers are also seen on different iterations of the 128.

The one distinguishing feature is that the 114 was always alt-az and the 128 was always eq., everything else at times was the same (other than variations in eyepieces provided). Even the equatorial mount evolved over time. The earliest 128 eps have no setting circles, which distinguished the 128 eq mount from all others, but this also changed by the late 60s. Size was also a distinguishing factor, but the 128 and the 142 were much closer in size (the mounts) than the 142 and the 152 which was much larger.

I just had a Wow Moment while reading your post on the particulars of Unitron design implementation!!
WOW AWESOME
(aveman

BarabinoSr
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/17/05

Loc: Slidell La
Re: Classic "WOW FACTOR" Moments new [Re: clintwhitman]
      #5670392 - 02/09/13 09:46 AM

Great Thread, Clint! My most remembered Classic Wow Factor moment happened the night when I witnessed first light looking through the 14.25" f/7 Coulter reflector I built in 1983. The objects were M51 The Whirlpool Galaxy, M97(Owl Nebula) and Jupiter viewed during late spring of that year.I used a converted 2-inch wide field military style eyepiece with that scope. I had just bought the mirror set the year before from a former Pontchartrain Astronomy Society member. My astronomical history is replete with such moments but that was one of the best!!! Gary

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
24 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), Brian Risley, Chuck Hards 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3368

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics