Speciality Forums >> Astro Art, Books, Websites & Other Media

Pages: 1
CounterWeight
Postmaster

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Palo alto, CA.
another haul today! incl 'Secret Deep' new
      #5668141 - 02/07/13 11:51 PM

Thanks to a late birthday pesent. Included in this haul was S.J. O'Meara "The Secret Deep", the 4th volume from his 'Deep Sky Companions' series - only have 3 of them including this. I guess the "Herschel 400 Observing Guide" is not part of that series. I had time to browse the intro and look at the first few entries... "OK this one's in the buy basket!". This another example of me paying more for a book $42- than the amazon price of $32-(at least today that is what it says) to keep a bookstore in the area. Some may think this foolish but I do really like looking at something in person before I buy whenever possible.

As with the other two (Deep Sky Companion Series), this one has it's own personality and qualifications for object membership. I'll say more after a lot more quality time with it.

As always, I'm interested in what others here think of it.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
BobinKy
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/27/07

Re: another haul today! incl 'Secret Deep' new [Re: CounterWeight]
      #5668145 - 02/07/13 11:55 PM

I have O'Meara's Secret Deep and Hidden Treasures, as well as the Herschel 400. I am thinking of getting another O'Meara title. Do you have any suggestions?

CounterWeight
Postmaster

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Palo alto, CA.
Re: another haul today! incl 'Secret Deep' new [Re: BobinKy]
      #5668164 - 02/08/13 12:10 AM

My first was his "The Messier Objects", that's the one that got me hooked. "Hidden Treasures" takes a very different approach, some like it, some don't? Count me in the like bunch. Somewhere in the last year or so I've managed to misplace / loose the volume on "Caldwell Objects", that's why I only have 3 of the 4. it was if I remember more like the "Messier Objects" volume. I didn't spend much time with it (i know i went as far as tagging 'too souther' objects for omission at the eyepiece) as I've been imaging so much and was 'treasure hunting'.

How do you like "The Secret Deep"?

Traveler
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/19/07

Loc: The Netherlands
Re: another haul today! incl 'Secret Deep' new [Re: CounterWeight]
      #5668321 - 02/08/13 03:58 AM

"Some may think this foolish but I do really like looking at something in person before I buy whenever possible."

+1
I like browsing in bookstores very much. In fact it is my only shopping thing i guess. ...ok and telescopesstores.

I like the Deepsky companions series a lot. Hoewever, the Messier book is the most book used book. Hidden Tressures and the Secret Deep are a little less used but also excellent to read.

To me, it is still a big lost for S&T that Stephen is not part of it anymore...

BobinKy
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/27/07

Re: another haul today! incl 'Secret Deep' [Re: Traveler]
      #5668684 - 02/08/13 10:43 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. I am considering picking up O'Meara's Messier book.

I like O'Meara's Secret Deep and Hidden Treasures. I prefer Hidden Treasures, but not really sure why. I have not read either book cover to cover--just flip around here and there.

From all of the favorable comments, I am sure that I will like his Messier book.

faackanders2
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/28/11

Re: another haul today! incl 'Secret Deep' new [Re: BobinKy]
      #5672879 - 02/10/13 07:05 PM

I have all O'Meara's DSO Series plus his H400.
I prefer the DSO series because of the hand drawings in addition to photos. I like them all. I initially used the M objects and broke the binding at M45. Since the Caldwell objects were harder to find I broke that binding (in the cold and all the pages fell out, so I bought a replacement. I liked the hidden treasures object list better than the Caldwell one, but did not like the heaviness and length of the book, to much to read while observing. Secret deep resorted to computer images vs. his excellent hand drawn images, but his object selection was just as good, and weight was about same as Caldwell book.
I take all his DSO series books everytime I observe, as well as S&T laminated Messier and Caldwell 8x10" object charts (and wish they had HT and SD charts as well). Peennington's Messier Marathon is also a great Messier finder book with hand drawn images (but sequenced for March/April's Messier Marathon, so I put tabs sticking out of the pages in M numbered order.

Just got an amazon update that my pre-ordered "Southern Treasures" the next in the series is not expected to be shipped till April. I wond with this one, if O'Meara will have covered all of the H400 in detail (and if so then maybe he will combine all into a detailed H400 version).

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Geo557, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 396

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics