Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1
Aperturefever

Reged: 12/12/10

Loc: Lake Macquarie, Australia
Arachnophobia cured: the Tarantula Nebula
      #5669787 - 02/08/13 09:16 PM Attachment (85 downloads)

As Alex has pointed out previously, we have had a terrible run of clear, moonlesss nights on the east coast of Australia this summer. I have been itching to have a go at the Tarantula Nebula and, rusty as I obviously am, I took it on last night from my suburban back yard. A DGM Optics filter makes this thing explode into photo-like tendils of nebulosity and dust lanes.
It's my favourite nebula in the sky because of its intricate nature, but a lack of practice and technique meant I didn't really nail it as I would have liked. I wasn't quite sure what I had got at the eyepiece until I saw it in the daylight - it was better than what I felt I had, but I still think this is a practice run and am looking forward to trying again at my dark sky site.
This is in a 16" with a Paracorr II and 13mm Ethos. An awesome eyepiece but impossible to try and frame - the field of view was bigger than this, but this is how it turned out. I spent about 1.5 hours at the eyepiece and am just loving my Catsperch - you can really concentrate on what you're doing.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Andrev
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/08/11

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Re: Arachnophobia cured: the Tarantula Nebula new [Re: Aperturefever]
      #5669805 - 02/08/13 09:32 PM

I don't know this nebula but it's a very nice representation. Nice sketch.

Andre

maroubra_boy
Vendor - Gondwana Telescopes

Reged: 09/08/09

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: Arachnophobia cured: the Tarantula Nebula new [Re: Andrev]
      #5669974 - 02/08/13 11:46 PM

Sunshine, 'bout time you put the donk to use!

And you chose one heck of a beast to tackle first off! Sensational! Nothing like wrestling a croc with a Bowie knife first time you go hunting - same here, and you've survived with only some skin scraped off the knuckles,

Now, let's see some more.

Alex.

frank5817
Postmaster

Reged: 06/13/06

Loc: Illinois
Re: Arachnophobia cured: the Tarantula Nebula new [Re: maroubra_boy]
      #5670062 - 02/09/13 02:05 AM

Hello Sean,

I have seen a few sketches of the Tarantula neb and quite a few photos and based on my very limited experience (a very far north of the equator person) it is a lovely eyepiece capture. What is with you aussies astronomers are you all wonderfully artistic or what?

Frank

mike73

Reged: 05/01/12

Loc: UK Plymouth
Re: Arachnophobia cured: the Tarantula Nebula new [Re: frank5817]
      #5670180 - 02/09/13 05:50 AM

I dont know this nebula either but the sketch looks terrific!

niteskystargazer
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/05/09

Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W
      #5670437 - 02/09/13 10:14 AM

Sean,

Very nice sketch of the Tarantula Nebula .

CS,KLU,

Tom

PeterDob
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/29/05

Loc: CarĂ¹, Italy
Re: Arachnophobia cured: the Tarantula Nebula new [Re: niteskystargazer]
      #5670608 - 02/09/13 12:03 PM

OMG!!! Yet another work worthy of a museum! And you call this "rusty"??? I'm deeply impressed mate! You and Alex are both great artists and I can't wait to see more of your work. Absolutely fabulous!

Peter

Jef De Wit
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/09

Loc: Hove, Belgium
Re: Arachnophobia cured: the Tarantula Nebula new [Re: PeterDob]
      #5670646 - 02/09/13 12:29 PM

What a detail Impressive work!

Special Ed
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/03

Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W
Re: Arachnophobia cured: the Tarantula Nebula new [Re: Jef De Wit]
      #5670857 - 02/09/13 02:35 PM

Looks to me like you got a lot of the rust knocked off--very nicely done! What an amazing object the TN must be.

Aperturefever

Re: Arachnophobia cured: the Tarantula Nebula new [Re: Special Ed]
      #5671369 - 02/09/13 08:19 PM

Thanks for the encouragement everyone - I do appreciate it. Alex, you're cracking the whip - there's a suprise
The Tarantula Nebula is NGC 2070 and hangs off the Large Magellanic Cloud. It is one of the most intricate, busy-looking nebulae in the sky and a real tough challenge. I note I wrote on the sketch it was done with a 10mm Ethos - I think the late night was getting to me, as it was a 13mm (I don't have a 10mm). I believe I was thinking at the time how I had seemed to zone in on the view and cut some of the surrounds out, giving it more a 10mm view. I think my next shot at this will use an 8mm Ethos. In the past I used to sketch from the outside of the view towards the centre, but using an Ethos I think I will now just work my way out from the centre so I can get the star fields right.

HellsKitchen
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/05/08

Loc: Melbourne Australia
      #5673868 - 02/11/13 11:25 AM

Beautiful. Very detailed and truly captured what it looks like in a large aperture.

Conversely we had many clear nights in Melbourne, and I am looking at purchasing a property near Mildura where it's been clear almost every day for the last 3 months (I've observed there before and it's been stunning), although even my thinking about it has resulted in a highly unusual forecast of showers and storms every day this week, downgraded from "sunny" eveery single day!!!!!

Edited by HellsKitchen (02/11/13 11:26 AM)

Aperturefever

Re: Arachnophobia cured: the Tarantula Nebula new [Re: HellsKitchen]
      #5678535 - 02/13/13 10:56 PM

Quote:

Beautiful. Very detailed and truly captured what it looks like in a large aperture.

Conversely we had many clear nights in Melbourne, and I am looking at purchasing a property near Mildura where it's been clear almost every day for the last 3 months (I've observed there before and it's been stunning), although even my thinking about it has resulted in a highly unusual forecast of showers and storms every day this week, downgraded from "sunny" eveery single day!!!!!

Geez mate it rains for a month of Sundays when you buy a new eyepiece. A whole dark sky site? We better build an ark then ...

JimPie
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/10/07

Loc: S.E.Michigan
      #5679535 - 02/14/13 01:48 PM

So many of us Northern astronomers have never seen this or anything else in the LMC (including myself). Thanks for posting a beautiful rendering of this object.
I also like what you've done to your Light Bridge Love the color and mods.

Aperturefever

Re: Arachnophobia cured: the Tarantula Nebula new [Re: JimPie]
      #5682609 - 02/15/13 11:44 PM

Thanks for the props, Jim. ATMing and sketching are on a level standing as satisfying pursuits go! This site is fun to look through, even if you can't see the LMC from your location: http://cloudsofmagellan.net.au/ Given I'm showing the Tarantula off to a lot of people who can't see it, I think I'll revisit it soon for a closer look.

Ed D
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/30/10

Loc: Sunny South Florida
      #5686509 - 02/18/13 07:39 AM

I Googled the Tarantula and compared your sketch with APs. You did a very nice job of sketching the nebula, including quite a bit of detail.

Ed D

Aperturefever

Re: Arachnophobia cured: the Tarantula Nebula new [Re: Ed D]
      #5691593 - 02/20/13 07:35 PM

Thanks Ed - this nebula is very mottled and intricate - something I feel I missed a bit of and am looking forward to giving it another whirl at my dark sky site. I've been experimenting at my desk, using a combination of the Mellish Technique and some other sketching techniques I used when I was an art student many years ago. I guess it's all about finding out what your own method is by blending a bit of everything else. I'm looking forward to using the method I've come up with to see how it works while juggling a clipboard under torchlight. It was interesting to use the Astrocrumb filter slide on the Tarantula - a fun project would be to combine the OIII and Omega Optics NPB filter views. So many projects ... but so many cloudy nights ...

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, JayinUT, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1155

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics