Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Questar Forum

Pages: 1
seeindoubles

Reged: 01/15/12

Loc: Pacific Northwest-Oregon
Another check off the old bucket list! new
      #5590527 - 12/26/12 11:37 PM

I recently became the proud owner of a beautiful pre-owned 1998 Standard with broadband coatings & Powerguide II. It is exactly as I would have ordered if I was getting a new one. I have wanted a Questar since I was about 14 having come close a couple of times. Of course the new telescope curse is in full effect here in Oregon with near unceasing rain the last week and a half.

It was an EBay purchase (Thanks Matt!). I have heard of scams on Ebay but this owner was the real thing and knew his Questar too. I am very happy to give it a good home and use it often. It will not be a "Hanger Queen"

I am looking forward to viewing Jupiter and all my favorite doubles soon as I get a break in the weather!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mike E.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/26/10

Loc: Moonstone Observatory
Re: Another check off the old bucket list! new [Re: seeindoubles]
      #5590714 - 12/27/12 04:19 AM

Know all too well about the unceasing rain, would like to come to Oregon for the "better" weather.
Congrats on your new aquisition.

justfred

Reged: 09/24/10

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama, USA
      #5591735 - 12/27/12 08:05 PM

Let me add my congratulations also, Seein.

It took me 50 years to get a Questar. I think you'll agree the wait was worth it.

Send us some pix of this beauty!

I agree they were not meant to be hangar queens. Although we may have to do some hangar observing for a day or two more. We're under the clouds here in the Southeast also. At least the nasty weather is gone for a while.

Fred

la200o
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/09/08

Loc: SE Michigan, USA
Re: Another check off the old bucket list! new [Re: justfred]
      #5592270 - 12/28/12 08:39 AM

Ah, the Oregon weather. Cannot imagine a worse climate for astronomy, at least in the "winter." Well, maybe all things considered, Michigan is worse. . .

Go Ducks!

Bill

seeindoubles

Re: Another check off the old bucket list! new [Re: la200o]
      #5593674 - 12/29/12 12:55 AM

I have spent more time thinking and dreaming about using my telescopes than actually using them. I have a place in Central Oregon where my POD is, in Lapine. The skies there can be amazing because there is very little light pollution, even from town since it is still pretty small. Winters there have lots of snow and extremely cold in-between but if you put in the time to clear away the snow and prep up to observe the sky is fantastic. Still, temps can get down below zero pretty regularly so you have to be really motivated to go out.

But, in the Summer it is a great place to be. Lots of great spots to take your grab and go and of course black skies for your big tubes to ogle.

seeindoubles

#5660178 - 02/03/13 03:15 PM Attachment (50 downloads)

Finally go a little break in the weather. I am just using a wine barrel to set the scope on. It is the perfect height with the chair I am using so I can sit and be comfortable. I had to adjust the finder mirror as it was quite a bit off. Now I can get Polaris in the center of the finder and it is just off center with a 16mm Brandon when I flip from finder to eyepiece. It is nice when things work :-)

I have mostly been viewing doubles. Polaris is a great first check since you need to look at it to align with the pole anyway. Nice airy discs and instant snap-to focus. Turn the knob just a tiny bit inside or outside focus and you instantly see the result. There is no guessing where focus is.

Jupiter is excellent. We have had a pronounced inversion here the last week or so and though it kills the transparency, the atmosphere is very steady. Images are great at the eyepiece. I have to admit I am spoiled by my nice Teleview eyepieces. The Brandons are nice and clear but the field of view is much narrower unless you have complete darkness for your eyes to adjust. I have too many lights around. I have tried my 10mm Radian and the view with the better eyepieces is impressive.

Last night I decided to try my SBIG STi guider/planet cam. Results weren't too bad for a first try on the Q. I didn't have it as accurately aligned with the pole as I should have so the image kept drifting slowly out of the field. The Powerguide works well to keep correcting for the next exposure though. I will try to attach a couple shots here.

Edited by seeindoubles (02/03/13 03:23 PM)

John F
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/16/04

Loc: Washington State
Re: Another check off the old bucket list! new [Re: la200o]
      #5662669 - 02/04/13 10:56 PM

Quote:

Ah, the Oregon weather. Cannot imagine a worse climate for astronomy, at least in the "winter." Well, maybe all things considered, Michigan is worse. . .

Bill, there are two Oregons and the one you're thinking of is on the Pacific ocean side of the Cascade Mountains. I live 120 North of the Oregon boarder and on the Pacific Mountain side of the Cascades as well. So I'm quite familiar witht the the Pacific NW weather but on the eastern side of the Cascade Mountain Range in Oregon the seeing conditions are much better. For the past 12 years I've made between 1 - 3 trips down there every year to do observing there between the months of April to October.

Last September I finally made it to Steens Mountain in the far Southeast Corner of Oregon State and was able to drive up to 9720 feet on that mountain and observe at one of the darkest locations to be found anywhere in the lower 48 states. It was also amazing to have a site like that on a mild/moonless Sept night all to myself and for an astronomer it was like heaven on earth.

John Finnan

seeindoubles

Re: Another check off the old bucket list! new [Re: John F]
      #5666153 - 02/06/13 10:23 PM

We're going out to The Steens this Summer! I can hardly wait.

John F
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/16/04

Loc: Washington State
      #5666269 - 02/06/13 11:46 PM

Quote:

We're going out to The Steens this Summer! I can hardly wait.

Some advice if you're thinking about Steens. First, make sure the weather forecast is for clear and sunny skies for several days in a row when you're going down there. It can get quite windy up on the top and it also has a reputation for violent thunderstorms. Don't take the risk if the weather looks like it might be iffy during the time when you're thinking of going. Be patient, one of these years the conditions will be just right and that's why I went last September.

Second, go in August or Sept but not July. In July there is still a fair amount of snow up top and lots of mosquitos up there. I ran into that problem during the Summer of 1998 and it ruined my visit/ observing trip down there that year.

Also there are many other locations you can go to in Lake, Harney or Malheur counties to observe (with elevations ranging from 4,000 - 7,000 feet). They're not as high or dark as the top of Steens, but they're still very dark. The southeast corner of Oregon has some of the darkest skies to be found anywhere in the continental US.

John Finnan

seeindoubles

Re: Another check off the old bucket list! new [Re: John F]
      #5670103 - 02/09/13 03:20 AM

Thanks for the advice! I have been out there before but never to just observe with my telescopes. We used to hunt Antelope out that way and go every couple years on a Varmint safari in the entire surrounding area. Even if you don't get in any shooting it is a fascinating part of Oregon to explore.

Mike E.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/26/10

Loc: Moonstone Observatory
Re: Another check off the old bucket list! [Re: seeindoubles]
      #5670176 - 02/09/13 05:43 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the advice! I have been out there before but never to just observe with my telescopes. We used to hunt Antelope out that way and go every couple years on a Varmint safari in the entire surrounding area. Even if you don't get in any shooting it is a fascinating part of Oregon to explore.

Great varmint hunting outside of Fort Bidwell. Don't know if they still do it, but Cedarville just to the south, used to put on an annual depradation shoot, known as "The Squirrel Wars". The area also has dark skies.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2577

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics