Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1
briancrane

Reged: 10/29/10

Loc: Overland Park, KS
NS11GPS motor & hand controllers new
      #5664472 - 02/05/13 11:10 PM

Had my NS11 for several years now and only have one issue. I'm running on version 1.0 on both the motor controller and the hand controller. Years ago contacted Celestron and got RMA's for both but for a variety of reasons never sent either back and Celestron will no longer honor them. Anyone know how I can get them both upgraded short of having to purchase new? Hate to do that since I'd lose the GPS alignment even though it's off a few degrees on the alignment stars.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Thanatos78621

Reged: 05/09/12

Loc: Elgin, TX
Re: NS11GPS motor & hand controllers new [Re: briancrane]
      #5664751 - 02/06/13 07:49 AM

There's a guy in Canada that can do both. Below is the link to his website listing his prices. I recently contacted him about these services and he's still doing them at the prices listed on the page.

http://www.astrogeeks.com/AstroGeeks/upgrades.html

Bob Griffiths
Getting Grouchy

Reged: 10/10/05

Loc: Frederick Maryland
Re: NS11GPS motor & hand controllers new [Re: Thanatos78621]
      #5664847 - 02/06/13 09:16 AM

To be honest I did not like the idea of loosing a GPS alignment either AT FIRST...when I used my 8i

But after I used the newer version 4.xx HC it took me all of 3 times out with the scope to completely forget ever doing a GPS alignment..

Personally i live quite well without the ability to a GPS alignment ..and I even smile more..

Bob G.

Edward E
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/26/06

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
      #5667449 - 02/07/13 04:37 PM

I used this service ~ 4 years ago for my NS11 GPS. Communications with the gentleman were excellent, service was super fast and I have never had any issues with the MC afterward. The upgrade from MC 2.0 to 4.18 was a huge improvement in performance and reliability.

Last year I purchased a new HC (notice no "+" at the end of HC) before they are out of stock and all we have left is the less functional HC+. I still have my HC 1.6 as a back up.

tjay
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/03/07

Loc: just outside of Toronto
Re: NS11GPS motor & hand controllers new [Re: Edward E]
      #5668111 - 02/07/13 11:31 PM

I had Andre fix my hand controller when the serial port stopped working. Excellent communication, and very fast.

cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/26/12

Re: NS11GPS motor & hand controllers [Re: tjay]
      #5670448 - 02/09/13 10:21 AM

I was beta testing the new align process so moved away from the GPS align early. I've never missed it, it's easy to get roughly pointed at the first star, then tighten the clutches and do the final adjustment. The scope will slew to the second star. The MC has had incremental improvements over the years and seems much better now.

I didn't realise there was any functionality not available with the Nexstar+ HC, what is it?

Chris

PS it was nice watching the GPS scope doing it's alignment dance though

Edited by cn register 5 (02/09/13 10:22 AM)

Edward E
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: NS11GPS motor & hand controllers new [Re: cn register 5]
      #5672626 - 02/10/13 04:16 PM

Chris, the new HC Plus does not have a complete NGC catalog, the IC catalog is missing and the DSO catalogs are now several menus + scroll up/down to access. IMHO it is not as user friendly as the old HC; maybe Celestron plans to had other features to the HC with this new setup or they plan to sale us these functions that use to be free with the old HC. Time will tell.

cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/26/12

#5674494 - 02/11/13 05:24 PM

I've just tried it, there is an IC catalogue, and also an NGC catalogue. Exactly what items are missing? I see no evidence there are any missing items in the NGC or IC catalogues.

It's slightly different to get to them, press the deep sky button and select the catalogue you need but it doesn't seem more difficult.

I find that having an identify button is better than having every catalogue on a dedicated button.

I've been using it for a bit and it seems a little different, but no more difficult to use.

Chris

dragonslayer1
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/25/12

Loc: SLC, UT
      #5675502 - 02/12/13 10:01 AM

Last night was first night able to use scope in almost a month, got it all set up and went to align and no matter what I did kept saying no stars in data base, verified correct lat. long. date time and std time. When tried solar align it would give mars moon and Venus even tho Jupiter was right overhead. Last time used it it was good. Tried to reflash but had upgraded to windows 7 and only got Com port 3 and would not recognize handset. I had dropped handset before and had loose parts and fixed it,, but just ordered a new one... Now here's the kicker, has anyone reflashed with Windows 7? I have a HP laptop, have reflashed handset and motor before, but now with win 7 am wondering if anyone else has had Com port 3 and not recognizing handset no matter what they tried short of going into control panel and resetting com port via help page

Thanatos78621

Reged: 05/09/12

Loc: Elgin, TX
Re: NS11GPS motor & hand controllers new [Re: dragonslayer1]
      #5675539 - 02/12/13 10:24 AM

I flashed my 8SEs hand controller last year with a system running Windows 7 with no issues.

Have you tried using NexRemote from you computer to see if it can properly detect the hand controller and/or control your telescope?

dragonslayer1
scholastic sledgehammer

#5676225 - 02/12/13 04:36 PM

Finally got computer to work but after reflash still would not locate stars for align and had filter limit across upper display line this time ( was 12* degrees last night so display was slow).. Reset handset to factory settings and that fixed it. The only thing I can figure is after last use kept getting slew limits ( is on a wedge) so verify had one set for -90* less my 40* lat. and set other one to avoid the slew limit message but must have entered it wrong

Edward E
scholastic sledgehammer

#5681068 - 02/15/13 10:17 AM

Sorry for the delay in responding, been at a training class this week.

I do not have the "Plus" series HC so I am going with what the Offical Celestron HC Plus manual said, which is:
Quote:

The Deep Sky catalog displays a list of all of the best Galaxies, Nebulae and Clusters, as well as the complete Messier and select NGC objects.

no mention of the IC or other catalogs. Having a "select NGC" catalog and not the complete catalog is less functional.

For me it is simpler & faster to have dedicated buttons for the most often used catalogs. Press the catalog button, enter the numeric ID and press enter your off and running. The way the HC Plus does it is OK, you achieve the same end product, it's just not as transparent as the old way.

Edward E
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: NS11GPS motor & hand controllers new [Re: dragonslayer1]
      #5681105 - 02/15/13 10:38 AM

What method of "Align" are you trying to use? Sounds like you are trying to do a 1 or 2 star align and not getting a list of stars to align on; is that correct? If you use Sky Align then there are no list of stars to use, you just point to any "bright" star and do the center in finder, center in eyepiece then repeat the process 2 more time; if successful you have an aligned scope. Best to use stars widely spaced across the whole sky but not too low. I find stars ~ 30 degrees above the horizon work well and I always use Polaris as one of my alignment stars.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#5681210 - 02/15/13 11:24 AM

The description of the Plus object library is confusing, but the object total is still over 40,000 and includes the NGC/IC...

Edited by rmollise (02/15/13 01:25 PM)

dragonslayer1
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: NS11GPS motor & hand controllers new [Re: rmollise]
      #5681283 - 02/15/13 12:00 PM

Hey Edward,, it was the way I had set up my slew limit that caused main problem; am on a wedge and had slew limit to lat - 90* but started getting slew limit on normal things I have always viewed. I reset it with no limits but was on filter limit page and not slew limit page I think and that was first time out trying it. Had it out for about 20 minutes last night and worked ok for align after factory reset. But I had one too many drops on it and it locked up again ,,, new handset will be here today

Pages: 1

Extra information
7 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, Mitchell Duke, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1197

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics