Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
edwinh

Reged: 03/01/08

Loc: Chandler AZ
side-by-side mount alignment tweaking? new
      #5668945 - 02/08/13 12:43 PM

I recently got a side-by-side dovetail plate for my CG5 w/ ioptron gotonova. Put C80ED refractor and C90 little Mak on it, it works out pretty well for being able to have wide and narrow views at same time, or view with multiple people. Strictly visual interest - I haven't had the photo bug bite me yet.

Of course, its a little off between the two.

I have read up on how to get the scopes to line up exactly, default answer is to mount one in guide rings. I could do that with my C80ED, but I like the thing to be *secure*, and with a 2" diagonal, heavy eyepiece, and finder (and my son wondering around if he's with me), I don't really trust those 3-point rings to hang onto the scope without slipping. (someone can tell me if I am wrong). The other answer is the expensive dovetail clamps with adjustments I have seen a couple. Don't really want to put that much money into a small annoyance.

I have the orion narrow side by side plate (I think its same as ADM). Has anyone tried to shim with foil or otherwise align it or something? Would be some trial and error and would need to always put each scope in on the same side. Saw a few mentions of this in the archives but has anyone done it that can comment? Thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DaveJ
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/07/05

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: side-by-side mount alignment tweaking? new [Re: edwinh]
      #5669317 - 02/08/13 03:59 PM

Quote:

Has anyone tried to shim with foil or otherwise align it or something? Would be some trial and error and would need to always put each scope in on the same side. Saw a few mentions of this in the archives but has anyone done it that can comment?

Yup, I've done it. Really annoying, and when the mount goes to the other side of the meridian, it doesn't hold the alignment. I went to the three-point rings and I prefer them. No slipping at all and it's so easy to adjust for perfect alignment. I use the ADM rings shown here.

Lane
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/19/07

Loc: Frisco, Texas
      #5669330 - 02/08/13 04:08 PM

This is why I stopped doing side by side setups and just started carrying two mounts with me. If the scopes are not to far off then shimming does work, but it just takes so long sometimes to make it work, I tired of the process and stopped. I did my shimming with folded thick tin foil.

If you don't want to use rings, then ADM makes an expensive device that will do the trick but you would need to remove one of your saddles and install a d-series dovetail for this adjustable saddle to attach to your cross bar.

Raginar
Postmaster

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
Re: side-by-side mount alignment tweaking? new [Re: Lane]
      #5669525 - 02/08/13 06:10 PM

I use rings on my ED80 with a moonlight and a ST-10 and it holds alignment with my other scopes just fine.

ADM rings on an MDS bar.

Works just fine!

wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/11

Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal
Re: side-by-side mount alignment tweaking? new [Re: Lane]
      #5669606 - 02/08/13 06:49 PM

Quote:

This is why I stopped doing side by side setups and just started carrying two mounts with me. If the scopes are not to far off then shimming does work, but it just takes so long sometimes to make it work, I tired of the process and stopped. I did my shimming with folded thick tin foil.

If you don't want to use rings, then ADM makes an expensive device that will do the trick but you would need to remove one of your saddles and install a d-series dovetail for this adjustable saddle to attach to your cross bar.

You can get the female version of the MaxGuider (I have three of them.. Need to sell two.. lol) and then use a losmandy D to Vixen Male/Male adapter.. Just more weight though..

hottr6
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/28/09

Loc: 7,500', Magdalena Mtns, NM
Re: side-by-side mount alignment tweaking? [Re: edwinh]
      #5670463 - 02/09/13 10:30 AM

I just use Ken Dauzat's NLA adjustable side-by-side saddles. I can mount two 'scopes and have them aligned to 6" of each other in minutes. Makes for easy same-magnification views.

I modified his saddle by drilling extra holes so that I can move the 2 saddles closer to each other.

edwinh

Reged: 03/01/08

Loc: Chandler AZ
Re: side-by-side mount alignment tweaking? new [Re: hottr6]
      #5693462 - 02/21/13 08:09 PM

Ok, I think I am fixed. Got some orion 105mm guide rings and dovetail on special. They fit fine on the C80ED. not the best I know but good enough to try. BUT the silly rings + dovetail had the bolts sticking out the bottom... some dremel-tool work on the plate, and different bolts, and now it sits flush on the side by side plate. Seems very secure so my fears were for naught.

I want to try it all but of course now I have clouds... !#$#$%

Bowmoreman
Clear enough skies

Reged: 09/11/06

Loc: Bolton, MA
      #5698562 - 02/24/13 04:40 PM

I've been really happy with my Optech Libra, that I reviewed here on CN Around 2 or 3 years ago... Still holding my FSQ106ED sturdily... And I can tweak the alignment at any time, when I swap out the C11 for the TOA, and vice versa...

Not cheap, but oh so solid and easy and fast.

JAT Observatory
NOT a Wimp

Reged: 02/20/05

Loc: In the Primordial Soup
Re: side-by-side mount alignment tweaking? new [Re: Bowmoreman]
      #5698895 - 02/24/13 08:42 PM

I have one of those also. I use it for both side-by-side and piggy back mounting. I used to use rings, what a pain that was. The Optec device makes alignment between the 2 scopes a breeze.

wcstarguy

Reged: 12/04/08

Re: side-by-side mount alignment tweaking? new [Re: JAT Observatory]
      #5704551 - 02/27/13 11:57 PM Attachment (8 downloads)

I assembled a "Frankenmount" out of pipe and various purchased parts. I have been mounting a little st80 achro together with my c90. The l bracket (from Orion) allows me to adjust the c90 to match the st80. Not a perfect setup and would not work with much larger tubes but does well for my small needs. wc

Pages: 1

Extra information
25 registered and 44 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 990

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics