Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
berlinstar

Reged: 03/28/11

Loc: Berlin Center, OH
Re: Brick walls for an observatory? new [Re: JJK]
      #5667359 - 02/07/13 03:58 PM

Not if it was engineered correctly. Proper venting and air space between inner and outer brick will work. It comes down to economics, build time, and cheaper, more efficient alternatives.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
zawijava
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/06/07

Loc: Wells, Maine 04090
Re: Brick walls for an observatory? new [Re: berlinstar]
      #5667516 - 02/07/13 05:17 PM

This would certainly keep the inside wall of bricks cooler but the warm outside wall would cause a rising plume of warm air all around the observatory until they reached ambient temps, correct ? -Tim

Quote:

If money wasn't an object (brick seems to be pretty expensive these days), I would think that you could build an airspace between two walls of bricks, to provide an air-space and insulate the inside from outside wall. I've seen late 1900's brick homes built this way.

timwetherell
sage

Reged: 09/03/10

Loc: A Land Down Under
Re: Brick walls for an observatory? new [Re: Hilmi]
      #5667519 - 02/07/13 05:20 PM

One problem is that I don't know they export to Australia? And if we move it would most likely be overseas again. From the site it does look like they do kits though so I'll keep it in mind

timwetherell
sage

Re: Brick walls for an observatory? new [Re: Hilmi]
      #5667522 - 02/07/13 05:23 PM

Quote:

At least I get to use the telescope every night because I dont have to worry about set up.

Yep exactly! Dragging the beast out is such a task that I'm not using it nearly as much as it deserves - an observatory seems the right way to go!

timwetherell
sage

Re: Brick walls for an observatory? new [Re: zawijava]
      #5667537 - 02/07/13 05:30 PM

I guess brick has a big heat capacity (hence their use in storage radiators) so in theory it may be bad but I've no direct experience myself which is why these discussions are so cool - can hear from those who have

Brick or concrete definitely wouldn't be portable. Perhaps I could make a temporary skin in metal then replace it with airated concrete blocks on the final version? Like the idea of growing stuff up it too!

mikey cee
Postmaster

Reged: 01/18/07

Loc: bellevue ne.
Re: Brick walls for an observatory? new [Re: timwetherell]
      #5667577 - 02/07/13 06:01 PM

Conctrete blocks that are 6"x8"x16" have some decorative faces on them. They are easier to lay and make a circular layout easier than 8" block. Plus the hollow cores help insulte against heated air. They don't have abilty to do the intricate designs around the faux pas windows etc. Fake brick panels look like *BLEEP* when it comes outside corner joints etc. etc. They also make concrete bricks that are solid but are cheaper than clay bricks. I really comes down to tradeoffs and higher labor costs. Mike

JJK
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/28/08

Re: Brick walls for an observatory? new [Re: zawijava]
      #5667623 - 02/07/13 06:28 PM

Quote:

This would certainly keep the inside wall of bricks cooler but the warm outside wall would cause a rising plume of warm air all around the observatory until they reached ambient temps, correct ? -Tim

Quote:

If money wasn't an object (brick seems to be pretty expensive these days), I would think that you could build an airspace between two walls of bricks, to provide an air-space and insulate the inside from outside wall. I've seen late 1900's brick homes built this way.

That would be my guess, based on experience.

JJK
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/28/08

#5667628 - 02/07/13 06:31 PM

Quote:

One problem is that I don't know they export to Australia? And if we move it would most likely be overseas again. From the site it does look like they do kits though so I'll keep it in mind

Shipping to Australia would likely be high. However, a similar design would not be difficult to build by yourself.

timwetherell
sage

Re: Brick walls for an observatory? new [Re: JJK]
      #5667666 - 02/07/13 06:57 PM

They're definitely very beautiful - way better than one would expect for something termed a "shed". One worry I'd have about wood is that Australia has a nasty habit of catching fire all the time. I guess as we saw at Stromlo, if you take a direct hit from a firestorm pretty much nothing will save you. But it does rain hot embers from time to time which can set fire to shingle roof.

I think from a seeing perspective wood is close to ideal though

timwetherell
sage

Re: Brick walls for an observatory? new [Re: mikey cee]
      #5667671 - 02/07/13 07:02 PM

Quote:

Fake brick panels look like *BLEEP* when it comes outside corner joints etc

Yes I can imagine they have a tendency to peel open if you're not careful just how they're set in place. I think we'd be aiming for a painted look regardless so there's more options for fillers etc if you don't care what the colour of them is.

I do worry that if we grew plants up the side (as apparently we will I'm told) they'd creep in the joints and bad things would result

seryddwr
Innocent Bystander

Reged: 02/19/10

Loc: La-la land.
      #5668324 - 02/08/13 04:03 AM

I saw this at my local hardware store, today. I don't know whether they have anything like this in Oz, but anyway, it appears to be an aerated concrete, cast into fake vernier stones that are individually glued onto a wall.

roscoe
curmudgeon

Reged: 02/04/09

Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT
Re: Brick walls for an observatory? new [Re: seryddwr]
      #5669018 - 02/08/13 01:20 PM

Tim,

Well, that fine scope of yours DOES need a classy observatory!!

What about the idea of making fake face bricks out of wood timber pieces, cutting something like 2x8" stock into 16" long pieces, bevel the edges so as to look brick-like, and apply them over a plywood skin (could be screwed on from inside the skin) Decorative sections could be shaped into the wood or created with different thickness stock, and if you painted it with textured paint, would look very brick-like from a distance......or you could stucco it for a more real, and more fireproof, exterior. The whole could be made to be light enough that it could be un-bolted from its foundation piers and loaded aboard a tilt-bed truck.
An 8-sided structure built this way would be quite elegant!

Russ

timwetherell
sage

Re: Brick walls for an observatory? new [Re: roscoe]
      #5670032 - 02/09/13 01:12 AM

Thanks Russ

Yes it's about time it had a proper home. We might use some sort of wood and a stucco effect - still debating. I'm actually doing experiments with the roof materials to see what's best in the sun. So far a double skin of aluminium is the winner.

There's also the question of what kind of roof. My wife's totally set on a roof that essentially disappears because she like just watching the sky - especially the satellites going over. But from the outside we want it to look like a domes structure. So, current plan is a system like a pedal bin, where the dome flips over and off

rimcrazy
sage

Reged: 03/03/12

Loc: Overgaard, AZ
      #5670218 - 02/09/13 07:09 AM

Just panel your roof with these You could then have a Head up Display overlay of the night sky.

Of course you will probably have to mortgage your house to do it.

Kinda cool actually but I'm sure besides the cost, there are a host of other impracticalities but interesting none the least.

mikey cee
Postmaster

Reged: 01/18/07

Loc: bellevue ne.
Re: Brick walls for an observatory? [Re: rimcrazy]
      #5670522 - 02/09/13 11:11 AM

I guess my only real dislike of bricks is the labor. It is a slow process even for professional masons. Also it takes a real pro to layout brick so that you space and cut things properly to avoid getting painted into a corner. Awfully lot of cutting and brick is a SOB to cut. Mike

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
7 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Christopher Erickson 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1637

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics