Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Equipment

Pages: 1
Crazyhorse1876

Reged: 01/26/13

Loc: Left Coast U.S.A.
Orion AccuFocus."Just so you know..." new
      #5669462 - 02/08/13 05:24 PM

Received my Orion AccuFocus yesterday.Just so you know be prepared to do some modifications to it. The 9volt battery compartment is to small for the battery. I had to take and peel the outer plastic covering with the brand name and such off of the battery and also carve some of the plastic out of the way in the battery compartment to get the 9volt battery in and get the cover reinstalled. Then I had to mod the mounting bracket by drilling two more holes(it already has 8 holes in it!)to fit my Celestron rack-and-pinion focuser as it is made more for Orion telescopes than other brands. I also had to hacksaw off the excess metal from the end of the mounting bracket because it hung way out from the focuser and was just to much in the way. And you will need to get longer screws for the mounting bracket or grind it down some to get the screws to go back into your rack-and-pinion focuser. Now that I have done all of that it works just great and really makes for much smoother focusing and way less movement of my OTA while focusing. So I am "now happy" that I got it.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Raginar
Postmaster

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
Re: Orion AccuFocus."Just so you know..." new [Re: Crazyhorse1876]
      #5669467 - 02/08/13 05:27 PM

Was it listed as working with your particular scope?

Crazyhorse1876

Re: Orion AccuFocus."Just so you know..." new [Re: Raginar]
      #5669483 - 02/08/13 05:37 PM

You got me on that one Raginar!As you probably know by my post "I did not" check the list but just made the purchase. I did know from reading the reviews of the AccuFocuser before my purchase that I was going to have to make some modifications to it and wanted to post that fact here for others that may be considering purchasing one.

beatlejuice
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/05/11

Loc: Hamilton, ON,Canada
      #5669514 - 02/08/13 05:59 PM

Sorry that you had so much trouble. I have to admit that the battery is a tight fit but I did manage to get it in there without modification. It was a perfect fit on my Celestron Omni 120. Is it possible that you got the crayford bracket by mistake? They are 2 different sizes.
Anyway glad that you got it working alright.

Eric

Crazyhorse1876

Re: Orion AccuFocus."Just so you know..." new [Re: beatlejuice]
      #5669552 - 02/08/13 06:20 PM

I received "both brackets" although I did not order it that way. Orion just sent it that way to me and it was lucky for me they did because the smaller bracket would not fit at all.I had to use and modify the crayford bracket witch is larger and gives you more metal to work with for modification. For me the darn battery compartment was more trouble than the bracket as it was just drill the two holes,hacksaw the excess metal off and screw the bracket on the focuser. And Orion does include two allen wrenches with the kit although I did not need them.

Raginar
Postmaster

Re: Orion AccuFocus."Just so you know..." [Re: Crazyhorse1876]
      #5670642 - 02/09/13 12:26 PM

Just checking Sounds like you had fun though. I had to do something similar with a Rigel adapter to make it work too.

The battery case part is a bit more troubling. Did you look at the other commercial setups such as Rigel? I've been VERY happy with mine so far. Considering it's a DC setup; it just 'works'. Obviously not temperature compensated and you need to calibrate it every time... but it works

Also, wasn't trying to be combative I really didn't look and was wondering if it was designed to work with it.

Phil Sherman
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/07/10

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
      #5670979 - 02/09/13 04:14 PM

I purchased a 1" wide brass strip from the local hobby store, bent a piece cut from it it to make an "L" bracket, drilled holes and had a mounting bracket for the motor to attach it to my Celestron C-114 alt/az reflector. I did have to pry one of the focusing knobs off to attach the motor to the focuser but that was a worthwhile project.

The worst thing about the autofocuser is that it's an analog device and can't be used for automated focusing when imaging. Eventually, I'll replace it with a stepper motor drive system that has repeatable positioning.

Phil

Raginar
Postmaster

Re: Orion AccuFocus."Just so you know..." new [Re: Phil Sherman]
      #5671401 - 02/09/13 08:43 PM

Phil,

Have you looked at an FCUSB or just getting the controller for a DC setup from Rigel Systems? I use DC motors for both my focusers... and I control them automatically using Focusmax and an FCUSB (Shoe String Astronomy).

Rigel Systems also has a USB option, but it uses their hand controller to tie into it.

Crazyhorse1876

#5671433 - 02/09/13 09:10 PM

@Raginar...Did not look at the Rigel Systems but will go take a look here in a bit. And I never thought you were being "combative" for one second my friend and I am very sorry if I came across that way to you.

Raginar
Postmaster

#5672131 - 02/10/13 10:52 AM

No worries I read into my posts sometimes. Glad you got the focuser working!

If you ever end up working from a computer, you can plug a DC motor into a Shoestring Astronomy FCUSB and it'll work from your computer!

Pages: 1

Extra information
3 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cbwerner, tecmage, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 891

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics